Do others here have an unusual taste in music?

Page 7 of 8 [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

LegoMaster2149
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2017, 5:39 pm

I usually listen to 70s 80s 90s electronic/70s 80s 90s non electronic music. Some genres from those eras I like are disco, hip hop (old school), acid house, house, techno, breakbeat, electro, drum and bass, funk... I could go on!

Zaarin
Raven
Raven

13 Aug 2017, 9:29 pm

My tastes are eclectic, ranking from 30s/40s/50s jazz (modern jazz is mostly crap) to classical to synth-laden soundtrack, but chiefly I'm into acoustic singer/songwriter, Americana, and indie folk--you know, hipster stuff (though I don't really think of myself as a hipster, despite also drinking expensive coffee...).

--"Galadriel's Song of Eldamar"

JohnnyLurg
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Aug 2017, 5:06 pm

I can't think of any artists I listen to who are any more "unusual" than Captain Beefheart, who a lot of people listen to regardless of neurotype so I'm not special.

Voxish
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Aug 2017, 12:47 pm

Well I am a massive fan of The Fall, Captain Beefheart and Throbbing Gristle...and they don't get more unusual than that lot.

BBC: Radio 4

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2017, 3:41 pm

My taste in music is varied.Varied and unusual are two very different descriptions. I've been getting a lot of crap about the music I enjoy for ages.

-Down, The Birthday Massacre

CJPotter817
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

18 Aug 2017, 4:29 pm

Hello,

I like the string quartets of W.A. Mozart. Especially the darker tones.

will@rd
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2017, 4:37 pm

Annette Hanshaw, 1933:

SnailHail
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Aug 2017, 7:14 pm

JohnnyLurg wrote:
I can't think of any artists I listen to who are any more "unusual" than Captain Beefheart, who a lot of people listen to regardless of neurotype so I'm not special.

lol bands like Captain Beefheart and Neutral Milk Hotel nowadays are minimum requirements for anyone trying to be a hipster or a music elitist.

ManaLDN
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Aug 2017, 5:36 pm

I normally listen to metal or some kind of rock. I'm into Japanese visual kei bands, such as The Gazette, Dir en Grey (Gauze till Uroboros) or SuG. More of it though. The "western" list includes Dragonforce, Avenged Sevenfold, Aria, and Myrath as the bands I listen to most often.

An unusual thing about it is that I do not really like when the entire song is growled, so don't listen to genres such as black metal. But I like electronic music from 80s and 90s, and some popular tunes from 2000s. Mostly Tokio Hotel, but there were also songs of Black Eyed Peas, for example.

Even better - I listen to a lot of contemporary Bollywood songs. There are YouTube playlists filled with them and I just play that to listen. Not sure about the composers, but I'm afraid it's become easier for me to recognise a Bollywood actor than a Hollywood one.

Is there anyone else who likes some Indian music? Quote or PM please

will@rd
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2017, 6:24 pm

Kate Bush, Get Out of My House, from the lp 'The Dreaming,' 1982.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

26 Oct 2017, 4:24 am

I like a variety of music that includes Comedy, EMO & Celtic. Other stuff I like is more popular like pop, classic rock, glam rock, soft rock, punk, country, & contemporary R&B

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

GoSensGo
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

31 Oct 2017, 8:48 am

I don't think I have an unusual taste in music, I think I just cast a broader net and enjoy more things. I can listen to pop songs and classic rock on the radio and enjoy them, but I've also always been attracted to musicians who are strange or are coming up with different sounds. I loved Frank Zappa's music since I was a teenager. I also get a lot of enjoyment from discovering old musical relics that are relatively unknown. One of my favorite albums is Doris - Did you Give the World Some Love Today, which is so eclectic in it's scope and tone.

But there are so many people who only enjoy "their thing". I grew up with metal heads who would only listen to heavy metal, and it had to be pre-1995. Then you have music snobs who listen to classical and music with "deep", "poignant" lyrics, and would never sully themselves by admitting they enjoy a catchy pop song.

I think it's much more fun to just get rid of your biases and enjoy as many forms of music as possible!

Last edited by GoSensGo on 31 Oct 2017, 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kiki1256
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2017, 8:50 am

I'm unusual in the sense that I go by how songs sound, rather than popularity. That's why I listen to songs from before 1970 and current music--I don't care when a song is from as long as it has that rock sound.

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2017, 6:41 pm

Kiki1256 wrote:
I'm unusual in the sense that I go by how songs sound, rather than popularity. That's why I listen to songs from before 1970 and current music--I don't care when a song is from as long as it has that rock sound.

In a lot of circles I don't think that that is unusual. Most people I have known don't listen to music because it is popular.

IsthmusWithTrolleybuses
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Nov 2017, 6:32 am

Most things I like are hard to get your hands on these days—or at least decent masterings are. So I guess more and more stuff would be considered unusual. Most of it's from either the '70s/'80s (the sort of thing not suited to the commercial radio stations of the time, nor now), or a handful of indie acts from the last few years (a.P.A.t.T., Major Parkinson, Pleasure Complex). Generally art-rock/punky/proggy leanings.

MariaTheFictionkin
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2017, 10:46 pm

Hmmm...

I like a whole bunch of genera of music but my favorites are Industrial Metal (Turmion Kätilöt! <333) and Crunk Core (Brokencyde, Hollywood Undead etc.) and I've actually begun to like rap quite a bit now. I'm not too keen on all the different genera of music there is out there so I probably like more than I think.

I also like a lot of chiptune music as well. And perhaps a bit of electropunk because of Mindless Self Indulgence. I also really liked the band, Lordi, back when I was younger. Listening to music from them now brings back so much nostalgia memories. Is this an unusual taste in music? Maybe, I don't know. I don't really keep track of what most listen today.