Page 61 of 297 [ 4752 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64 ... 297  Next

SoSayWeAll
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2010, 11:33 pm

Started reading Nabokov's Invitation to a Beheading. I didn't go into it with any reason to expect this, but almost immediately, just 20 pages in, I'm getting the feeling that the lead character "Cincinnatus" is an Aspie. I wasn't sure I was going to like this book, but seeing that, maybe even with Nabokov's very tangled language, I will be able to finish.

EDIT: I now have the VERY disturbing feeling that the crime Cincinnatus got arrested for was for BEING an Aspie. Creepy as heck! It seems pretty blatant to me, the way Cincinnatus behaves, and the way his manner draws attention from the NTs around. (Now, I find this to be an exaggeration of real society, BUT--I CAN understand why Nabokov might have such a fear.)

Last edited by SoSayWeAll on 23 Jul 2010, 11:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Bugzee
Toucan
Toucan

23 Jul 2010, 11:36 pm

Maus by Art Spiegelman

Bugzee
Toucan
Toucan

23 Jul 2010, 11:37 pm

Maus by Art Spiegelman

Bugzee
Toucan
Toucan

23 Jul 2010, 11:39 pm

Maus by Art Spiegelman

b9
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2010, 12:18 am

you must be a speed reader to read it 3 times in 3 minutes

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2010, 12:42 am

SoSayWeAll wrote:
Started reading Nabokov's Invitation to a Beheading. I didn't go into it with any reason to expect this, but almost immediately, just 20 pages in, I'm getting the feeling that the lead character "Cincinnatus" is an Aspie. I wasn't sure I was going to like this book, but seeing that, maybe even with Nabokov's very tangled language, I will be able to finish.

EDIT: I now have the VERY disturbing feeling that the crime Cincinnatus got arrested for was for BEING an Aspie. Creepy as heck! It seems pretty blatant to me, the way Cincinnatus behaves, and the way his manner draws attention from the NTs around. (Now, I find this to be an exaggeration of real society, BUT--I CAN understand why Nabokov might have such a fear.)

Weird, I'm about to read this but I decided to read The Castle by Kafka first as the book is so often described as Kafkaesque.

Nabokov is awesome. Or, at least, his books are.

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2010, 9:20 am

Just read "The Gates of Anubis", which was alright. Reading "Tickling the English." Next up "Debatable Space".

Got six weeks holidays to clear my backlog of books and films, which currently comprises a dozen or so books, half of Buffy, plus a dozen or so werewolf films (my aim is, ultimately, to have watched every werewolf film ever made, but that's a long way off and some I just can't find online) and a dozen or so other DVDs. And a dozen or so computer games. I'm feeling bad for buying so much crap and not getting round to reading / watching / playing it. It's a hard life. :lol:

The year is still young.

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2010, 6:01 pm

Though it's an extremely easy read (and I like to challenge myself with books), I am reading Chinese Cinderella by Adeline Yen Mah.

SoSayWeAll
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2010, 7:59 pm

Just finished Invitation to a Beheading (wow, that was quick!). I definitely think I was right--and thankfully Cincinnatus ends up in a better situation at the end!

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2010, 11:20 pm

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

Cheeseroyale34
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Jul 2010, 1:07 am

Finished Reading President Nixon's Psychiatric Profile

and Lies and the Lying Liars Who Tell Them: A Fair and Balanced Look at the Right

Anybody know of any presidential biographies/autobiographies, or historical that are really good? I am trying to read 50 books this year, and am on 32 right now.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2010, 1:11 am

Cheeseroyale34 wrote:
Finished Reading President Nixon's Psychiatric Profile

and Lies and the Lying Liars Who Tell Them: A Fair and Balanced Look at the Right

Anybody know of any presidential biographies/autobiographies, or historical that are really good? I am trying to read 50 books this year, and am on 32 right now.

Have you read Imperial Hubris yet? Pretty much any of Michael Scheuer's books are interesting reads.

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

fobfan123
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Jul 2010, 1:34 am

The Further Adventures of Eddie Dickens: Dubious Deeds. So far its funny and sightly off

Seanmw
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2010, 1:49 am

dgd1788 wrote:
The Critique on Pure Reason and Next by, Michael Crichton
i like michael crichton :)
the book Timeline was pretty good.
The movie version was terrible though :oops:

Seanmw
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2010, 1:50 am

The Lost Years of Merlin

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2010, 3:20 pm

Ambivalence wrote:
Next up "Debatable Space".

This book was appallingly bad. I made it about a third of the way in. It's conceivable the remaining two thirds was an extended reveal detailing how the nonsensical "science", not-so-subliminal sadism and blatant Sue-ness of the first part was intentionally crap, but by that point I no longer cared to find out.

Happily, I'm now reading "Steel Beach" by John Varley, and it's excellent.

The year is still young.