Does anyone know any GOOD Christian rock acts

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

MagicToenail
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Aug 2013, 10:09 pm

My nephews are being raised in a Christian "Bubble" so they have Christian rock on all the time.
I know I'm going get flamed for this-but I hate it . I haven't heard a single song with any good hooks or interesting lyrics. They just repeat themselves "God is Mighty" Blah blah blah. I'm not Christian myself, but I like some artists that are Christian-Arcade Fire and Sufjan Stevens,and I find gospel interesting but I haven't found anything redeeming or interesting about Christian rock.
I know this is flame bait, but why is Christian Rock so blah and sub mediocre seemingly across the board?

PathoftheImmortals
Toucan
Toucan

11 Aug 2013, 10:19 pm

If you want metal there's always early Mortification (Florida death metal) and Paramecium (Australia death/doom).. but I agree good Christian artists seem to be few and between.

MagicToenail
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Aug 2013, 10:22 pm

^ Thanks for the suggestions!

PresidentPorpoise
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

11 Aug 2013, 10:43 pm

I'm not so sure that I'd call Arcade Fire a Christian rock band. Just because they make a lot of references to Christianity doesn't mean that they're doing so in a worshipful manner. Honestly, from what little I've analyzed of their stuff, I would say that their references to religion are more likely to be critical analysis of religion's effect on American life.

rachel_519
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Aug 2013, 11:49 pm

Do your nephews seem to like the music they are listening to? How old are they? What styles of music do they like?

I am a fan of Needtobreathe, which might be too pop-y for your tastes, but they do have some interesting-sounding music.

Dhp
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2013, 12:21 am

Okay I have one. He is actually a progressive rocker, but from 2002 on, he converted to christianity. His name is Neal Morse; he was originally the lead singer and member of Spock's Beard, a progressive rock group (They are not christian). I think from 2003 onward, you might be safe with his solo music. He does get a little corny at times, but some of his stuff is brilliant. Note: I am not a Christian, but I respect good music where I find it. I would recommend Testimony from 2003; give it a listen, and see if that is good enough for the kids. I have only heard one track from that album and there were no curse words. Good baritone singer, and multi-instrumentalist as well (guitar and keyboards).

PathoftheImmortals
Toucan
Toucan

12 Aug 2013, 2:41 am

I actually recently attended a christian rock show. Of course by 'rock', I mean the lightest, most fluffiest emo-ish sort. The band's name was Jars of Clay and while I can accept that they may be talented musicians, lets just say the music and their preachy message isn't for me...

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2013, 1:24 pm

U2, especially 'Boy', 'War', and the series of releases from 'Achtung Baby' to 'Pop'. Also, this may be surprising to most people here, but Slayer (Singer/Lyricist Tom Araya is a devout Catholic) is a good choice.

Also to answer your last question, because evangelical, bible thumping Chistians who seek to live in a 'Christian bubble' are for the most part lazy, shallow, somewhat sheeplike people who refuse to engage the world on it's own terms, and are so blinded by the light of their alleged 'salvation' that they attempt through political and ideological means to recreate the world in their own image, and insist that all who disagree with the narrow, paranoic worldview are 'damned to hell', because they refuse to join the flock of the master. -- because of the fact that the musicians in 'Christian Rock' bands are members of the above mentioned population is it really any wonder why a lot 'Christian Rock' bands generally suck?

MagicToenail
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Aug 2013, 4:15 pm

Thanks for all the responses! Particularly Neal Morse-what I've heard of Spock's Beard, I like.
My nephews are 15, 9 and 6. The 15 year old loves the stuff, but I can't vouch for the younger kids.
I'll check into Needtobreathe and maybe download some carefully selected Slayer for them-and how can I forget U2!
I know Arcade Fire's lyrics are cynical about religion, but they have said in interviews that they are still Christian despite it's institutional follies.
I'm glad everyone is being so helpful, and realizing I wasn't attacking Christianity, but a narrow commercial music genre.

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2013, 4:59 pm

MagicToenail wrote:
Thanks for all the responses! Particularly Neal Morse-what I've heard of Spock's Beard, I like.
My nephews are 15, 9 and 6. The 15 year old loves the stuff, but I can't vouch for the younger kids.
I'll check into Needtobreathe and maybe download some carefully selected Slayer for them-and how can I forget U2!
I know Arcade Fire's lyrics are cynical about religion, but they have said in interviews that they are still Christian despite it's institutional follies.
I'm glad everyone is being so helpful, and realizing I wasn't attacking Christianity, but a narrow commercial music genre.

I'd also like to clarify that my main criticism here is that by raising the kid with biblical values is one thing, but trying to shield, or isolate the kid from the real world by raising the kid in a 'Christian Bubble' strikes me as particularly lazy, as the child will most likely not be given skills to face life in the greater world, and will also cheapen their faith because everything is readily available, so they don't have to strive in their belief, and learn to question the world, the beliefs that they are given, and how to form their own opinions as a result of the synthesis between the two.

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2013, 5:04 pm

The lead singer of The Music Machine, a 60's garage rock group, turned Christian and made some albums, but they aren't very good.

I would suggest Black Sabbath. They actually feature many Christian themes, and often feature a moral message.