Page 1 of 16 [ 247 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2020, 3:09 am

So, who else plays guitar?
What do you like to play?
What sort of gear do you have?

I mostly like to play punk and metal. I prefer to play songs I've written than playing other people's stuff.

I have three guitars and a bass; they're all made by Ibanez. I have an ORM-1 (first year, in black), an SZ520QM, an RG7321 (my 7 string) and a GIO bass. I've owned and played other brands but I've been really happy with my Ibanezes so they're what I kept when I got rid of gear about a decade ago.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2020, 3:16 am

very poorly, despite 3 years of struggling to do better. my left-hand fingers seem very reluctant to bend themselves into the required chord shapes. even simple C chords are nigh well agonizing.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

03 Nov 2020, 3:20 am

Classical guitar.
Not much recently, my children have very different taste from me :/

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2020, 3:22 am

magz wrote:
Classical guitar.

as a journeyman guitarist, would you say that after 3 years of no progress, that one should just give up, that one simply lacks the genes for it?

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

03 Nov 2020, 3:26 am

auntblabby wrote:
magz wrote:
Classical guitar.

as a journeyman guitarist, would you say that after 3 years of no progress, that one should just give up, that one simply lacks the genes for it?

Not necessarily.
Training your hands to handle guitar can take time and effort.
How often do you play?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2020, 3:33 am

magz wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
magz wrote:
Classical guitar.

Not necessarily.
Training your hands to handle guitar can take time and effort.
How often do you play?

for the first two years, every day, but my left hand and fingers could never tolerate more than an hour of struggling to bend, tops, and i'd have to take frequent breaks and shake out my left hand. i have a MUCH easier and more natural time with the baritone uke. the tenor guitar [classical with nylon] is just too stiff-strung for comfort, esp. the higher strings. but i can play a baritone uke easily for an hour. i was able to progress on the uke but not the guitar.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2020, 3:36 am

auntblabby wrote:
magz wrote:
Classical guitar.

I wouldn't give up because one can't form any given chord. There's always power chords, movable dyads and cowboy chords to work with.

That said, if nylon strings were too stiff for comfort I'd imagine a steel-stringed electric wouldn't be to pleasant to play. :skull:

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2020, 3:42 am

funeralxempire wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
magz wrote:
Classical guitar.

I wouldn't give up because one can't form any given chord. There's always power chords, movable dyads and cowboy chords to work with.

That said, if nylon strings were too stiff for comfort I'd imagine a steel-stringed electric wouldn't be to pleasant to play. :skull:

what would you say is the magic stuff about a baritone uke [IMHO 2/3 of a tenor guitar in an alto form] that is so much easier?

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

03 Nov 2020, 3:49 am

auntblabby wrote:
what would you say is the magic stuff about a baritone uke [IMHO 2/3 of a tenor guitar in an alto form] that is so much easier?

I don't know but ukulele has this magic about it - my brother owns one and I found out, whatever you play, it just sounds right 8O

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2020, 3:50 am

auntblabby wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
magz wrote:
Classical guitar.

Short scale and nylon strings. The nylon strings don't hold much tension; acoustic bronze strings or electric steel strings hold a lot more tension. That's why truss rods are more common on guitars intended to use them compared to a guitar intended to only ever be strung with nylon strings.

What are they typically tuned to? EADGBe is typical for guitar, but I'm not sure how the lowest note on a baritone uke compares.

My ORM has pretty light string tension considering the huge strings I use because I keep all my guitars tuned to C# instead of E. Again, it's that it has a relatively short scale compared to a most guitars (24" vs. 25.5").

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2020, 3:54 am

^^^BTW thank you :) for the advice about "cowboy chords" as that is new to me. :study:

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2020, 4:21 am

auntblabby wrote:
^^^BTW thank you :) for the advice about "cowboy chords" as that is new to me. :study:

You're welcome. Generally they're not the 'preferred' voicing but they're still a version of said chord. Besides, if you were to play with someone else, having them play the 'standard' voicing while you play an alternate will sound bigger than if you both played the same chords all the same way.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2020, 4:28 am

funeralxempire wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

You're welcome. Generally they're not the 'preferred' voicing but they're still a version of said chord. Besides, if you were to play with someone else, having them play the 'standard' voicing while you play an alternate will sound bigger than if you both played the same chords all the same way.

i hope sometime before i die i meet another equally inept guitarist to share some simple tunes with.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2020, 4:35 am

auntblabby wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

i hope sometime before i die i meet another equally inept guitarist to share some simple tunes with.

I've always been a fan of this approach.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

03 Nov 2020, 4:39 am

funeralxempire wrote:
I've always been a fan of this approach.

Punk rock? :mrgreen:

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2020, 4:48 am

magz wrote:
Punk rock? :mrgreen:

Most certainly. NoFX taught me how to write for two guitars.
Although mine is deeply influenced by the different extreme metal I listen to, so it's closer to powerviolence or grindcore than pop-punk.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う