Page 229 of 297 [ 4750 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 226, 227, 228, 229, 230, 231, 232 ... 297  Next

Farunel
Raven
Raven

26 Feb 2019, 3:30 am

Yeah, I definitely intend on going back. I enjoy taking the classes. I don't even really care about a degree. I just like lectures.

Farunel
Raven
Raven

26 Feb 2019, 3:32 am

EzraS wrote:
Farunel wrote:
Long overdue... Finally started the Lord of the Rings Trilogy.

I was so obsessed with the movies when I was around 4 or 5 years old, I wore out a couple dvd sets. It's hard to believe I've never read the books considering my obsession with books in general AND the movies.

It's different, but I am really enjoying them. More than I even thought I would. I liked the Tom Bombadil arc and how much more detail there is in the beginning, a lot of things make so much more sense now that I felt seemed janky in the movies.

I'm currently rereading LotR. Just got to A Journey In the Dark. I'm actually reading it on my phone because the only copies I have are old paperbacks published in the 70's and I want to keep them in good condition.

You can find it here if you like:
http://ae-lib.org.ua/texts-c/tolkien__t ... n.htm#2-03

Also I play a free online game called Lord of the Rings Online which lets you travel throughout Middle Earth. I'm currently playing a character who is in Eregion aka Hollin and about to enter Moria.

I may look into them! As far as the game goes, I don't know. I am a bit skeptical, I've had bad experiences with movie/book game adaptions. I've heard good and bad about those games, and I'm *very* picky. Maybe once I am done with the list I already have going for games I need to work on. Currently going through Oblivion for the first time since I was a lot younger.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2019, 6:31 pm

I've returned to The Woodlanders (Thomas Hardy, 1887) which I had set aside briefly.

I'm also reading The Brontës: A Life in Letters, Third Edition. (Ed. Juliet Barker, 2016).

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2019, 7:31 pm

253 by Geoff Ryman.
I was dubious when I started this due to the non-narrative, rule-bound writing, and sheer number of characters. There are 253 words about each of the 252 passengers on a London tube train, plus the driver. Each person is described according to a strict formula; their appearance, a short biography, and their thoughts at a certain point in the journey. You know from the outset that the train is going to crash. It was an internet book originally, so I'm not sure how much reading it in print might change the experience, but it works much better than I anticipated, and sucked me in quite easily.

There are some really clever and quite poignant plays on how the passengers (mis)read each other's appearance and behaviour once it becomes clearer which passengers are watching which other ones (now I wonder why that might appeal to me! :lol: ). I found the original internet version too (here), so I might have a look at that once I've finished the book. Not the most world-changing book in the world, for sure; but it's a nice little jaunt into something a bit unusual, and I think short enough that the formulaic structure won't get too get tiresome.

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2019, 8:00 pm

Sir Thomas More - Utopia

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2019, 8:12 pm

I feel like the dialogue between Peter, More, and the Explorer is a model of how people should interact.

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

27 Feb 2019, 12:21 pm

Two Rivers, the Peacemaker
Zoe Saadia

Soliloquist
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Feb 2019, 12:45 pm

Quote:
From the author of Jurassic Park, Timeline, and Sphere comes a captivating thriller about a deadly extraterrestrial microorganism, which threatens to annihilate human life.

Five prominent biophysicists have warned the United States government that sterilization procedures for returning space probes may be inadequate to guarantee uncontaminated re-entry to the atmosphere. Two years later, a probe satellite falls to the earth and lands in a desolate region of northeastern Arizona. Nearby, in the town of Piedmont, bodies lie heaped and flung across the ground, faces locked in frozen surprise. What could cause such shock and fear? The terror has begun, and there is no telling where it will end.

TUF
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2019, 12:52 pm

How to Stop Time Matt Haig

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2019, 5:37 pm

Really liked The Rumour.

Currently:
Alex Lake: Killing Kate

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

The Weasel
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

02 Mar 2019, 11:30 am

Son of Spartacus
(Gladiator #3)
by Simon Scarrow

Quote:
Free from slavery, Marcus is determined to find and save his kidnapped mother.

Meanwhile, his master Julius Caesar wants Marcus to help destroy the bands of rebel slaves and their leader Brixus, who plans to unite a slave army and resurrect the cause of Spartacus.

But Marcus and Brixus are old allies who share a life-threatening secret. Marcus is torn between his friend and master. Can he convince Brixus now is not the time for a deadly revolt – and ask Caesar to negotiate a slave surrender before more carnage and bloodshed?

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2019, 4:13 pm

Catch 22 by Joseph Heller.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2019, 9:18 am

Alex Lake: Last lie

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2019, 11:52 am

Erasmus Desiderius - The Praise of Folly

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

05 Mar 2019, 4:18 pm

Rasputin's Legacy
by Lee Jackson

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2019, 3:12 pm

Just read Kara Thomas: Little monsters

zzzzzz

I thought it was a thriller, but despite having a murder in it, it really was just a drama snooze

second disappointing book in a row
The child next door by Shalini Boland was boring