Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2016, 7:44 pm

Does anyone have anything to say about George Formby , the 20th Century UK music hall performer known for such songs as " Aunt Maggie's Remedy " , and " When I'm Cleaning Windows " ? (There , how's THAT for a "Five Ws/expositioary opening sentence ?)
I'll wait a little before I get into the inevitable " Was he an Aspie ? " question :lol:...

Alexanderplatz
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2016, 8:20 pm

As a child, was very very interested in his films that were shown on television in the 60's, but not so much interested in his songs.

fifasy
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2016, 2:28 pm

I know that he was from a town in England called Wigan. He probably named himself after the seaside town Formby. I've visited that town which has a stunning beach and red squirrels live in the woods there, a very rare species.

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2016, 6:24 pm

...Literally , he took the name of his late father , also George Formby , a himself successful music hall performer , though he actually had another legal name (Lon Chaney Jr. comes to mind ~ The " Windows " Formby may have been " George Formby Jr. " initially .) , perhaps Pa had taken the town's trappings for monicker inspiration .

fifasy wrote:
I know that he was from a town in England called Wigan. He probably named himself after the seaside town Formby. I've visited that town which has a stunning beach and red squirrels live in the woods there, a very rare species.

fifasy
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2016, 7:09 am

His songs are a good listen for some fun.

Are you a big fan, ASS-P?

Falloy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Jan 2016, 7:13 am

I love George. His songs are pretty clever and funny (although I'll admit his voice can get annoying after a time). This is classic British humour. I was a bit surprised that someone from the US knew of him - is he well known over there?