Yes 50%  50%  [ 5 ]
No 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
No 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 10

kitty
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

04 Dec 2004, 6:55 pm

I want to know if anyone is obsessed with volcanoes 8) My dad is obsessed with volcanoes :) I will say that where you go to see a volcanoe, go when an eruption is over and people have rebuilt their homes.

:!: DON'T I repeat DON'T go when a eruption is going on :!:

That is a word of warning to all who visit volcanoesthat are active.

:idea: All who visit a volcano, take this advice I posted :idea:

Epimonandas
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2004, 12:26 am

kitty wrote:
I want to know if anyone is obsessed with volcanoes 8) My dad is obsessed with volcanoes :) I will say that where you go to see a volcanoe, go when an eruption is over and people have rebuilt their homes.

:!: DON'T I repeat DON'T go when a eruption is going on :!:

That is a word of warning to all who visit volcanoesthat are active.

:idea: All who visit a volcano, take this advice I posted :idea:

No. But I know a few things. Like the supervolcanoes, there are 5 or 6 on Earth. One is about a 100 miles wide at the crater. Olympus Mons is the largest known volcano in the known universe. Pompeii was destroyed by one. So was the island of Thera and after a 50 year delay the Minoan civilization, one of the candidates for the Altantis civilaztion. It wiped out an early man branch in Indonesia. There are underwater volcanoes. I think along the Atlantic ridge is a bunch of them. There is the Ring of Fire around the Pacific Ocean. That is a summary of some of the things I know.

kitty
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

11 Dec 2004, 10:14 am

Quote:
Curiosity never killed the cat, it just made him really, really dizzy.
-Matt Galant, host The Planet's Funniest Animals (Animal Planet TV)

There is dormant Mega Volcano in Yellowstone National Park. If it erupted again it would pretty much devastate the land for a thousand miles around! 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O :o :o :o :o :!: :!: :!: :!:

Epimonandas
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2004, 12:17 pm

kitty wrote:
Quote:
Curiosity never killed the cat, it just made him really, really dizzy.
-Matt Galant, host The Planet's Funniest Animals (Animal Planet TV)

There is dormant Mega Volcano in Yellowstone National Park. If it erupted again it would pretty much devastate the land for a thousand miles around! 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O :o :o :o :o :!: :!: :!: :!:

Yeah, that is the one I mentioned that is 100 miles wide at the crater. I just didn't name them all. The one that exploded in Asia and wiped one of man's ancestoral family lines was Toba. When these things explode they are like meteorites, with similar force and can block sunlight over a wide area for months, not to mention the vast territory directly affected. They are thousands of times more powerful than conventional volcanoes. And Yellowstone erupts every 600-800,000 years, it has been about 650,000 years since the last eruption. So we could be due anytime now. At least one, volcanologist doing research on the site, says the caldera is rising (about a centimeter a year on average), which means there could be a future eruption. It is capable of directly affecting an area of about 3,000 miles across or about half the U.S. From the Mississippi to the several miles into the Pacific, to the Yukon to the Gulf of Mexico could be hit with the ash and debris. The Yellowstone is capable of vents as high 200+ miles. The caldera is about 15,000 cubic kilometers alone. A large amount of global food supply is produced in this part of the world. But not just america would be effected look at the last supervolcano eruption.

Compare a recent supervolcano eruption about 75,000 years ago and how it affected the human race. It nearly wiped out humans and reduced our population to a few thousand. There is still ash from this eruption 35cm deep in deep ocean water 2500 km from the epicenter. It caused temperature around the world to drop 5 degrees. That might not seem much, but think of the recent disaster movies. That is catastrophic for plant and animal life. Although I have been unable to ascertain an approximate number in the world population, guesstimates would be between 50,000 and 2 million, but that could be false since I have been unable to verify the only source estimated at least 50,000 boomed in Africa, but it does not say if that is just number that moved out, the whole world, or a short term increase.

Anyway, ash can remain in the air for long periods of time, if I remember correctly the show I saw on supervolcanoes suggested something like 6 months to 2 years around the world as the ash is projected so high small dust gets carried far away, but the heavier initial ash fall would mainly land in the Western U.S. for the Yellowstone supervolcano. It is estimated that the blast it is capable of could cover then entire U.S. in 5 inches of ash. This ash could get sucked into the lungs, so those closest to it, if they survived the blast, my not survive the intake of ash filled air. The world with lower tempertures and global scale ash cloud cover would suffer from lack of food, since many of the plants would die off, if not around the world the massive amount the world depends on that is produced by the U.S. Maybe you, Kitty, could explain the effects of such a massive eruption on the world that measures 3-10,000 times that of Mount St. Helens' as I am trying to remember details from a show I saw on supervolcanoes once about a year ago plus with supported reference information that is woefully incomplete.

Another thing, it would be the loudest sound the world has experienced since the Toba eruption some 75,000 years ago. That would be especially harmful or at least annoying to Aspies.

ozymandias
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2004, 4:23 pm

Hello Epimonandas: I'm Kitty's volcano fanatic Dad. I also saw the Discovery Channel program on super volcanoes. It was quite eye opening!

Just a little update on Yellowstone, one of the major geyser basins, The Norris Basin is heating up to the point that they had to close off parts to tourists. What I just discovered this summer, is that Yellowstone has frequent smaller steam blasts. They have found evidence of these along with Native American artifacts in the blast debris. These are not true eruptions, just blasts of pent up steam. No magma reaches the surface.
But powerful enough that you wouldn't want to be near one when it happened.

There is also some ground swelling going on near South Sister volcano, the youngest of the Three Sister's volcanoes in the Cascade Range.

