Page 149 of 251 [ 3757 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 146, 147, 148, 149, 150, 151, 152 ... 251  Next

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2013, 6:51 am

Theodore Rex-- volume two of Edmund Morris' three volume biography of Teddy Roosevelt.

Quote:
Theodore Rex is the story—never fully told before—of Theodore Roosevelt’s two world-changing terms as President of the United States. A hundred years before the catastrophe of September 11, 2001, “TR” succeeded to power in the aftermath of an act of terrorism. Youngest of all our chief executives, he rallied a stricken nation with his superhuman energy, charm, and political skills. He proceeded to combat the problems of race and labor relations and trust control while making the Panama Canal possible and winning the Nobel Peace Prize. But his most historic achievement remains his creation of a national conservation policy, and his monument millions of acres of protected parks and forest. Theodore Rex ends with TR leaving office, still only fifty years old, his future reputation secure as one of our greatest presidents.

BULLY!

RedHouse
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Jul 2013, 10:34 am

Appalachian Dulcimer Traditions, written by Ralph Lee Smith.
exciting to read but almost all of the pictures is close to worthless.
my newest special interest, the Appalachian/mountain dulcimer.
maybe i build me an instrument some day.

sonofghandi
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2013, 5:24 pm

currently reading USP <797>
It is not an exciting read.
Finished a book a few weeks ago called Predictably Irrational by Dan Ariely. It was awesome!

Woodfish
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Jul 2013, 5:33 pm

I'm soon halfway through The Neverending story by Michael Ende. When I'm in the right mood I really love this story. This is probably the fourth time I read it although this time I listen to it.

If we concentrate on accepting ourselves, change will happen. It will take care of itself. Self-acceptance is so hard to get you can't do it a day at a time. I've found that I need to run my life five minutes at a time. --Jess Lair

Shatbat
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2013, 1:42 pm

I'm finished with Philip Zimbardo's Lucifer Effect.

Now I shall read No More Mr Nice Guy, from Robert Glover, read it last time three years ago and I wonder how much has changed since then :lol:

Skilpadde
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

16 Jul 2013, 10:22 pm

"Diary of a Grumpy Old Git: Getting Through Life One Rant at a Time" by Tim Collins. It's almost as good as his series about the wimpy vampire.

The tiger and the lion may be more powerful....

...but the Wolf does not perform in the circus.

sonofghandi
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2013, 9:49 am

Just started Terry Pratchett's Small Gods again. It's my favorite Discworld novel by far.

Skilpadde
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

18 Jul 2013, 12:55 am

sonofghandi wrote:
Just started Terry Pratchett's Small Gods again. It's my favorite Discworld novel by far.

It's one of my Pratchett faves as well :D

The tiger and the lion may be more powerful....

...but the Wolf does not perform in the circus.

Dhp
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2013, 5:17 pm

I suck at reading or anything to do with words; however, recently I have bee trying to raise my reading comprehension level from 10th grade to 11th grade. I will understand if you laugh at this, readers, as most of you are smarter than I am, but I am slowly trying to read Gulliver's Travels, by Jonathan Swift. So far, it is hilarious and brilliant! I would recommend it; yet this is not the kid's book that one might think it is. It is true that many movies were made from this book, but they have omitted many risque parts...lol Jonathan Swift can be a little disgusting at times; yet, he is nothing compared to Dante. If you haven't read The Inferno and you like horror - please, read it! You're missing out!!

former_hermit
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Jul 2013, 7:18 pm

I've been reading Lords and Ladies by Terry Pratchett aloud to my fiance. I like reading aloud to him. I want a good book I haven't read before to read, but my car broke down and the library is a bit far to walk. Bleh, excuses.

former_hermit
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Jul 2013, 7:19 pm

Skilpadde wrote:
sonofghandi wrote:

It's one of my Pratchett faves as well :D

Mine too!

Shatbat
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2013, 9:02 pm

The collapse of complex societies - Joseph Tainter

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

24 Jul 2013, 12:58 am

Still working through RedRobin's book that he published.

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2013, 1:15 am

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2013, 5:06 pm

The Inner Citadel by Pierre Hadot

Quote:

The Meditations of Marcus Aurelius are treasured today--as they have been over the centuries--as an inexhaustible source of wisdom. And as one of the three most important expressions of Stoicism, this is an essential text for everyone interested in ancient religion and philosophy. Yet the clarity and ease of the work's style are deceptive. Pierre Hadot, eminent historian of ancient thought, uncovers new levels of meaning and expands our understanding of its underlying philosophy.

Written by the Roman emperor for his own private guidance and self-admonition, the Meditations set forth principles for living a good and just life. Hadot probes Marcus Aurelius's guidelines and convictions and discerns the hitherto unperceived conceptual system that grounds them. Abundantly quoting the Meditations to illustrate his analysis, the author allows Marcus Aurelius to speak directly to the reader. And Hadot unfolds for us the philosophical context of the Meditations, commenting on the philosophers Marcus Aurelius read and giving special attention to the teachings of Epictetus, whose disciple he was.

The soul, the guiding principle within us, is in Marcus Aurelius's Stoic philosophy an inviolable stronghold of freedom, the "inner citadel." This spirited and engaging study of his thought offers a fresh picture of the fascinating philosopher-emperor, a fuller understanding of the tradition and doctrines of Stoicism, and rich insight on the culture of the Roman empire in the second century. Pierre Hadot has been working on Marcus Aurelius for more than twenty years; in this book he distills his analysis and conclusions with extraordinary lucidity for the general reader.