Calling all writers! What genre do you write?

Page 2 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

WarmAir
Raven
Raven

16 Apr 2013, 2:25 pm

I never got anything published, but I guess I can share. I'm a legend in my old neighborhood for a book I wrote (about a drug addict and his search for acceptance). It was a moralist (but not preachy) book I wrote was for teens. The book went from one neighbor to another and from one family member to another -- like a hard copy of a internet chain letter. It was semi-based on real life at the time. I actually wrote it because I had a crush on a guy in my class; and, when I like a guy, chances are he'll end up in a novel. That was 10 years ago, though -- but people are still asking me for to read it and also asking me if I wrote a sequel about what happened to the teen.

Cilantro
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Apr 2013, 3:28 pm

WarmAir wrote:
I never got anything published, but I guess I can share. I'm a legend in my old neighborhood for a book I wrote (about a drug addict and his search for acceptance). It was a moralist (but not preachy) book I wrote was for teens. The book went from one neighbor to another and from one family member to another -- like a hard copy of a internet chain letter. It was semi-based on real life at the time. I actually wrote it because I had a crush on a guy in my class; and, when I like a guy, chances are he'll end up in a novel. That was 10 years ago, though -- but people are still asking me for to read it and also asking me if I wrote a sequel about what happened to the teen.

Do you still have a copy? Maybe it would be worthwhile to look into publishing, since you've already got the fan base. :P

kouzoku
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2013, 3:56 pm

Erotica and poetry.

Zodai
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2013, 4:04 pm

It depends on the type of story that I'm writing - but usually near-future science fiction; although this is a large generalization.

Author/Writer

Azzazzel
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

18 Apr 2013, 11:45 am

Whatever I'm currently in the mood for. Lots of gothic, supernatural, science fiction, modern and fantasy.

PsychoSarah
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2013, 6:31 pm

poetry, and short stories with dark themes

I sing the song of silence,
so soft that none can here.
A song one will only know
when the others disappear.

WarmAir
Raven
Raven

22 Apr 2013, 8:19 pm

Cilantro wrote:
WarmAir wrote:

Do you still have a copy? Maybe it would be worthwhile to look into publishing, since you've already got the fan base. :P

Yah, I still have a copy, just don't know where it is. I had it on disk, but computers don't accept disk input anymore.

Spuggey
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Apr 2013, 7:02 pm

This is my first post on here so if it ends up in the wrong place, I apologise.

I'm a writer. I mostly write 'urban fantasy', meaning no dwarves or elves and such. It's all set in a world quite similar to our own, but certain fantsatic elements are included. I'm working on a series of superhero novels at the moment (I'm almost finished with book four). Aside from the series I have three other novels on the go and two that I want to start at some point.

I do most of my chatting about writing on the forums of Nanowrimo. If you love writing, check it out.

Cilantro
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Apr 2013, 2:38 pm

WarmAir wrote:
Cilantro wrote:
WarmAir wrote:

Yah, I still have a copy, just don't know where it is. I had it on disk, but computers don't accept disk input anymore.

Floppy? You could try a USB floppy drive.

WarmAir
Raven
Raven

26 Apr 2013, 5:21 pm

Cilantro wrote:

Floppy? You could try a USB floppy drive.

Yah, a floppy. I plan to save it to CD-Rom, and then use it in my new computer.

I got totally lost in the writers section at the bookshop today. I found a lot of great books with writing exercise and stuff. Badly, I found some ignorant stuff about autistics (which I will complain about in another tread). The only thing that stopped me was I got a hangnail and pulled it, and then it started to bleed. I didn't want to get the books dirty, so I left. Major leg and foot asleep that I'm glad to say nobody called the ambulance thinking I'm in more trouble than I was.

Holmesian
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Apr 2013, 5:37 pm

I'll try anything once, but 84% of my stuff is some either gothic mystery or noir-type mystery. *grins* My detective for the latter probably hates me, but his secretary probably hates me more.

Vertex
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Apr 2013, 4:59 pm

SCI-FI, but that was years ago. I can't seem to get into the writing spirit lately.

Trinab
Butterfly
Butterfly

02 May 2013, 8:03 pm

Epic Fantasy.

Specific genre can be hard to pin down however, as it draws influences from many other sources. Drama, Horror, Myth, Mystery...

However, the fact that it is set in a (roughly) Medieval fantasy world means it falls into the Fantasy genre by default.

DominictheStampede
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 May 2013, 4:32 pm

Short stories, fantasy, fanfiction, autobiography.

KayNic
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 May 2013, 4:52 pm

Mainly Fantasy and Horror. I completed a horror story last year and am now trying to get it published.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2013, 5:40 pm

KayNic wrote:
Mainly Fantasy and Horror. I completed a horror story last year and am now trying to get it published.

I wish you the best of luck - I'm currently trying to get something in salable order. Which horror fiction periodicals are you sending your story to?

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer