Do others here have an unusual taste in music?

Page 5 of 8 [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

RedMage
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2007, 5:25 am

I can't beleive people I know don't like video game music. 8O

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2007, 3:30 pm

I am not into video games but I might like the music, I only been a little into PC games and I liked the music of games like Unreal (electronic music) Doom and Doom 2, I have mp3 remixed versions of those games. Mostly I like music of games when they are electronic or fully orchestral

Yeah music from games is unusual, I don't see people actually to care about it, its the same with music from films. I like Harry Gregson-Williams music.

gekitsu
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2007, 7:16 pm

hey, i like videogame music, too!

actually, i almost all the time carry some with me on my ipod. favorites are the orchestral versions of ff6 and ff8, as well as the ff concert (thats so dope) and of course, the metal gear solid soundtracks.

methinks
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Apr 2007, 8:29 pm

skafather84 wrote:
RedMage wrote:
Is video game music unusual?

a lot of it is either j-pop or classically influenced.

the j-pop is kinda out of the ordinary but the classical is pretty commonplace.

not sure how many would consider this weird but i find it fun.

this one is definately weird. :D

If you like Mr. Bungle,check out the new John Zorn record "Six Litanies for Heliogabalus" on Tzadik..it features an amazing Patton improv.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2007, 10:41 pm

RedMage wrote:
I didn't mean J-Pop... I meant this kind of music.

you mean the old school 8 bit nintendo music?

i love that too!!

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2007, 3:44 am

marshall wrote:
gybe:

I guess “unusual” can be misinterpreted. GYBE is not that obscure, but I would call it unusual because there aren’t many other “rock” bands that play that kind of music. It’s closer to the instrumental music you would hear in a movie or video game score than traditional rock music. I was just wondering if it’s a common aspie/autism trait to like instrumental music that doesn’t have the normal pop “hooks”.

I’ve also been looking online for dissonant ambient stuff but haven’t bought anything. I’ve found stuff like “Lull” and “Northaunt”. I like the atmosphere, but it’s hard to tell from the online samples if it will be too repetitive for me.

I think so, it might be an aspie trait to like instrumental over pop, I actually prefer music that don't say anything so you can relate it to anything you want, and not what the performer is relating to.

Ambient music great, it is relaxing actually. When hearing a non rythmic or ambient electronic song, and I suddenly hear a dissonant chord, it gives me a good feeling, don't know if this is what you mean.

methinks
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Apr 2007, 8:23 am

I can listen to the Conet Project for hours,and used to fall asleep scanning shortwave for numbers stations.I think they are beautiful and soothing:

http://www.archive.org/details/ird059

And some of you may not be familiar with these other artists:

http://www.impetusdistribution.co.uk/cs ... er.id.html (esp. I-IV)
http://www.tammen.org/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derek_Bailey

I might also be inclined to list music I truly love like the Art Bears or Bob Drake,ad infinitum,but they are/were clearly prog+avant-garde.Established and recognizable idioms,if I can clearly hear an artist's cultural lineage,do not strike me as particularly "unusual".

Bixbeiderbecke
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 Apr 2007, 11:02 am

anything but overly hip....so overly hip and they think they're so clever they're not actually hip at all alternative/emo/indie rock.......that and classic rock......i cant f*****g stand classic rock....Led Zeppelin can eat my ass, that moby dick drum solo is some pompous ass garbage.......Hal Blaine eats people like John Bonham for breakfast........but besides that, rock n roll, classical, jazz, metal , classic country........its all good for me

Deus_ex_machina
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2007, 11:31 am

Veresae wrote:
gekitsu wrote:
you just cant not like rammstein. :)

I'm actually not that big on Rammstein overall, even though I like Industrial/Metal. "Du Hast" is a great song, yes, but they have no variety--practically all of their songs sound the same, which is one of the things I dislike about pop music in the first place. I'd probably like them better if they weren't so popular, though...I guess I just feel like there are a lot of way better bands of their type that nobody's heard about.

Dude, you know you avatar is awesome, but your music knowledge is next to non existent.

Rammstein for example does actually have alot of variety.

Also Evanescence does not and never did have any connection to Goth, they take influence from alot of sources I'm sure, but not Goth.

http://www.sing365.com/music/lyric.nsf/ ... A00007E1F4

This Biography supports, what I say as it mentions taking influence from Gothic Rock unintentionaly, probably because of Type O Negative which is Gothic Doom according to what I know, which is somewhat influenced by Gothic Rock.

"They do, but what do you think is on the radio? Meat sounds. You know how when you slap or flap meat, it makes a noise? They talk by flapping their meat at each other. They can even sing by squirting air through their meat." - Terry Bisson

Deus_ex_machina
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2007, 11:34 am

gekitsu wrote:
veresae: musically, you are spot-on on rammstein. yet, i guess its because i speak german natively - the whole phenomenon is just great. they are borderlining on so many things, being so much at once, that no one knows how to react to them properly.

as for industrial: there is alot of confusion over the term industrial because several things are labelled industrial - things that dont have much, if anything, in common.
there is the classical (first) industrial movement, of which music was only one facet. bands like genocide organ, brighter death now, deutsch nepal etc... play this kind of music.
then, there is some kind of american industrial, which nine inch nails, skinny puppy and the like are meant with. also, rammstein is often labelled industrial... this kind of industrial seems to be more closely related to a rock/electronica crossover background.
and then, a lot of electro is classified as industrial, as soon as it sounds stomping and machinery-like enough. see :wumpscut:, feindflug, etcetera...

yet, the term industrial didnt derive from a specific sound but a label: industrial records, founded by members of throbbing gristle.

