Looking at going to Curtis for music.... What do you think?

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

allegrorules
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

14 Jul 2013, 12:38 pm

I am a cellist and I've been taking lessons since I was 8, but have played/been around the cello since 3. I practice for 3-5 hours a day. I was 3rd chair in the Empire State Youth Orchestra's String Ensemble in fourth grade. Then I played with the Kansas City Youth Symphony's Academy Orchestra in 6th Grade (they made an exception for me as the orchestra was for grades 8-12). I am currently in 11th grade, and am planning on auditioning for the Philadelphia Youth Orchestra this year. I am currently playing/working on Shostakovitch, Elgar, and Haydn (C) concertos and Brahms Sonata no 2.

I hope to participate more actively in competitions as I need more experience with performing. I perform fairly frequently at church (not hard, but at least gives me practice as there are currently no competitions in the area for me to enter). I understand the high competition at Curtis, but I toured the school and it seems perfect for me (I don't like large schools so universities are DEFINITELY out of the question). I also don't plan on entering right after 12th grade as I want to make sure I'm really ready before I apply/audition. I understand that I may not get in on my first try, so I am planning on trying a second time if I am not accepted.

Anyway, do you think I stand a chance of getting into Curtis? Can you give me some suggestions as to the best way to prepare for the audition?

Thank you!

Diagnosed Aspie. Horses, music, and Harry Potter obsessions.