Rock N Roll HOF who most deserves to get in?

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

MagicToenail
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Jul 2015, 7:03 pm

...who isn't in already
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Induct-Warren-Zevon-Into-The-Rock-Roll-Hall-of-Fame/110280292322142?fref=ts
Most of my faves are either too obscure, British or both, like Joy Division/New Order, Kate Bush, Robyn Hitchcock, Nick Lowe and XTC. Warren Zevon is one of my few faves that has a snowball's chance in hell of getting in.
Or do you agree with the people who think the American Rock N Roll HOF is a badge of mediocrity to an artist?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2015, 8:09 pm

No one who was born after Buddy Holly died.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

05 Jul 2015, 8:34 pm

Surely Joy Division/New Order must be strong contenders?

I don't know who is currently in.

I found an article listing possible 2016 inductees (artists who first released a song in 1990), and Blur were the stand outs. Others include Alice In Chains, Fugazi, Smashing Pumpkins, and The La's, plus Ice Cube for some genre bending.

MagicToenail
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Jul 2015, 8:40 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
Surely Joy Division/New Order must be strong contenders?

I don't know who is currently in.

I found an article listing possible 2016 inductees (artists who first released a song in 1990), and Blur were the stand outs. Others include Alice In Chains, Fugazi, Smashing Pumpkins, and The La's, plus Ice Cube for some genre bending.

I always thought Joy Division was a no go because of their relatively short existence and New Order is too English.

MagicToenail
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Jul 2015, 8:58 pm

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2015, 9:57 pm

A lot of bands who technically should be there because they were very original, but will not be due to the fact that their music will never be radio freindly enough to earn the major record companies a lot of money. --The R&R HOF is really nothing more than a bauble to celebrate the fact that particuar bands garnered enough record sales to warrant being recognised as HOF members.

Green Day is in the HOF, but HOF hometown locals Pere Ubu most likely never will be.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2015, 10:29 pm

I think The Monkees should be inducted into the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame. I know that critics think they're just a TV band who didn't even play their own instruments. My take on it is that they've recorded a lot of great songs during their heyday.

jwfess
Raven
Raven

05 Jul 2015, 10:48 pm

Very strange, I'm reading that Deep Purple, Judas Priest, and Iron Maiden aren't in the Rock and Roll HOF. Someone might not be a fan of heavy music, but those bands were massively influential in the development of metal. Plus no Ronnie James Dio? He's really one of the most outstanding rock/metal vocalists.

MagicToenail
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Jul 2015, 4:26 am

Fogman wrote:
A lot of bands who technically should be there because they were very original, but will not be due to the fact that their music will never be radio freindly enough to earn the major record companies a lot of money. --The R&R HOF is really nothing more than a bauble to celebrate the fact that particuar bands garnered enough record sales to warrant being recognised as HOF members.

Green Day is in the HOF, but HOF hometown locals Pere Ubu most likely never will be.

Interesting, are you for more or less weight for fan voting? Or would you like to see critics or professionals get a say like in the sports' HOF or the Academy Awards. I was kind of surprised Black Flag never made it.

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2015, 4:05 pm

MagicToenail wrote:
Fogman wrote:

Interesting, are you for more or less weight for fan voting? Or would you like to see critics or professionals get a say like in the sports' HOF or the Academy Awards. I was kind of surprised Black Flag never made it.

The way I see it is that only really 'Middle of the Road' bands are getting in due to the fact that well, they have mas market appeal. ABBA of course is in, but Algarnas Tradgard is not. Conversely, if you look at the membership roster of Hawkwind, the bands that they have been in, and the real influence that Hawkwind had on Rock and Roll, and still has to this day their absence is glaringly conspicuous, as are the absence of Can, Faust, Neu!, and Amon Duul. These were bands that were completely original, who had a profound influence on the music that we listen to, to the point of many bands are still copying their styles many years after the fact, yet they do not get credit. Although there are some artists there who most certainly are legendary. there are many others who's groundbreaking styles have rendered them obscure. -- The R&R HOF is for a very large part more hype than substance.

Personally I don't care one way or another about how they make their selections, as I think it's overrated. Not only has not Black Flag made it, but neither have Dick Dale, Link Wray, the previously mentioned Pere Ubu, or for that matter Rocket From The Tombs who spawned not only them, but also The Dead Boys and many others, but Hall & Oates, are in?

Factory Ten
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

07 Jul 2015, 3:43 pm

Joy Division had what I deem to be the greatest debut album of all time. They are one of the most influential bands of all time in my eyes. However, I couldn't care less if they make it to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Joy Division, whether recognized or not, has always been a strong part of my life for the past ten years and that's all that matters to me. I've grown past the point where I need my favourite artists to be recognized commercially or critically by others.

PS: I have two childhood friends - one looks like a short Ian Curtis, the other like a tall Stephen Morris. It's creepy.

MagicToenail
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Jul 2015, 6:29 pm

Factory Ten wrote:
Joy Division had what I deem to be the greatest debut album of all time. They are one of the most influential bands of all time in my eyes. However, I couldn't care less if they make it to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Joy Division, whether recognized or not, has always been a strong part of my life for the past ten years and that's all that matters to me. I've grown past the point where I need my favourite artists to be recognized commercially or critically by others.

PS: I have two childhood friends - one looks like a short Ian Curtis, the other like a tall Stephen Morris. It's creepy.

I think that maybe the HOF can be turned into a real force for good if reformed drastically. It might give some exposure in the mainstream to older and more obscure bands like the ones Fogman mentioned. Most serious music lovers lover think the HOF is currently a bit of a joke because it rewards the mediocre.

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2015, 7:14 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
I think The Monkees should be inducted into the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame. I know that critics think they're just a TV band who didn't even play their own instruments. My take on it is that they've recorded a lot of great songs during their heyday.

Let's try it again...this site sometimes has a gift for deleting posts...

Anyway, I love the Monkees (and Kinks). Their film is really brilliant. But I think they are unappreciated and misunderstood since many see them as a band and not a media project, so I doubt they will get in the Hall easily.

Personally, I think the Hall is a joke. I don't rate bands or songs, I try to critique them on their own terms. I use different music for different reasons. It's not a contest to me, and I think the Hall becomes even more meaningless if everyone gets in. No Hall for me.

diminished57
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Jul 2015, 1:13 am

The RRHoF is a museum. If they inducted all that are be obvious inductees, you'd visit once and probably never return. I believe they're inducting rap acts to broaden their interest base.

Rockymtnchris
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Jul 2015, 1:44 am

Where's Neil Sedaka?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IrDz-urxVw

Neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 125 of 200
Neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 93 of 200

RAADS:
Total score-161.0 Language-18.0 Social relatedness-69.0 Sensory/motor-39.0

Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2015, 4:19 am

madonna's in the rock n roll hall of fame, with that said, i do not take it seriously.