Is anyone else's special interest singing?

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

L_Holmes
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2014, 3:19 am

I have always liked music, instruments and singing, but for about 6 years, I have gotten way into singing, and throughout that time I have gone through a few phases where I am into different genres or styles, and I try to sing along with artists in that style. First was A cappella, then pop, then alternative and rock and roll, now I'm into harder rock and metal. I have been trying to learn the different ways the artists add that gritty sound to their voice when they sing, as well as how they do the full on screams, but it's hard to find good information on these specific techniques since they are a bit unconventional. I know a lot about the actual technical way the voice works as an instrument, about the different muscles involved, different areas of resonance, how to modify them to get different sounds and imitate different styles and increase range and flexibility etc. I want to know everything there is to know about it, and then more.

I also just love music in general, I have tons of music and when I like an artist I tend to buy like all of their songs, and learn them word for word. Then I can listen to them even if I don't have my headphones because I can play them in my head or and sing quietly to them at work. This helps me not get too stressed out, I think it could possibly considered as stimming, especially the singing. I always notice I feel less overwhelmed if I start singing something, in basically any situation. People have mistaken me for talking to myself in the hallways or while working, and I have been yelled at by my parents countless times for singing too loud in the shower when it's midnight or later, haha. Does anyone else relate?

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2014, 3:43 am

L_Holmes wrote:
I have always liked music, instruments and singing, but for about 6 years, I have gotten way into singing, and throughout that time I have gone through a few phases where I am into different genres or styles, and I try to sing along with artists in that style. First was A cappella, then pop, then alternative and rock and roll, now I'm into harder rock and metal. I have been trying to learn the different ways the artists add that gritty sound to their voice when they sing, as well as how they do the full on screams, but it's hard to find good information on these specific techniques since they are a bit unconventional. I know a lot about the actual technical way the voice works as an instrument, about the different muscles involved, different areas of resonance, how to modify them to get different sounds and imitate different styles and increase range and flexibility etc. I want to know everything there is to know about it, and then more.

I also just love music in general, I have tons of music and when I like an artist I tend to buy like all of their songs, and learn them word for word. Then I can listen to them even if I don't have my headphones because I can play them in my head or and sing quietly to them at work. This helps me not get too stressed out, I think it could possibly considered as stimming, especially the singing. I always notice I feel less overwhelmed if I start singing something, in basically any situation. People have mistaken me for talking to myself in the hallways or while working, and I have been yelled at by my parents countless times for singing too loud in the shower when it's midnight or later, haha. Does anyone else relate?

I've been in to Grand Opera (and not necessarily the operas of Meyerbeer) since I was 10. I'll be 57 in September. While I started as an instrumentalist (piano, then clarinet), I no longer play, no thanks to carpal tunnel syndrome in my right hand.

Look for a book by Lamperti titled Vocal Wisdom. While it deals with the bel canto style of singing, a lot of the techniques can be applied to almost every style of song.

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2014, 8:11 am

It's not my special interest and not even an interest (in fact I don't really like music, it is disturbing) but I like singing and I have an ability to repeat any song I heard more than a few times, no matter how long ago it was. I just need to hear a few first words so I remind how it goes and then a playback turns on in my head - music and words, exactly the way I heard it last time I listened to this, as if I had a mp3 running in my head. All I need to do is follow what I hear.

L_Holmes
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2014, 8:59 am

Meistersinger wrote:
Look for a book by Lamperti titled Vocal Wisdom. While it deals with the bel canto style of singing, a lot of the techniques can be applied to almost every style of song.

Oh cool, yes I am somewhat familiar with this technique, some of the most helpful tips and hints have come from the bel canto style. I have been interested in learning more about it so I will definitely look for that book, thank you.

- Sherlock Holmes

peaceloveerin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Jul 2014, 5:52 pm

Yep, singing is my special interest and has been for the past 13 years! I sing almost anything non-classical but my favorite genre to sing is country-rock. :D

I really wish I could move to Nashville and pursue a career as a country music artist but that dream is unfortunately, very unrealistic. :(

Right now, I sing in a community choir but its made up mostly of people way older than me and is in a religious setting so I feel out of place.

If only I could make some aspect of music or singing my career. :?

Stargazer43
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2014, 9:20 pm

I wish that I could sing...if I could it would probably be my special interest. I have a terrible voice though.

brackets
Raven
Raven

24 Jul 2014, 2:03 am

It's not a special interest for me, but singing is something of a stim for me, I guess? I feel antsy in the same way I do when I can't tap my fingers and stuff if I've gone a while without singing, and I find it helps my depression as well.

Too bad I can't sing when there are other people in the house (not because I've been banned from it, I'm just shy) and there are practically always people in the house >:c

peaceloveerin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Jul 2014, 10:14 pm

I really want to have some sort of career that involves singing. The problem is I lack the typical personality of a singer...too introverted and unanimated, plus I don't like to wear revealing clothes or heels. I definitely don't look like singer-material either as I don't care at all about wearing makeup or doing my hair nice.

Another problem is that I don't write my own songs and need to find a way to start doing that. I could always use YouTube or some other social media site to get myself out there, but I'm always afraid of the haters. It seems as if no matter how good you are, there will be at least one or two people who will trash you.

L_Holmes
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2014, 12:57 am

peaceloveerin wrote:
I really want to have some sort of career that involves singing. The problem is I lack the typical personality of a singer...too introverted and unanimated, plus I don't like to wear revealing clothes or heels. I definitely don't look like singer-material either as I don't care at all about wearing makeup or doing my hair nice.

Another problem is that I don't write my own songs and need to find a way to start doing that. I could always use YouTube or some other social media site to get myself out there, but I'm always afraid of the haters. It seems as if no matter how good you are, there will be at least one or two people who will trash you.

Yes, that is the same with me. I don't fit in with the other people I've met who are singers, and I don't write my own songs. I would probably do covers at least on YouTube, except that I need to learn an instrument like guitar or piano well enough to accompany my singing, but I can't seem to make myself interested in practicing them. I get too frustrated when I am not able to play something I want to play.

- Sherlock Holmes

Basso53
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2014, 1:34 pm

It's an interest, something I enjoy, but I wouldn't say that it's a special interest. It doesn't consume all of my waking hours. I think that most people who can sing, enjoy singing. I'm certainly not interested in going to some open mike night at a club and singing. I satisfy my performance needs by singing in choral groups. Before I realized that I can sing, I played the trumpet. Again, in ensembles, not as a soloist. It was a fun thing to do. But I didn't focus any extra energy into it.

You seem to have both Aspie and neurotypical traits

SameStars
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2014, 2:15 pm

While it's one of the things I most enjoy doing, it's not a special interest.

Mindsigh
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2014, 12:55 pm

Opera was a special interest for me when I was little, especially Carmen and Les Contes d'Hoffmann. I listened to them so much that I learned French. I had the entire part of Carmen down when I was 10 and several of the other parts. I had a lot of Niklaus from Hoffmann down, too. I just copied off records. I knew the plots and characters of most of Verdi's operas, but didn't listen to them often enough to pick up much Italian. I didn't care much for German opera and trying to learn German from reading the librettos was frustrating. Placido Domingo and Dame Joan Sutherland were my favorite singers. Unfortunately, we were very hand-to-mouth, so I had no musical training to go along with the interest and enthusiasm. I sing like a choking goat.