Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

12 Apr 2024, 6:19 pm

I have recently begun writing a horror anthology that I intend to publish. At least that's my goal. I have scraped together some stories I had worked on in past years and added new material. So far, I have 22,000 words written among the selections.

Anyway ... I wanted to analyze why I got into horror. I believe it happened when I was close to kindergarten age when my parents bought me a comic book I wanted -- Eerie Publication's Horror Tales (Terror Tales, Tales from the Tomb, Weird Tales, etc.). Those horrifying stirred my imagination and created a fascination for me.

I am hoping to find others around here that have a similar interest in writing horror short stories and novelettes.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2024, 9:13 pm

I don't have an interest in writing it, but I like to read 18th-19th Century Gothic literature and ghost stories.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2024, 4:32 am

A life long horror fiction addict here! I've published six books involving horror on Amazon: two novellas, and four anthologies of short fiction.
I remember Eerie very well, as well as its companion magazine, Creepy, both of which I used to read religiously. But probably my biggest influence came from my dad who had regaled me with stories by H.P. Lovecraft and Robert E. Howard. Since, I've inundated myself with all varieties of horror fiction.
I wish you all the luck in the world with your aspirations to write horror fiction.

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Yesterday, 2:47 pm

Thank you IsabellaLinton and Kraichgauer for responding. After some "drama" at church this morning and mowing the grass, I've been trying to stay awake while watching the final round of the Masters from my easy seat. If I can get woke up, I will try to write some on my book today. Before church started (I'm the organist) I went back to the vacant choir room and did some outlining for one of the stories I'm adding to the book.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

Yesterday, 2:53 pm

I used to play organ as a child.

I wonder if you can post some of your music for us?

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

Yesterday, 4:02 pm

I write a bit, not as much as i used to.

When i was a kid we read a book called Dark Towers at school. It had a TV show that went with it. Anyway I find it on youtube recently and I realised its basically my origin story. My love of old buildings, obsession with follies and fear of ghosts.

I've always found supernatural stuff scarier than gore. People running around with cleavers doesn't do much for me but ghosts give me the willies.

I don't write horror. I wrote a novella that sets itself up as a horror/ghost story but turns into something different at the end.

I don't read much horror either, not contemporary horror anyway, but my favourite book is House of Leaves by Mark z. Danielewski which is a horror book, of a sort.

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Yesterday, 4:56 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
I used to play organ as a child.

I wonder if you can post some of your music for us?

I'll see if I can get something off of the church's service recordings that I can share. Thank you for your interest. So you played organ too. I always found it a fascinating instrument.

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Yesterday, 4:59 pm

DuckHairback wrote:
I've always found supernatural stuff scarier than gore. People running around with cleavers doesn't do much for me but ghosts give me the willies.

My thoughts exactly. I also believe the Lovecraft philosophy that the fear of the unknown is the most horrifying thing. If you ever get bored, you ought to start writing again -- a great escape.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

Yesterday, 5:02 pm

glider18 wrote:

I'll see if I can get something off of the church's service recordings that I can share. Thank you for your interest. So you played organ too. I always found it a fascinating instrument.

My grandmother was an organist and I believe she played for church too. When she died we got her organ, and my parents kind of forced me to take lessons so that it wasn't redundant in the house. A man came and taught me but I didn't like it very much at the time because it made me miss my grandmother. I wish I would have taken it more seriously.

My parents eventually gave it to a family friend, about 20 years later. Now my son got one for himself and his partner (at my house), but I haven't sat down to try it again.

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Yesterday, 5:08 pm

To IsabellaLinton:

Interesting, my grandmother played organ in church too. The years she played would have been prior to World War II in a pioneer style Methodist Church that sat in the middle of a cemetery. The organ she played was the old-fashioned reed "pump" organ. Even though the organ was hers, it ended up being given to someone else decades ago. However, she kept the square stool that went with it. After my grandparents' death, I got the stool and had it restored. A church I used to play at had restored an old reed organ, and I played it some on Sunday mornings along with the electronic Baldwin. I now play at my old home church and use my own Hammond organ and Leslie speaker. My grandmother's old stool is now in my music room at my house.

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

Yesterday, 5:25 pm

glider18 wrote:
If you ever get bored, you ought to start writing again -- a great escape.

I hope to. I wrote a novel which knocked my confidence and then had a kid which drastically reduced the time I have for hobbies.

I also write for a living (non-fiction) which takes some of the fun out of it!

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Yesterday, 5:38 pm

When my kids were growing up, I didn't seem to write as much either. Sounds like you had a bad experience with a novel? With nonfiction for me, I like to read it, but I prefer writing fiction. However, I have written a 135,000 word collection of my memoirs of growing up -- my earliest memories through my high school years. I intended to publish it as it loosely dealt with Asperger's, but those stories are personal ... and I just don't know if I want them to be out in the world.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

Yesterday, 5:48 pm

glider18 wrote:
To IsabellaLinton:

Interesting, my grandmother played organ in church too. The years she played would have been prior to World War II in a pioneer style Methodist Church that sat in the middle of a cemetery. The organ she played was the old-fashioned reed "pump" organ. Even though the organ was hers, it ended up being given to someone else decades ago. However, she kept the square stool that went with it. After my grandparents' death, I got the stool and had it restored. A church I used to play at had restored an old reed organ, and I played it some on Sunday mornings along with the electronic Baldwin. I now play at my old home church and use my own Hammond organ and Leslie speaker. My grandmother's old stool is now in my music room at my house.

That's fascinating!
I love the idea of the Methodist cemetery. Did she ever know you had an interest, or that you played?

My grandmother was born in 1913. She would have played pre-and-post WWII, for the Church of England. We got hers in the 1970s and it was electronic but I'm not sure how old it was. It had some funky synthesizer sound buttons on it, and a seat that opened with a hinge. I used to hide things in there for years. Your restored square stool sounds lovely and very meaningful.

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Yesterday, 5:56 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
That's fascinating!
I love the idea of the Methodist cemetery. Did she ever know you had an interest, or that you played?

My grandmother was born in 1913. She would have played pre-and-post WWII, for the Church of England. We got hers in the 1970s and it was electronic but I'm not sure how old it was. It had some funky synthesizer sound buttons on it, and a seat that opened with a hinge. I used to hide things in there for years. Your restored square stool sounds lovely and very meaningful.

Yes, she loved to listen to me play. At that time, I had a Kimball organ. She was born in 1914 and died in 1992. I had the organ stool restored sometime after 1992 and used it with the reed organ at the other church in the 2010s.