Page 244 of 297 [ 4750 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 241, 242, 243, 244, 245, 246, 247 ... 297  Next

Stardust_Dragonfly
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2019, 4:38 pm

Bellwether by susanna kearsley :)

jordanalmokdad wrote:
i mostly enjoy the illustrations in the book, this being one of them that i gathered of the internet...

I like to see illustrations in books, so thanks for sharing! They look interesting, and the story sounds quite interesting too.

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2019, 9:15 pm

"this is not propaganda - adventures in tge war against reality" by peter pomerantsev.

A journalist's account of his research into influencers, fake news, russian troll farms that character-assassinate online-content providers in the Philippines... Pomerantsev is working with the London school of economics to devise strategies in this information war.
But this book is more personal, contemplative and well written and it rekindles a sort of astonishment about what's going on in the world right now.

I mean... We're all kind of numb to stories about russian trolls intervening in Philippine politics and so on by now, aren't we?

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2019, 11:04 pm

The Handmaid's Tale ~ Margaret Atwood

Neurocognitive exam in May 2019, diagnosed with ASD, Asperger's type in June 2019.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2019, 1:00 am

Bullet Proof Witch: Arkton At High Noon, by F.J Blair.

Third book in the western/fantasy series where a young woman gunfighter carries out a vendetta against the demons that had murdered her family.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2019, 8:15 pm

Lincoln's Bodyguard by TJ Turner.

An alternate-history novel told in a manner similar to Stephen King's alternate-history novel 11/22/63 that asks a question; the question being: What would post-Civil War America could have been like had Lincoln survived his assassination?

ScrewyWabbit
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2019, 8:48 am

Just finished The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood. Wanted to actually read it since wanted to read her new sequel The Testaments which I plan to do soon. Found it to be largely like season 1 of the show (no surprise) with enough differences to keep it interesting. Not sure if its a book I would have really liked had I not seen the TV show, however.

Next on my list, Kindred by Octavia Butler.

UncannyDanny
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2020, 5:43 pm

Trials of Apollo: Tyrant's Tomb by Rick Riordan

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2020, 5:54 pm

B19
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2020, 7:34 pm

"Why Trust Science" by Harvard history professor Naomi Oreskes (Publisher: Princeton University Press)

Very comprehensive and enlightening. Includes much thought about the whys of historical propaganda perpetrated as science by some outlier scientists who knew exactly what they were doing, so it is very balanced. Five stars from me. Terrific read.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2020, 8:42 pm

The Goldfinch

So far, it’s been harrowing but it’s incredibly well-written, so I’ll keep going.

Borromeo
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2020, 10:45 pm

A Considered Inconvenience, light literary fiction by (redacted)

I need to sit down & edit my own writing more thoroughly instead of BS-ing around on WP! But WP is kind of fun!

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2020, 9:49 am

The 100: Day 21 by Kass Morgan

Will be done with it soon and moving to the third part of the series. ^^

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2020, 9:57 pm

The Bonfire Of The Vanities ~ Tom Wolfe

* it's making me so nervous, it's like I'm Sherman McCoy!

Neurocognitive exam in May 2019, diagnosed with ASD, Asperger's type in June 2019.

Laeril
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Jan 2020, 10:29 pm

I'm reading The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien and Story Genius: How To Use Brain Science To Go Beyond Outlining And Write A Riveting Novel* by Lisa Cron.
*Before You Waste Three Years Writing 327 Pages That Go Nowhere

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2020, 7:29 pm

The Secret Diaries of Miss Anne Lister, Ed. Helena Whitbread (2012)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anne_Lister

Anne Lister (3 April 1791 – 22 September 1840) was an English landowner and diarist from Halifax, West Yorkshire. Throughout her life, she kept diaries that chronicled the details of her daily life, including her lesbian relationships, her financial concerns, her industrial activities, and her work improving Shibden Hall. Her diaries contain 7,720 pages and more than 5 million words and about a sixth of them – those concerning the intimate details of her romantic and sexual relationships – were written in code. The code, derived from a combination of algebra and Ancient Greek, was deciphered in the 1930s. Lister is often called "the first modern lesbian" for her clear self-knowledge and openly lesbian lifestyle. Called "Fred" by her lover and "Gentleman Jack" by Halifax residents, she suffered harassment for her sexuality, but recognised her similarity to the Ladies of Llangollen, whom she visited. (From wiki)

I've always been captivated by Anne's possible influence on Emily Brontë.

revlar
Raven
Raven

11 Jan 2020, 9:39 pm

I just finally gave up on reading Seveneves after 650 pages with 150 pages left. I can't take reading 10 pages of exposition for every paragraph of plot. I do respect the incredible amount of research and understanding it took, but this is more of a research paper or thesis than a book.