romantic comedy about a woman with AS

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

managertina
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2015, 12:12 am

Hi all,

I am an Aspie lady trying to write a romantic comedy where the Aspie lady does everything wrong while dating. Do you think there would be a readership for that? I feel that it is more acceptable culturally for men to be wrong, but I also would love to explore seeing a romantic comedy out there with someone like me as the lead. (who did not know til two years ago to not where hiking shoes with a miniskirt ---- speaking metaporically, as I would never EVER wear a miniskirt).

Tina

yelekam
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2015, 1:49 am

There may be a readership for something like this. I am not very knowledgeable about the romantic comedy market. Bu it seems tat everyone and a while some divergence from the standard variety gains popularity in the track of keeping the genre fresh enough.

Mahler7
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

23 Nov 2015, 1:50 am

Sure there could be a market for that. Anything that's written well can sell ... with a little bit of luck.

Reminds me of a trailer I saw recently about a girl with ASD who's trying to find a boyfriend. It looks like a smaller budget movie, but someone had to pay for it.

Jane Wants A Boyfriend

P.S. the part where she cries for joy when she gets the phone call in the trailer seemed like overacting to me for the split second after I saw it, and then I had to hold back tears because I realized that's exactly how I would have felt in that situation.

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2015, 8:29 am

I personally can't stand rom coms, and I think a lot of aspies I've ever known can't stand them either.

I think a lot of aspies would prefer films with less lovey girly stuff in them. I'm sorry. But films based on a relationship, or trying to get into one are just...urgh. I'm talking cheesy Hugh Grant type ones (Love Actually - BLEGH) Films like Sleepless in Seattle are classics though.

It's up to you though, of course. :D

managertina
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2015, 9:02 am

Thanks for the encouragement, guys!

And yes, there isn't much romance to it. She is so far a flat character that does not dress well but practically. My main fault is that I have her down more as a stereotype rather than a real person. She needs reworking. Unfortunately, like me, she gets more out of discussing technical manuals than putting on lipstick... Stuff like that.

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2015, 9:11 am

Just keep at it. Play with it for fun, write little scenes, even if they don't all make the book they will help develop the character. Make her your imaginary friend or alter-ego, take your character through your days with you. Get to know her, she will flesh out.

I would read it. I hate romantic comedies, but I would read it.

I hate romantic comedies, like the only one I ever watched of my own free will was As Good As It Gets. But now that I heard about it and based on the trailer, I want to see Jane Wants A Boyfriend. Because I just laughed so hard, and Jane is so me.

managertina
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2015, 8:44 pm

That is awesome advice. I realised I was writing her according to a type, and that would help so so much to do small scenes. I am ambivalent about diagnosing her, but am told that she is unrepeatable. Unfortunately, I had to be told not to wear hiking shoes with a fashionable outfit and it took half hour to forty that I was on a date. I was also dumped shortly after disclosure once. That individual chose to not tell me he was running in the election in a small party. I have had some very very strange and funny dates.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2015, 10:50 pm

I think this idea would work very well as a movie script.
Incidentally, I think the notion of hiking boots with a miniskirt is hot, in a bohemian way.

managertina
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2015, 3:26 pm

Sorry that my internet has been ridiculously slow this last week or so. Thanks for saying that about the hiking boots and miniskirt. That made my day.

i am at 9000 words so far... it was my nanowrimo project. I only got one day to work on it, so it may be a yearlong project to get to fifty thousand.

Tina

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2015, 7:20 pm

managertina wrote:
Sorry that my internet has been ridiculously slow this last week or so. Thanks for saying that about the hiking boots and miniskirt. That made my day.

i am at 9000 words so far... it was my nanowrimo project. I only got one day to work on it, so it may be a yearlong project to get to fifty thousand.

Tina

Anytime. 8)

GriffinGuitar12
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Dec 2015, 6:10 pm

Mahler7 wrote:
Sure there could be a market for that. Anything that's written well can sell ... with a little bit of luck.

Reminds me of a trailer I saw recently about a girl with ASD who's trying to find a boyfriend. It looks like a smaller budget movie, but someone had to pay for it.

Jane Wants A Boyfriend

P.S. the part where she cries for joy when she gets the phone call in the trailer seemed like overacting to me for the split second after I saw it, and then I had to hold back tears because I realized that's exactly how I would have felt in that situation.

I heard about this one!! Looks like an interesting film!