Page 150 of 297 [ 4752 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 147, 148, 149, 150, 151, 152, 153 ... 297  Next

TheTrueMayhem
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Nov 2013, 7:14 pm

American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis.

zaneaspie
Raven
Raven

11 Nov 2013, 3:22 pm

More Than This Patrick Ness

staremaster
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2013, 11:23 pm

Kurdistan, by Susan Meiselas. I expected a small "non-fiction" hardcover when I ordered it, but as it turns out is is an enormous encyclopedia-style photographic history. Mindblowing, really...

Georgia
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Nov 2013, 6:54 pm

Hyperbole and a half: unfortunate events, flawed coping mechanisms, mayhem, and other things that happened

by Allie Brosh

RaspberryFrosty
Toucan
Toucan

21 Nov 2013, 3:28 am

Dragonflight by Anne McCaffrey

Alexius848
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

28 Nov 2013, 2:15 pm

Watership Down by Richard Adams.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2013, 3:04 pm

Staten Island Noir

An anthology of short, original noir stories set in Staten Island.

BrandonSP
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2013, 4:24 pm

I have just tried reading The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins, but honestly the bland and choppy prose turned me off. I also don't think the setting's backstory was fleshed out very well. For example, just why is the Capitol oppressing the people in the Districts? Do they have some political or religious ideology motivating them, or are they oppressing just to be oppressive?

duncvis
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2013, 8:43 pm

Alexius848 wrote:
Watership Down by Richard Adams.

doesn't get enough love. have you read The Plague Dogs?

Finally finished Stephen King's The Dark Tower series (annoying ending but at least he warns you first :P ) - re-reading the whole of my Tolkien collection, partway through The Silmarillion, to be followed by his son's edited version of The Children of Hurin. 8)

www.last.fm/user/nursethescreams <<my last.fm thingy

FOR THE HORDE!

staremaster
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2013, 4:59 am

BrandonSP wrote:
I have just tried reading The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins, but honestly the bland and choppy prose turned me off. I also don't think the setting's backstory was fleshed out very well. For example, just why is the Capitol oppressing the people in the Districts? Do they have some political or religious ideology motivating them, or are they oppressing just to be oppressive?

I also thought the "Hunger Games" was weak. I actually like the setting much more than the story.

woodster
Toucan
Toucan

30 Nov 2013, 5:14 am

BrandonSP wrote:
but honestly the bland and choppy prose turned me off.

im not experienced with literary criticism talk, even though ive been a lifelong book addict, but that sounds kinda like what put me off about reading world war z which i started and abandoned recently. it was just something about how bad it was that totally disgusted me.

I just reached this point about this guy who'd put fake vaccines on the market to make money out of the zombie crisis and the language used just completely and utterly enraged me for some reason.

Max brooks is an utterly sucky writer. I cant write myself so some might say i have no right to criticise, but i am very experienced with consumption of books and i absolutely hated the way he wrote.

Reading the Farthest shore by Ursula le Guin right now. I save it for when im sitting in the park with my dog during the day so im taking a lot longer to read it than i normally would with a book of that size.

salamandaqwerty
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2013, 9:31 pm

reading old Hellblazer comics at the moment. I forgot how much I used to love these

Sedentarian
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2013, 4:50 pm

Just finished The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime.[i]

staremaster
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2013, 7:48 am

War Trash by Ha Jin. It's a fictional memoir of a Chinese Red Army soldier who knows some english and survives the Korean War.

woodster
Toucan
Toucan

05 Dec 2013, 8:51 am

Reading tehanu, 4th in the earthsea series, written a couple of decades after the first trilogy I believe.

It seems to be about the girl priestess from the 2nd book and set on gont so far. It must be before the time of the end of the 3rd book because it never mentions a new king, but it mentions geds an archmage, that the girl is all grown up, and there seems to be trouble that could be the same things that ged sorts out at the end of the furthest shore. I guess it's set around about the same time, maybe just before.

I hope ged turns up.

RedHouse
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Dec 2013, 11:40 am

Per Petterson out stealing horses.

nothing to impressive, but i did enjoy it. the first fiction book i've read in ages.