Simple things to draw when learning to draw?

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

andrethemoogle
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2014, 12:09 am

I've been wanting to get back into drawing but I haven't made any artwork in years. What are some simple things to draw at first to learn again?

Sorry if this is a silly question.

stabilator
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Nov 2014, 2:19 am

Maybe pick items around the home that are simple. For simple shapes, you can pick apple or orange, banana, a plate or bowl, a cup, shoe box.

More complicated things might be a vase of flowers, wrinkles on cloth, your hand.

Someone else might have better ideas than I do.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

07 Nov 2014, 7:28 pm

^ That's actually not a bad idea. I'd also suggest drawing them with contour lines - drawing what you see without picking the pencil up off of your paper. Don't worry if they look funky, they're supposed to be like that. :lol:

Also just draw whatever hits your imagination. It doesn't have to be perfect, actually... don't expect it to be. It's a fun way to get back onto the swing of things. :D

Muziek
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Nov 2014, 10:57 pm

- As mentioned above, get back to the basic stuff because they will form your foundation. Like drawing 3-d geometrical objects.

- Expand these objects. Eg draw a cilinder --> draw a dumbbell or a rolling cranck. Add easy details that pop up in your brain.

- Select point of light source. And draw the bright and dark area's of the object. Draw the shade of the object on a horizontal and/or vertical surface.

- Get to know, or get them back fresh in your mind, the basic drawing princples. There are probably a lot of good youtube vids about these.
I found this concise explanation about 1,2, and 3 point perspective drawings.

- The most important tip a can give you: HAVE FUN AND ENJOYMENT when drawing!

:salut: