Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

ErikMouse
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 Sep 2005, 3:06 am

Hey, I'm not sure if you still remember me as it has been a long while since I last posted here, and that the site mod *might* still be interested in wanting "The Elfstone Legacy" story of mine. At this time, I have progressed a bit on it, but now it seems that I feel discouraged to continue it. The reason that happened is because I went to my grandma's on Sunday and was showing what I have written so far to my aunt. And her response was because I have too much redundancy in it with other crap. Since then, I have been feeling depressed and not wanting to write, and I can't seem to find anyone to talk to about this as I feel that I likely need a proof reader or editor to go over it. And besides this, I am trying to write three other things which are two different fanfics and a storyline for an rp game. Anyway, if you are going through something similar to this and could be of help, please let me know, I am currently alone.

Sincerely,

Erik

"I'm very kind, and easy to please! I'll be your friend, if you give me some cheese!"

vetivert
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2005, 3:24 am

i think all writers go through a deflated stage, even several of them, when they're writing a piece, erikmouse. i did, last week - having had the inspiration for a new novel, i planned it out, wrote the first chapter and sent it off to an author friend of mine. who promptly said that the main thrust wasn't to his taste. well, that stopped me from continuing with the second chapter (i'm about a third of the way through it). still, it's only one person's opinion.

have you thought of joining a writing group, where you can get constructive feedback on your work? apart from anything else, there would be a range of opinion, and you'd find out why they think something isn't working.

and wouldn't we all like our own, personal editor :roll:

ErikMouse
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 Sep 2005, 4:54 am

vetivert wrote:
i think all writers go through a deflated stage, even several of them, when they're writing a piece, erikmouse. i did, last week - having had the inspiration for a new novel, i planned it out, wrote the first chapter and sent it off to an author friend of mine. who promptly said that the main thrust wasn't to his taste. well, that stopped me from continuing with the second chapter (i'm about a third of the way through it). still, it's only one person's opinion.

have you thought of joining a writing group, where you can get constructive feedback on your work? apart from anything else, there would be a range of opinion, and you'd find out why they think something isn't working.

and wouldn't we all like our own, personal editor :roll:

Well, I have not thought of let alone found an online writing group for constructive feedback...err, wait a sec, there was this one online group or forum that I went to (besides here) where I was trying to get constructive feedback for my writing. What I recall getting in response there, is something that wasn't constructive at all where someone thought that it had to do with Gummi Bears in Final Fantasy VII. :( And I never mentioned either of those and I think that the critic was watching too many late night reruns of Advert Children or something. :lol:

Anyway, because of that, I ended up for a long time now just talking to friends who seemed to at first wanted to see my writings, but now acting like they don't want to see it or something. So this is why I am ending up depressed and looking for anykind of help.

Sincerely,

Erik

"I'm very kind, and easy to please! I'll be your friend, if you give me some cheese!"

DrizzleMan
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2005, 7:40 am

One online writing group I've been a part of is Critters. If you sign up you can submit a story every 4 weeks in return for writing critiques of other people's every week or so. Writing critiques can teach you just as much as actually writing stories because it forces you to think about what you like to read and why.

Another great project is nanowrimo (national novel writing month). You can register in October and the community there is amazing. Daily writing exercises, discussions on everything from plot to character to worldbuilding to 'what professions are there aside from warrior and wizard in a fantasy world, anyway?'