Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Ectryon
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 5 Jun 2014
Age: 29
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,241
Location: Hundred Acre Wood

14 Sep 2014, 1:10 am

Rock seems to predominate here and while I love many many rock artists im obsessed with electronica atm anyone else?


_________________
IMPORTANT PLEASE READ ! !
My history on this forum preserves my old and unregenerate self. In the years since I posted here I have undergone many changes. I accept responsibility for my posts but I no longer stand behind them.
__________________
And He is the radiance of His glory and the exact representation of His nature, and upholds all things by the word of His power When He had made purification of sins, He sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high Hebrews 1:3


YourMum
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

User avatar

Joined: 10 Aug 2011
Age: 27
Gender: Male
Posts: 150

14 Sep 2014, 6:01 pm

Ectryon wrote:
electronica


Does anyone actually use that word any more? It's sort of redundant isn't it.



Ectryon
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 5 Jun 2014
Age: 29
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,241
Location: Hundred Acre Wood

14 Sep 2014, 7:28 pm

YourMum wrote:
Ectryon wrote:
electronica


Does anyone actually use that word any more? It's sort of redundant isn't it.


There isnt any other word to refer to the electronic styles such as Garage Dubstep Drum n bass and their cousins. What would you recommend using instead?


_________________
IMPORTANT PLEASE READ ! !
My history on this forum preserves my old and unregenerate self. In the years since I posted here I have undergone many changes. I accept responsibility for my posts but I no longer stand behind them.
__________________
And He is the radiance of His glory and the exact representation of His nature, and upholds all things by the word of His power When He had made purification of sins, He sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high Hebrews 1:3


Humanaut
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Jul 2014
Age: 50
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,390
Location: Norway

14 Sep 2014, 7:46 pm

Electronic music is a broad genre that includes sub-genres like those mentioned above.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_music
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_el ... sic_genres



YourMum
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

User avatar

Joined: 10 Aug 2011
Age: 27
Gender: Male
Posts: 150

14 Sep 2014, 11:25 pm

Ectryon wrote:
What would you recommend using instead?


As Humanaut says, 'electronic music'. 'Electronica' comes from a time when electronic music was still a novelty, but today it is the norm.



Ectryon
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 5 Jun 2014
Age: 29
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,241
Location: Hundred Acre Wood

14 Sep 2014, 11:41 pm

lol electronic music is even more redundant given that so much music is heavily processed. I used both anyway because theyre interchangeable.Allmusic does the same and its pretty much authoritative


_________________
IMPORTANT PLEASE READ ! !
My history on this forum preserves my old and unregenerate self. In the years since I posted here I have undergone many changes. I accept responsibility for my posts but I no longer stand behind them.
__________________
And He is the radiance of His glory and the exact representation of His nature, and upholds all things by the word of His power When He had made purification of sins, He sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high Hebrews 1:3


mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Dec 2013
Age: 27
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,995
Location: Alberta, Canada

15 Sep 2014, 3:23 am

I like industrial music, as well as 90s trance, and 70s/80s synthpop. I guess you could say I listen to a fair amount of electronic music, though I'm not really a fan of the modern EDM scene. Once in a while I'll put on a bit of brostep/dubstep like Skrillex or whatever just for the hell of it, but it bores me fairly quickly, and the "poppiness" of it doesn't really appeal to me.



Outrider
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 15 Feb 2014
Age: 22
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,007
Location: Australia

15 Sep 2014, 8:27 am

Ectryon wrote:
lol electronic music is even more redundant given that so much music is heavily processed. I used both anyway because theyre interchangeable.Allmusic does the same and its pretty much authoritative


The problem is people make assumptions when they hear 'electronic music'. They instantly assume 'something mainstream and cr*ppy sounding'.

I like all kinds of electronic music and EDM. From House, Trap, Dubstep, Drumstep, and DnB, to much more calm and relaxing genres like Downtempo, Ambient, Trance, Chill-Out, New Age, etc.



Outrider
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 15 Feb 2014
Age: 22
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,007
Location: Australia

15 Sep 2014, 8:29 am

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
I like industrial music, as well as 90s trance, and 70s/80s synthpop. I guess you could say I listen to a fair amount of electronic music, though I'm not really a fan of the modern EDM scene. Once in a while I'll put on a bit of brostep/dubstep like Skrillex or whatever just for the hell of it, but it bores me fairly quickly, and the "poppiness" of it doesn't really appeal to me.


True. A fair bit of today's electronic music isn't as good as its precursors. I like Skrillex and some of his tracks, Deadmau5 is good as well. All this 'House' however? Avicci, David Guetta, Calvin Harris, Martin Garrix? All so generic sounding and boring.



Ectryon
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 5 Jun 2014
Age: 29
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,241
Location: Hundred Acre Wood

15 Sep 2014, 8:36 am

Outrider wrote:
Ectryon wrote:
lol electronic music is even more redundant given that so much music is heavily processed. I used both anyway because theyre interchangeable.Allmusic does the same and its pretty much authoritative


The problem is people make assumptions when they hear 'electronic music'. They instantly assume 'something mainstream and cr*ppy sounding'.

I like all kinds of electronic music and EDM. From House, Trap, Dubstep, Drumstep, and DnB, to much more calm and relaxing genres like Downtempo, Ambient, Trance, Chill-Out, New Age, etc.


