I need advice for a character in my musical.

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

25 Dec 2014, 9:46 pm

I always seem to be in those situations of unique circumstances or exceptions. The musical I am currently working on has placed me in this category. I am seeking advice for a certain character that is posing me a little problem.

The musical is set in the United States in the early part of the 20th Century, so the language is English. However, one of my two main characters comes from an ancient land (yes a little magic involved) and therefore is of a nation that did not speak English. The character arrives suddenly in America and is to interact with the American characters. But there would be a language barrier in real life. How would be the best way to deal with this in my musical? Have the character immediately speaking English? Or should there be some sort of magic crystal that lets the character automatically know English? In a musical, things shouldn't be complicated. So would it be acceptable to have the ancient character immediately speaking English and not worry about how this would be in real life?