Do others here have an unusual taste in music?

Page 3 of 8 [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next

irishwhistle
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2007, 4:25 am

Not so much unusual as desperately picky. I take an MP3 to the grocery store to keep from being driven crazy by the music they force upon us there... I think they're aiming at my demographic, but since I don't blend in with said demographic, the music misses me completely. I was ready to smack my head against the floor today at IKEA (Hall and Oates, shudder). I don't like music that I consider boring or common, stupid or lacking whatever qualities I like. A long list of traits will make a song acceptible... smart or funny lyrics, a rhythm I like, some feeling built into the musical that I like feeling, a pleasant association, or just a musical form I like. I tend to take a song and obsess it to death so I try now to hold back a little when a song strikes my fancy.

In short, I have a sort of buffet kind of musical taste... Very few groups appeal to me in large amounts. Only They Might Be Giants seems to get into really high volume on my MP3, with others coming close. I have actually managed to get burned out on the Beatles, as hard as that may be to imagine. Took 25 years, mind you. Took the Beatles themselves less time than that to get burned out...

I like classical when I paint, new age when I write or do ink work, rock and roll when I drive. I have learned to reprogram a song that is stuck in my head, sometimes easily and sometimes through tremendous mental and even physical strain (when the mental strain overflows). I sometimes have an almost obsessive need to sing along, to the point that if the song I want to sing is in another language I will make the effort to learn it phonetically. I often cope with stress by singing.

Music, as I found long ago, has such a strong effect on me that I feel the need to keep from being subjected to anything that would cause me to feel other than I want to feel. People affect me similarly, everything seems to. It sometimes feels like I can't truly be myself unless I am completely alone. I feel like everything around me is trying to reprogram me. Funny for someone who tends to have no empathy or sensitivity generally.

Matt_the_Rat
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Apr 2007, 10:41 am

I suppose it could be considered unusual that I like basically all music styles. My musical library has a little bit of everything.

gybe
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

20 Apr 2007, 10:49 am

I enjoy a lot weird or obscure music, not too sure about unusual though. I wouldn't get on well with most people that claimed their taste was unusual. it just seems pointless and selfindulgent to me.

AdrianB
Toucan
Toucan

20 Apr 2007, 10:51 am

I'm one of three metalheads in my WHOLE school of 500 students.
Melodic Death Metal, a bit of Doom, a tiiiiny bit of Black.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2007, 3:06 pm

gybe wrote:
I enjoy a lot weird or obscure music, not too sure about unusual though. I wouldn't get on well with most people that claimed their taste was unusual. it just seems pointless and selfindulgent to me.

What do you mean by selfindulgent?

Some people are picky about music because they are snobs. Some think that because they listen to unusual music they are more sophisticated than others. Is this what you mean?

FYI, I actually like more unusual music. I don't care at all what other people listen to.

I hardly own any music right now. Like many other's here, for a long time I only enjoyed video game music or music from motion picture scores. I now prefer instrumental "post rock" and certain types of ambient/electronic music.

gekitsu
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2007, 3:23 pm

marshall wrote:
FYI, I actually like more unusual music. I don't care at all what other people listen to.

i think he meant that the term "unusual" is measured by what other people listen to. unusual taste is a taste that is deviant from the average.
if i got his point right, he meant that self-proclaiming an unusual taste might sound "ooh, im different!"-affectionate. but we have to keep in mind its an all-aspie club here, so "unusual" can be taken without the connotations, just as what it means: off the norm. over here, this can indeed be just a factual statement.

however, if the quality of unusualness is what makes you like music, you care about what other people listen to. a lot actually. :)

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2007, 3:34 pm

I've listened to unusual stuff, read that MarsVolta was unique, but was disappointed that after two songs, they all sounded alike. If you want to hear something REALLY unusual, check Wiki for Conlan Nancarrow. He composed music for player piano, and I don't mean polkas!! You'll have to download an obscure codec to hear the samples, but hey! check it out.

methinks
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Apr 2007, 4:59 pm

Prof_Pretorius wrote:
I've listened to unusual stuff, read that MarsVolta was unique, but was disappointed that after two songs, they all sounded alike. If you want to hear something REALLY unusual, check Wiki for Conlan Nancarrow. He composed music for player piano, and I don't mean polkas!! You'll have to download an obscure codec to hear the samples, but hey! check it out.

Nancarrow!Good "fun".

And,yes,what exactly is meant by "unusual"?

maldoror
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2007, 5:12 pm

I don't see how saying that you have an unusual taste in music is self indulgent. If it is, then I'm only self indulgent by proxy, since most of my friends have at some point said, "wow, Jeremy, you sure have an unusual taste in music." I got over the 'more obscure is better' mindset back in high school, as I think almost all music fans do. What I listen to is what I listen to.

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2007, 5:31 pm

ExeterChris wrote:
It like synthesiser music.
My favourites are Jean Michel Jarre and Vangelis.

I like a limited amount of pop music, but I prefer insturmental/synths to singing.

I like Jarre a lot, there are several days I play only his great music for almost all day long.

I also like easy instrumental electronic music, not trance, techno. Also like new age music.
I prefer the artistic aspect of music rather than the commercial aspect that most people prefer.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

20 Apr 2007, 5:41 pm

i can listen to anything expet country. with blackmetal being my favorite type of music

Veresae
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2007, 7:39 pm

Alternative wrote:
I like most instrumental stuff.

Songs with no lyrics.

I wish there was an instrumental metal band. :)

There are plenty. Ever heard of Apocalyptica? (They're not ALL instrumentals, but that's one of the things they focus on.) There are also many metal bands that have instrumental songs (such as Metallica's "Call of Ktullu" or however that specific song's spelling of it is).

RedMage
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2007, 8:14 pm

I don't know how people can like 'normal' music...

gybe

20 Apr 2007, 8:21 pm

marshall wrote:
gybe wrote:

What do you mean by selfindulgent?

Some people are picky about music because they are snobs. Some think that because they listen to unusual music they are more sophisticated than others. Is this what you mean?

I hardly own any music right now. Like many other's here, for a long time I only enjoyed video game music or music from motion picture scores. I now prefer instrumental "post rock" and certain types of ambient/electronic music.

another gybe listener.hello.

yeah I guess. my opinion is probably bias because in nz every social trend/scene has their own type of music and they all listen to(I'm sure it happens everywhere) the same bands/artists and think they're musicially elite by listening to interpol ect or whatever stuff is mainsteam but kinda not at the same time.lol.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2007, 10:06 pm

gybe:

I guess “unusual” can be misinterpreted. GYBE is not that obscure, but I would call it unusual because there aren’t many other “rock” bands that play that kind of music. It’s closer to the instrumental music you would hear in a movie or video game score than traditional rock music. I was just wondering if it’s a common aspie/autism trait to like instrumental music that doesn’t have the normal pop “hooks”.

I’ve also been looking online for dissonant ambient stuff but haven’t bought anything. I’ve found stuff like “Lull” and “Northaunt”. I like the atmosphere, but it’s hard to tell from the online samples if it will be too repetitive for me.

Berns
Raven
Raven

21 Apr 2007, 8:51 am

The music in my head is weird enough sometimes.