Does anyone listen to their own music that they make?

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

DeathSkullEX
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Aug 2014, 9:52 pm

Are there any composers or musicians here that listen to their own music? I am asking this because it is something that intrigues me since I am quite interested in to know if they do.

diniesaur
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2014, 10:15 pm

My own music in my head? Yes. I haven't been able to actually record any of that music, though. Sometimes I'll forget that some music only exists in my head and then get really disappointed when I can't find it on YouTube :lol:

TheBicyclingGuitarist
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2014, 10:18 pm

Yes, but my best songs have no recordings at all yet, and none of my older songs have any decent recordings yet either. I have composed hundreds of original songs, dozens of them with lyrics, the past thirty years. Most of them were composed while I was playing guitar riding on a bicycle the same time. There are some videos on the "BicyclingGuitarist" channel of YouTube. Some show me performing ON the bicycle. Here is one of my instrumentals:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3t1MvMoJ7Y[/youtube]

DeathSkullEX
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Aug 2014, 11:26 pm

@diniesaur I am glad to know that you listen to it and earworms do make you feel like listening to the songs that are in your head :)

@TheBicyclingGuitarist Such skill... Very amazing. I like the solo you did there by the way, it sounds very relaxing and i do love guitar music. I am glad to know that you like your songs as well.

Is it true that it's 'cannibalistic' or 'wrong' to listen to your own music? Because most articles i read say that 'most' music composers don't listen to their own songs. I was quite skeptical of this article so i came here to ask some of you guys if you listen and enjoy your own songs which you made.

Bun
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2014, 1:02 am

I do! http://jamapp.com.au/artists/view/862639

[warning: autotune ;) ]

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2014, 1:16 am

I do, that is, when I remember to bring my mikey 2.0 with me and connect it to my iphone or iPad while in concert.

ExoMuseum
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

17 Aug 2014, 3:58 am

I don't listen to my own music,, not sure why it just feels weird, but I play it all the time and sometimes him or whistle it!

I think some people consider it arrogant or something to listen to your own music, but I think it's just nice that people like their own music, they should be proud of what they made (:

something_
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

17 Aug 2014, 4:41 am

repeatedly, gives me a real sense of achievement.

nerdygirl
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2014, 6:18 am

I listen to my own music. I don't have many recordings, but I will listen to them occasionally. Not often. I also think back upon music I've written that I don't have recordings of, listening to it in my head.

I do this because it does give me a sense of achievement. It is also a comforting reminder that I got something done after all the grueling hard work to get there. I also examine it and get reminded of some of the things I did in one piece that help me if I'm stuck on a new piece.

Fudo
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2014, 7:03 am

I listen to my own music quite a bit, have been focusing on new stuff for just over a year and have been listening and practising quite regularly. I get very lost in the music when we play live so helps to keep it in mind. Plus I could barely stand at the last gig so was handy. I don't listen to much music atm.

SocietyMadeMeDoIt
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Aug 2014, 7:04 am

TheBicyclingGuitarist wrote:
Yes, but my best songs have no recordings at all yet, and none of my older songs have any decent recordings yet either. I have composed hundreds of original songs, dozens of them with lyrics, the past thirty years. Most of them were composed while I was playing guitar riding on a bicycle the same time. There are some videos on the "BicyclingGuitarist" channel of YouTube. Some show me performing ON the bicycle. Here is one of my instrumentals:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3t1MvMoJ7Y[/youtube]

This is so awesome. You sir, just got a fan!