Page 228 of 297 [ 4750 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 225, 226, 227, 228, 229, 230, 231 ... 297  Next

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2019, 3:45 pm

HighLlama wrote:
The Norton Critical Edition collecting Chekhov's short stories.

:heart: Norton

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2019, 5:23 pm

Claradoon wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
Dooley, L. (1920). Psychoanalysis of Charlotte Brontë, as a Type of the Woman of Genius. The American Journal of Psychology, 31(3), 221-272. JSTOR: http://www.jstor.org/stable/1413538.

Is Dr. Dooley Freudian - in 1920? How's the book?

JSTOR: http://www.jstor.org/stable/1413538

Hi Claradoon,
It wasn't a book, but rather an article in The American Journal of Psychology which you can read or download using the above link, even if you don't have a JSTOR account. Dooley posits that Charlotte's entire body of genius is inspired by a psychosexual complex, based on her mother's death and her father-daughter relationship with Patrick. The paper was largely speculative and uncited, but I read it because of the ludicrous nature of Freudian psychology. It's worth a read if you want to understand Freud better, and there are some clever insights about Villette, but overall it was shockingly presumptuous.

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2019, 5:57 pm

I've just begun attempting Aeschylus' Prometheus Bound in the Greek.

Nonsense
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

25 Feb 2019, 12:08 pm

The Sublime Object of Ideology by Slavoj Žižek

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2019, 12:15 pm

I've not yet read any Zizek.

Henry Fielding - Tom Jones

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2019, 12:22 pm

One of the greatest books in all of English literature, in my opinion.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2019, 12:45 pm

Lesley Kara: The runour

2/3 in, and it's good.

listening to Michael Grant's Gone.

would've liked a whole lot better if it didn't mention Astrid's hair color all the time (but no one else's was overly mentioned and lots not even mentioned at all) how just everyone thought she was soooo pretty :roll:

a pity, the story's good, but that's annoying

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2019, 2:42 pm

The Lovecraft Compendium, by H.P. Lovecraft.

Five of Lovecraft's short stories that are the center pieces for his Cthulhu Mythos.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2019, 9:31 pm

Parallel Play - Growing Up With Undiagnosed Asperger's by Tim Page, a Pulitzer prize winner.

Farunel
Raven
Raven

25 Feb 2019, 11:41 pm

Long overdue... Finally started the Lord of the Rings Trilogy.

I was so obsessed with the movies when I was around 4 or 5 years old, I wore out a couple dvd sets. It's hard to believe I've never read the books considering my obsession with books in general AND the movies.

It's different, but I am really enjoying them. More than I even thought I would. I liked the Tom Bombadil arc and how much more detail there is in the beginning, a lot of things make so much more sense now that I felt seemed janky in the movies.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2019, 1:12 am

Farunel wrote:

I was so obsessed with the movies when I was around 4 or 5 years old, I wore out a couple dvd sets. It's hard to believe I've never read the books considering my obsession with books in general AND the movies.

It's different, but I am really enjoying them. More than I even thought I would. I liked the Tom Bombadil arc and how much more detail there is in the beginning, a lot of things make so much more sense now that I felt seemed janky in the movies.

Back in my college days, I took a class on fantasy literature in which the trilogy was our text. One of my most memorable classes.

Farunel
Raven
Raven

26 Feb 2019, 2:11 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
Farunel wrote:

Back in my college days, I took a class on fantasy literature in which the trilogy was our text. One of my most memorable classes.

Yeah, that sounds like fun. I took quite a few literature classes as electives in college as well! Including Sci-fi, Fiction, Middle English, Shakespeare. I think there was more but I can't recall... It all kind of melds together. I had the same 2 teachers for all of them. Super fun, though. I think my favorite read was the Canticle for Leibowitz, overall.

I wish I was still in college right now... I will get back to it, at some point.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2019, 2:25 am

Farunel wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Farunel wrote:

Yeah, that sounds like fun. I took quite a few literature classes as electives in college as well! Including Sci-fi, Fiction, Middle English, Shakespeare. I think there was more but I can't recall... It all kind of melds together. I had the same 2 teachers for all of them. Super fun, though. I think my favorite read was the Canticle for Leibowitz, overall.

I wish I was still in college right now... I will get back to it, at some point.

Do go back. Learning just for the sake of learning was one of the very best experiences of my life.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2019, 2:54 am

Farunel wrote:

I'm currently rereading LotR. Just got to A Journey In the Dark. I'm actually reading it on my phone because the only copies I have are old paperbacks published in the 70's and I want to keep them in good condition.

You can find it here if you like:
http://ae-lib.org.ua/texts-c/tolkien__t ... n.htm#2-03

Also I play a free online game called Lord of the Rings Online which lets you travel throughout Middle Earth. I'm currently playing a character who is in Eregion aka Hollin and about to enter Moria.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2019, 3:04 am

I am also reading a book called Nervous Laughter by Earl Emerson. It's the third in a series of novels about a Seattle private investigator named Thomas Black. They are written in the style of Raymond Chandler I believe. I like the author's detailed knowledge of Seattle and the surrounding areas.

Farunel
Raven
Raven

26 Feb 2019, 3:30 am

Yeah, I definitely intend on going back. I enjoy taking the classes. I don't even really care about a degree. I just like lectures.