It had to be said.

"They do, but what do you think is on the radio? Meat sounds. You know how when you slap or flap meat, it makes a noise? They talk by flapping their meat at each other. They can even sing by squirting air through their meat." - Terry Bisson

Deus_ex_machina
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2007, 11:53 am

Post-punk, Jazz-Rock, Gothic Rock, Rock, Hard Rock, Chamber Jazz, Metal, Punk Rock, Industrial, J-Rock, Psychedelic Rock, Visual Kei, Folk Rock, Darkwave, Industrial Metal, EBM, Cool Jazz, Futurepop, Alternative, Heavy Metal, New Wave, Dark Metal, Post-Metal, Dark Ambient, Dark Cabaret, Goth Metal, Synth Rock, Death/Doom, Black/Doom, Stoner Doom, Sludge Doom, Electrogoth, Progressive Metal, Electropunk, Synth Pop, No Wave, Trip Hop, Industrial Rock, A cappella, Sludgecore, Aggro-industrial, Romantic, J-Pop, Terror EBM, Drone Doom, Martial Music, Noise Rock, Dance-punk, Gothabilly, Cabaret, Grindcore, Sludge Metal, Steampunk, Grunge, Experimental Rock, Tanz Metal, Nu Jazz, Post-Rock, Soundtrack Music, Deathrock, Krautrock, Coldwave, Stoner Rock, Ambient Metal, Bossa Nova, Electro-industrial, Avant-progressive rock, Sludgecore, Technical Death Metal, Goa Trance, Avant Garde Metal, Gothic Metal, Doom Metal, Avant-progressive rock, Alternative Rock, Alternative Metal, Melodic Black Metal, Gothic Doom, Noise Rock, Neo-Classical, Power Metal, Baroqoue Pop, Electronica.

And yes, I like 8-bit music, along with the music for newer video games, I also like bands that cover 8-bit video game music, like The NESkimos.

miku
Raven
Raven

26 Apr 2007, 8:07 pm

I'm extremely picky. I consider most music I've heard to be s**t. I don't want to hear a 1 4 5 chord progression I've heard a billion times strummed while a man sings about love and loss. It does nothing for me. I don't want to hear someone rap about "how we do it." I don't want to hear Madonna sing about how she likes material posessions or that she thinks words are useless and not fit for conveying meaning.

Here's a brief list of some of the artists I enjoy:

Godspeed You! Black Emperor
Mono
Explosions in the Sky
Igor Stravinsky
Ottorino Respighi
Claude Debussy
Pink Floyd
Phish
The Beatles (the later stuff, when they were doing drugs.. you don't know how often I run into people who say "i like the beatles, but only their earlier stuff" and want to punch them in the face for valuing sh***y pop over actual artistic expression)
Vivaldi
Gershwin
A Silver Mt. Zion
The Doors
Infected Mushroom
Bach
Chopin
Liszt
Philip Glass
Daft Punk (though it is a bit monotonous)
my own stuff

gybe

26 Apr 2007, 8:18 pm

^ you have a good taste. only band/artist I don't like is explosions in the sky.

RedMage
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2007, 10:51 pm

skafather84 wrote:
you mean the old school 8 bit nintendo music?

Yes! Like Mario and Zelda!

Bixbeiderbecke

27 Apr 2007, 4:13 am

My favorite song must be heard on an original 45, on a tube amp..it really must be a tube amp..and especially in a good room....if after hearing it under those conditions and you still on't rank it in at the least...the top ten rock records of all time, Im confident you have no musical ear at all........have you ever heard of a record by Phil Spector called Be my Baby? Its sung by the lovely Veronica Bennett and tThe Ronettes. I love Phil's whole thing, the way he gets the record together. You take the world's greatest musicians....absolute jazz viruousos(i.e Howard Roberts, Barney Kessell,)and classically trained cats, and you have them playing quarter notes(simple stuff) or whatever.......and you can be sure as hell bet it's gonna swing like nothing ever swung before.....Hal Blaine's drumming on Be my Baby alone, could've gotten him to the rock hall of fame.....its the most swining hard rocking drum performance ive ever heard......and its not about what he plays , (spectacular fills, or paradidle de doodles and what have you) its about his style......the way he plays a simple backbeat, the swing in his step, the majestic swoop of his sticks........the arrngment is so wonderful , so elegant .....the wall of sound mixture so ,understated, and subtle, ..yet so heavenly...as opposed to somone like jeff lynne who i think is a tasteess over producer......if you listen to a cd or mp3 of the song you will hear a flat lifeless be my baby, on the other hand if you hear the 45 on the tube amp on a decent speaker you will hear one of the most dynamic, full, bass heavy, records of all time....before I heard the song on the tube amp I thought it was okay........but hearing it like this, it was a religous experience, the instumental clarity was breathtaking, and i didnt normally think of phil spectors wall of sound as having instrumental clarity, oh ....those saxophones droning behind on the chours in block chords, the ......the castanets, articualting the beat, i could sopomorically rhapsodize for hours......but im getting tired.......I also like freddy Chopin, Scott Johplin, Tin Pan Alley/Great American Songbook(not that rod stewart s**t, go back to singing hot legs you bastard),
Marilyn Manson, the Mamas and the papas, Mr bungle, and others but.....

drummer_girl
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Apr 2007, 1:42 pm

i like best American patriotic songs... it is 95% what i listen to and im very intolereant of love songs. i also hate rap r+b and hiphop.

my favorites songs are Star Spangled Banner (played properly wothout all the extra notes.. one or 2 extra notes is tolerated though) God Bless America, This Land is your Land
God Bless the USA