Page 140 of 297 [ 4748 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 137, 138, 139, 140, 141, 142, 143 ... 297  Next

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2013, 11:08 pm

The Atlantis Complex, the seventh book in the Artemis Fowl series by Eoin Colfer and will be listening to Storm of Swords, the third book in A Song of Fire and Ice series by R.R. Martin. I don't usually do two at once.

ruckus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Jan 2013, 4:09 am

I just finished reading Sum: Forty Tales of the Afterlives by David Eagleman. It's a series of very short stories describing multiple possible afterlives. It's more of an exercise in creative writing than a serious attempt at figuring out where we go when we die, but it's still very thought provoking, and ultimately spell-binding. I recommend giving it a read!

VMSmith
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2013, 11:12 am

Koolaids by rabieh alameddine.
it was really good. it's about lebanon, the queer lebanese community, HIV/AIDs, war, sectarianism, culture clashes in the queer diaspora, family, religion, history, life, death and that sort of stuff. i could identify with a lot of the stuff the diaspora queers in the novel experienced(because that's what i am i guess). also the guy references many places that i have been or go to or have lived in and it just made me realise that these places have stories. i mean i knew the places had history but if you walk past them they just seem boring but stuff happened there. the writing technique itself was wonderful to read as well. i will hunt down more of his books. i had meant to read this long ago and the people at HELEM (queer lib group in lebanon) love it too so i bought it. best book i have read in a long while.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2013, 3:40 pm

Commoner the Vagabond. It's about a man with undiagnosed Asperger's who suffered brain trauma while an airman at Vandenberg AFB and becomes homeless afterwards. He later becomes a celebrity because a cartoonist used his likeness for a TV show which became a hit on CBS. Through his trials and tribulations, his celebrity is used for good in regards to the homeless population in Seattle. It's an inspiring book about hope.

Catamount
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2013, 3:58 am

Catamount wrote:
Just finished The Will to Climb by Ed Viesturs and am starting Above the Clouds by Anatoli Boukreev. Good mountain literature. :)

Due to the Holidays, it took awhile to get through Above the Clouds but I've finished it just now and ordered Forever on the Mountain by James Tabor. Book examines a 1967 climbing expedition on Denali that went very wrong. Looking forward to reading it.

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2013, 3:49 pm

A wonderful collection of essays, articles, biography, and reviews about my favorite novel.

HammorHorror
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2013, 4:05 pm

I was given this as a Christmas present.
Illuminating and insightful book from one of my favorite historians.

TornadoEvil
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2013, 11:53 pm

I just finished Cold Days. The hero Harry Dresden fights off the influence of the winter knight turning him into a sex crazed maniac while fighting the evil outsider menace and not knowing who to trust. Part of Jim Butcher's The Dresden Files.

Also finished Pretending to be Normal by Liane Holiday Willey.

Working on Dandelion Wine. And I have a few other things to read.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2013, 6:38 am

Well, I was thinking of buying this...

...but then I realised that I have a huge stack of DVDs to be getting on with, and any books can bloody well wait until I've made at least a significant dent in that pile of discs.

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2013, 7:21 am

The Enchiridion by Epictetus again...

leojewels91
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

02 Feb 2013, 5:12 pm

Otherwise Enganged
Undead and Unappreciated and
Perks of being a Wallflower

lostgirl1986
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2013, 5:14 pm

"The Children's War"-Monique Charlesworth

bornrebel9
Butterfly
Butterfly

06 Feb 2013, 5:46 pm

I just finished reading "Shadowhunters and Downworlders", a series of essays about one of my favorite series, "The Mortal Instruments" and am currently reading "Still LoLo" by Lauren Scruggs and the Scruggs family about a young woman who loses her left eye and hand after she walks into the propeller of a plane. It is quite moving and sad at points but she has a great story to tell.

CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2013, 7:07 pm

Dutch book called Het land van herkomst ('Country of origin'), by Edgar du Perron. It's basically his memoires written down when he was 36 (in 1935), and much of his childhood takes place in Indonesia, which ties into my special interest. I'm enjoying it very much, I'd never read anything else by Du Perron, but he writes really well.

Question14
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Feb 2013, 3:11 am

Rading the Hamish Macbeth murder stories.

Hamish is epic :D

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

07 Feb 2013, 3:28 am

Stray by Andrea K. Höst. It's basically a diary entry style book tied in with science fiction and fantasy. It is more interesting than it looks. :)