Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

28 Oct 2012, 11:35 pm

OK, people, this is a play idea I came up with over the weekend.

PLAY TITLE: The Worst Call(s) Ever!

ABSTRACT: Basically, it looks at 20 of the worst calls in sports, with anime/Homestuck/MLP characters recreating the infamous moments.

SYNOPSIS: Sports officiating is NOT an easy job. Every time an official takes to the field, ice or court, there's always a huge target on their backs, and they are expected to conduct their business in an impartial in professional manner. For their great accuracy, there is bound to be a misstep along the way, but some have been more monumental than others, and have changed the course of of sports history.

This play is an uproarious look at some of them; using wit, humor, and anime to tell each story, The Worst Call(s) Ever! aims to get a few laughs out of the most monumental officiating blunders and maybe educate some non-sports fans along the way; each sport gets its spot in the limelight.

(The reason I am using anime/Homestuck chars in my play? To reach a wider audience, that and my Aspies, as said before, has caused my interests to run together. This is that example.)

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."

aspiemike
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2012, 12:06 am

I can think of a few missteps and I am not sure which ones you are using. Interesting concept. Memorable missteps for me are

1986 Fifa World Cup- Argentina vs England. Argentina wins with help of the "hand of god" Diego Maradonna scores goal with handball. 1998- Detroit Lions vs Pittsburgh Steelers. Lions win in OT after Steelers captain calls for heads on the coin toss and the referee hears this as "tails" Heads wins.
1993- this could be used to poke fun at the Maple Leafs fans. Toronto Maple Leafs vs Los Angeles Kings in game 6 of Conference Finals. LA wins in OT after Wayne Gretzky accidently high sticks Doug Gilmour of the Maple Leafs causing Gilmour to bleed. No call is made for a penalty. Seconds, maybe minutes later, Gretzky scores the game winning goal, tying the series at 3-3 going back to Toronto for game 7. Wayne Gretzky scores 3 goals in a 5-4 win in Toronto, sending the Kings to the Stanely Cup finals.
2010- MLB baseball. A pitcher for the Detroit Tigers has went through 26 batters without letting one person on base. The 27th batter appears to ground out at first base, but the umpire calls him safe. The pitcher handles the miscall well, and the umpire admits that he makes a mistake later on when he gets the chance to see a replay after the game.
1998- NBA Finals game 6. Controversial to most fans of the Utah Jazz when they played the Chicago Bulls. Michael Jordan hits the game winning shot with seconds to go, but to some fans, it appears he deliberately pushed his defender off of him to get himself the open shot. Never the less, the basket counts, and Jordan wins his 6th and final NBA Championship

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2012, 12:09 am

It's all being ironed out ATM, but one that I will most def include will be the Packers/Seahawks fiasco of September. :D

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2012, 12:49 am

Have Comic Book Guy as the host, and you may be on to something.

"Worst. Calls. Ever."

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2012, 12:54 am

@Fnord: Love that idea! :D I'll also consider it too.

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2012, 8:50 am

I don't know whether to do the calls in random order, or chronological order.

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2012, 8:29 am

OK, the final name of this play will be: You Cannot Be Serious! The Worst. Calls. Ever.

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2012, 7:42 pm

---
COMIC BOOK GUY
The date: September 24, 2012. The place: CenturyLink Field in Seattle, Washington. The scene: With only eight seconds left in the fourth and final quarter, the Green Bay Packers held a 12-7 lead over the Seattle Seahawks. With their backs against the wall, the Seattle Seahawks tried, in one last ditch attempt to win, throw a hail mary from the Green Bay 40. What ensued next would go down in history as one of the biggest disasters of the replacement referee experiment in the NFL.........

(The QB for the Seahawks is Eridan. The recievers for Seattle are Vriska, Karkat and Sollux; the Packer defenders are Tavros, Feferi and Terezi.)

JOHN GLASGOW
Fourth down and ten; the Seahawks are down by 5, and need a touchdown to win the game.

PHIL SIMONOFF
Ya talk about a roll of the dice, this is it.

JOHN
Ampora ready.... takes the snap out of the shotgun, tries to evade a few Packers.... this is it, the final play, Eridan throws it, into the end zone! There a few Packers there...... and

(the quagmire in the endzone ensues)

OH, MY GOODNESS GRACIOUS! KARKAT VANTAS AND FEFERI HAVE BOTH GOT THE BALL, BUT THIS COULD BE VERY CLOSE! IT IS......

(Vinyl Scratch and Dr. Stein, two of the refs come close to the pile; Vinyl calls no time, Dr. Stein calls it a touchdown)

TOUCHDOWN! I CAN'T BELIEVE IT!

PHIL
NO! This has to be reviewed

JOHN
In a stunning turn of events, Vinyl Scratch said no time, but Dr. Stein said it was a touchdown! They're trying to determine who has it, but the Seahawks are celebrating like crazy; we cannot say with certainty about this yet; but the Seahawks have won!

PHIL
They are saying it will be reviewed.....

DR. STEIN
The play will be reviewed.

JOHN
We cannot say with absolute certainty who got it, but from our vantage point, Karkat had it at first, but Feferi Pexies also had it as well........ it also looked liked that Feferi tried to push off Karkat, and if that is the case than that would be a penalty.....

PHIL
Watch Karkat; he was trying to fight for the ball, but Feferi tries to get her hands on it, I believe that Feferi had intercepted the ball, but in the rule of simultaneous posession, you have the offensive player get credit.

JOHN
Packers coach Rose LaLonde is fretting a bit, she seems to be in tears; but coach Egbert of the Seahawks is in celebration mode. OK.... they seem to have reviewed it, and now here's Octavia with the call.

OCTAVIA
Upon further review, the call on the field stands, TOUCHDOWN!

JOHN
UNBELIEVEABLE! THE SEAHAWKS HAVE WON, ON ONE OF THE MOST CRAZIEST AND UNBELIEVEABLE FINISHES IN THE HISTORY OF SPORT!

(We see Rose accost Octavia, in tears, while John is in full celebration mode.)

ROSE
YOU SON OF A b***h! HOW COULD YOU?! FEFERI HAD IT FIRST, YOU IDIOT!

COMIC BOOK GUY
Technically, the game was not over; an extra point had to be tried. But the Seahawks prevailed in what would the tipping point in the replacement referee fiasco of the NFL; a few days later, the real refs struck a deal and were back on the field for the following week of action.
---
Here it is, the first segment of the play! Feedback is welcome; this is only a rough draft.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2012, 8:11 pm

equestriatola wrote:

You could do it by rank (lowest to highest) like they do on the radio ( the top 500 rock oldies of all time), or on MTV ( the 40 top videos of the 80's), or E! ( the top fifty celebrity sex scandals of all time) - least bad, to most bad.

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2012, 1:15 am

naturalplastic wrote:
equestriatola wrote:

You could do it by rank (lowest to highest) like they do on the radio ( the top 500 rock oldies of all time), or on MTV ( the 40 top videos of the 80's), or E! ( the top fifty celebrity sex scandals of all time) - least bad, to most bad.

Love that idea! Oh, and feedback is welcome for the first segment I have written thus far.

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2012, 4:32 am

I am still culling what plays to use ATM.... but the one you saw is one of them you will see.

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2012, 6:52 pm

Anybody have another ideas?

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2013, 2:27 am

I might write this play sometime. :D Just haven't had the time.