Young people like you restore my faith in humanity :D


_________________
IMPORTANT PLEASE READ ! !
My history on this forum preserves my old and unregenerate self. In the years since I posted here I have undergone many changes. I accept responsibility for my posts but I no longer stand behind them.
__________________
And He is the radiance of His glory and the exact representation of His nature, and upholds all things by the word of His power When He had made purification of sins, He sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high Hebrews 1:3


einsteinmyhero
Toucan
Toucan

User avatar

Joined: 11 Mar 2014
Age: 19
Gender: Male
Posts: 275
Location: the utopia

15 Sep 2014, 9:59 am

zomboy.


_________________
“Men passionately desire to live after death, but they often pass away without noticing the fact that the memory of a really good person always lives. It is impressed upon the next generation, and is transmitted again to the children. Is that not an immortality worth striving for? ”
― Pyotr Kropotkin, Memoirs of a Revolutionist


Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 5 May 2009
Age: 54
Gender: Female
Posts: 6,450
Location: x

15 Sep 2014, 4:01 pm

Brian Eno
He's the electronic musician of and for my older generation. I loved him in the 70's when we both were young. I love him still as his music has aged and become more ambient electronic, as befits us middle-agers.

You youngsters can keep your endless bip-bip-bip of dubstep or whatever it is. I'm relaxing with Eno, the inevnetor of electronic music. 8)



Ectryon
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 5 Jun 2014
Age: 29
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,241
Location: Hundred Acre Wood

15 Sep 2014, 4:21 pm

Janissy wrote:
Brian Eno
He's the electronic musician of and for my older generation. I loved him in the 70's when we both were young. I love him still as his music has aged and become more ambient electronic, as befits us middle-agers.

You youngsters can keep your endless bip-bip-bip of dubstep or whatever it is. I'm relaxing with Eno, the inevnetor of electronic music. 8)



Bip bip WACKA ZZZZhhhewww wUB wwwwwUBBBB etc XD

I dont really like the electro house American dubstep to be honest. Ive never gotten into Brian Eno! I really need to listen to his work any recommendations?


_________________
IMPORTANT PLEASE READ ! !
My history on this forum preserves my old and unregenerate self. In the years since I posted here I have undergone many changes. I accept responsibility for my posts but I no longer stand behind them.
__________________
And He is the radiance of His glory and the exact representation of His nature, and upholds all things by the word of His power When He had made purification of sins, He sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high Hebrews 1:3


Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 5 May 2009
Age: 54
Gender: Female
Posts: 6,450
Location: x

15 Sep 2014, 4:36 pm

Ectryon wrote:
Janissy wrote:
Brian Eno
He's the electronic musician of and for my older generation. I loved him in the 70's when we both were young. I love him still as his music has aged and become more ambient electronic, as befits us middle-agers.

You youngsters can keep your endless bip-bip-bip of dubstep or whatever it is. I'm relaxing with Eno, the inevnetor of electronic music. 8)



Bip bip WACKA ZZZZhhhewww wUB wwwwwUBBBB etc XD

I dont really like the electro house American dubstep to be honest. Ive never gotten into Brian Eno! I really need to listen to his work any recommendations?


'Before And After Science' is an art rock/early electronica album he made in the 70's. It's the one that contains 'Backwater' which I quoted in PPR in response to GGPViper's post. The lyrics are very cerebral. A more recent work I recommend is 'Another Day On Earth' from 2005, more ambient electronica. His most deeply ambient album is 'Ambient 1: Music For Airports'. It is so relaxing you might not get to the end of it. I use it to fall asleep.



mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Dec 2013
Age: 27
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,995
Location: Alberta, Canada

15 Sep 2014, 8:47 pm

Outrider wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
I like industrial music, as well as 90s trance, and 70s/80s synthpop. I guess you could say I listen to a fair amount of electronic music, though I'm not really a fan of the modern EDM scene. Once in a while I'll put on a bit of brostep/dubstep like Skrillex or whatever just for the hell of it, but it bores me fairly quickly, and the "poppiness" of it doesn't really appeal to me.


True. A fair bit of today's electronic music isn't as good as its precursors. I like Skrillex and some of his tracks, Deadmau5 is good as well. All this 'House' however? Avicci, David Guetta, Calvin Harris, Martin Garrix? All so generic sounding and boring.


I'm definitely not big on house music. Maybe a bit of acid house because of those awesome TB-303 sounds, but for that I prefer acid techno instead. If you want to hear some good acid techno, look up "Unlucky Punk" by Magnum Force.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzXap0DlKUo[/youtube]



Last edited by mr_bigmouth_502 on 15 Sep 2014, 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Outrider
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 15 Feb 2014
Age: 22
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,007
Location: Australia

15 Sep 2014, 9:20 pm

Janissy wrote:
Brian Eno
He's the electronic musician of and for my older generation. I loved him in the 70's when we both were young. I love him still as his music has aged and become more ambient electronic, as befits us middle-agers.

You youngsters can keep your endless bip-bip-bip of dubstep or whatever it is. I'm relaxing with Eno, the inevnetor of electronic music. 8)


A lot of the teens and young adults who like electronic msuic today don't know about Brian Eno unfortunately.

Some other good pioneers of electronic music are Kraftwerk, Tangerine Dream, Ray Lynch, Aphex Twin, The Orb, Terry Riley, etc. Have you by chance heard of any of their music?