I have a number of Volcano sites that I can use to stay updated, One is called VQ Online. It's called the Volcano Quarterly and is updated 4 times a year. It's like a mini-volcano magazine on computer. At the end they list a quite a few sites to dig up volcano info on. I'll put up some more info as I get the time to post.

Peace

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2005, 9:30 pm

I don't really consider myself a volcano fan, but I like to read and learn about them alot. I think i'm more scared of them than anything, but I find them extremely interesting.

Chris
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Jan 2005, 1:44 pm

I know that whenever Mt. St. Helens erupted, a new disease was named: pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis. It's some icky disease where you get some sort of sand deposits in your lungs. I love that sesquipedalian(which means "long word").

:star:

ozymandias
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2005, 5:24 pm

hale_bopp wrote:
I don't really consider myself a volcano fan, but I like to read and learn about them alot. I think i'm more scared of them than anything, but I find them extremely interesting.

Hi hale_bopp; Out of curiosity which Island of New Zealand do you live on!! I occasionally read of the volcanoes of the North Island. Lake Taupo had a huge eruption that was dated at approx. 106AD. I haven't read or heard much of them in the last few years, so I presume they'v been pretty quiet and hopefully will stay that way for everyones sake.

Anyway, sorry to be nosy!!

Peace

duncvis
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2005, 6:18 pm

Hi ozymandias

Have recently read a bit on Wikipedia about supervolcanoes - awe inspiring to think there is so much destructive power beneath us. Will have to look out for the Discovery Channel programme - and if you have time to post some of those links I'd be interested to have a browse... 8O

Dunc

www.last.fm/user/nursethescreams <<my last.fm thingy

FOR THE HORDE!

ozymandias
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2005, 9:28 pm

duncvis wrote:
Hi ozymandias

Have recently read a bit on Wikipedia about supervolcanoes - awe inspiring to think there is so much destructive power beneath us. Will have to look out for the Discovery Channel programme - and if you have time to post some of those links I'd be interested to have a browse... 8O

Dunc

Hi duncvis: Here's the list that I can come up with at the moment:

http//gfd.gly.bris.ac.uk/links.htm

http//www.volcano.si.edu

http//volcanoes.usgs.gov/

http//www.volcanostore.com (this is where I get my volcano calendars from--the centerfolds are hotter than playboy's :roll: Sorry I couldn't resist that pun.)

www.geosciencebooks.com/catalog.html (this is where I have obtained many of my books on volcanoes, at the end of the site is a list of volcano web sites.)

There are two real time webcams that I have visited in the past, one is for Mt. Fuji in Japan, there you can actually change the position of the camera
from your computer, you might be able to get it by doing a websearch. But since there is nothing going on at present, well, it's still cool to check out.

Another one is for Mt. Popocatapetl near Mexico City (I hope I spelled that right). It is currently active, albeit slightly, but, the potential to actually see something is a bit ..cool!!

If I get more exact info on those sites, I'll post them!!

Hope that's helpful!! ! Let me know what you think!!

Peace

duncvis
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2005, 4:40 am

Thanks ozymandias! I'll have a look at those later and comment.

Quote:
(this is where I get my volcano calendars from--the centerfolds are hotter than playboy's :roll: Sorry I couldn't resist that pun.)
groan! :lol:

Dunc

FOR THE HORDE!

ozymandias
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2005, 11:43 am

I look forward to hearing your views!! !

Peace

duncvis
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2005, 8:17 am

Argh! still haven't had a few hours of quality 'obsessing time' to have a proper look at those links ozymandias, but have been browsing this huge site by a volcanologist called John Seach you might find interesting:

http://www.volcanolive.com/

there are loads of maps there which keeps distracting me, as thats my primary obsession (other than music, my other one), with other earth science stuff following close behind it.

FOR THE HORDE!

ozymandias
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2005, 5:10 pm

Hi duncvis; Thanks for link, I checked it out and was amazed at the livecam sites. It even included the Mt. Popocatapetl site that I knew of.
I just added it to my favorites. I'm not as computer savvy as most of the members here at WP, so most of my stuff is "stumbling into search", instead of actually knowing what I'm doing. Kitty at 12 can already find her way around the internet better than me and her mom.

There's a bookstore in Montana, that I gave you the website for called "Geoscience books", my friend who runs it deals in out of print earth science books of all types. The site that I gave you gives access to all his current catalogs. It's funny that there are a bunch of us out there who, like me collect any and all books about volcanoes. When he puts out a catalog, I have to put in my order ASAP, otherwise I lose out. But since I'm one of his "good" customers, he'll call me to give me first crack when something really good crosses his desk. There's a nickname in the field of geophysics book dealers for people like me. We're called "Shake and Bakers", a title I wear with pride! :roll: 8)

I picked up two books that deal with volcanoes in Australia, NZ and Antarctica or just AustraliaAsia in general. My specialty is volcanoes and human history, interactions and just the sheer beauty of "living Mountains", as the phrase was used by Maurice and Katia Krafft, the french volcanologists who were killed in Japan about 10 years ago.

Geoscience books also deals with Paleontology, mining, mineral surveys and a lot of technical stuff dealing with the earth sciences. In case anybody else was interested in that stuff.

Peace

ozymandias
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2005, 12:25 pm

Happy Mt. St. Helens 25th anniversary of the big eruption Day!! ! 8O

rrrrrrrrruuuuuuuuuuuuummmmmmbbblllle 8O Was it something I said!!

BlackLiger
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2005, 12:32 pm

Doom and Gloom Galore. Does anyone else feel that this planet may be considering killin us off? Super Volcanoes, Asteroid Impacts, Nuclear war. Wow, so many highly destructive ways to end all human life.............