Bad music sounds good to me, "Good" music bad.

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

rvacountrysinger
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Sep 2014, 2:50 pm

Okay, so I've noticed that what most people consider "good music" -i.e. the Beatles, classic Rock, popular, etc. sounds pretty banal to me and not very interesting.

However what most people consider "bad" music- such as Old Country and Western- cowboy songs, Jan Terri, "outsider music" I am completely intrigued and amazed by that kind of music. Its not because its so bad its good, its because it actually sounds good to me and is more compelling- more authentic and I honestly enjoy it! .

American Idol and such is also the worst kind of music. Kelly Clarkson's voice makes me cringe- and most of yer typical female caterwallin' Whitney Houston, etc. But I love the kind of music that people think is bad because its better to me in an artistic and asthetic sense. I also like Jonny Corndawg. Love most Country music, except for what is Popular.

1401b
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2014, 3:15 pm

It's an opinion.

It's your opinion.

Therefore you cannot be wrong, what you think is good, is good.

progaspie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2014, 7:30 pm

Ok to listen to crass music if that is your thing and having an opinion is a good thing as opposed to sitting on the fence.

But better read up on the facts before stating falsehoods such as ,The Beatles were a studio creation, because then you open yourself up to be shot down in flames.

Aprilviolets
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2014, 9:55 pm

Everyone has their own taste in music, personally I don't like heavy metal or Rap but other people do they probably don't like the music that I like.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2014, 10:33 pm

I will stick with my 20s-80s preferences.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2014, 11:44 pm

I like listening to harsh metal and industrial music, along with other angry and aggressive forms of music, and I find most pop music to be incredibly annoying and grating on my ears. I guess we're kind of in the same boat.

rapidroy
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2014, 11:19 pm

Judging by the number of concerts I have attended where I was one of less then say 10 people in attendance I am too like you folks. Numbers don't lie, right?

I like indie music, grunge, metal, some folk genres. I hate most popular/top 40, new country, dance, hip hop, rap, any romance based songs.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2014, 11:24 pm

I don't think that is what most people consider to be 'bad' music....hell I'd rather listen to that than new country. I don't really see how music like The Beatles isn't interesting, they get rather psychedelic in quite a few songs which I at least find interesting though there are other bands from around their time I like better they certianly where not the best but not bad either. There is a lot of good classic rock though some I don't like, though classic rock isn't really a genre just a blanket term for older rock bands regardless of genre.

But to each their own.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2014, 11:25 pm

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
I like listening to harsh metal and industrial music, along with other angry and aggressive forms of music, and I find most pop music to be incredibly annoying and grating on my ears. I guess we're kind of in the same boat.

Same here, though I also like some more mellow music as well.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2014, 11:34 pm

rapidroy wrote:
Judging by the number of concerts I have attended where I was one of less then say 10 people in attendance I am too like you folks. Numbers don't lie, right? I like indie music, grunge, metal, some folk genres. I hate most popular/top 40, new country, dance, hip hop, rap, any romance based songs.

can you appreciate a good organist?

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2014, 12:49 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

Same here, though I also like some more mellow music as well.

Mellow music can be good sometimes. My favorite Metallica songs are mainly their ballads, actually.

rapidroy
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2014, 12:20 am

auntblabby wrote:
rapidroy wrote:
Judging by the number of concerts I have attended where I was one of less then say 10 people in attendance I am too like you folks. Numbers don't lie, right? I like indie music, grunge, metal, some folk genres. I hate most popular/top 40, new country, dance, hip hop, rap, any romance based songs.

Keyboards and organs aren't really my thing however good is good and my mind is open so perhaps yes.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2014, 12:35 am

rapidroy wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
rapidroy wrote:

Keyboards and organs aren't really my thing however good is good and my mind is open so perhaps yes.

:)

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2014, 4:23 am

In my experience while many people do not prefer country music they do not think of it as bad music.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

progaspie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2014, 7:11 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
In my experience while many people do not prefer country music they do not think of it as bad music.

Sorry for my earlier post then. There's nothing wrong with country music. I thought the poster was posting that he enjoys listening to bad country music. People get stuck on genres. In another thread someone said that they don't like popular music. Classical music in its day was known as popular music. Just on metal music, there's so much variation and styles in metal music that you could be listening to metal music and not know its metal music.