Post your unpopular music-related opinions here

Page 25 of 29 [ 454 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29  Next

SnailHail
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Nov 2016, 8:04 pm

Outrider wrote:

For men I consider it that whiny, nasally, heavily autotuned tenor voice that stabs your ears like icepicks.

Or the calmer, country/folkish sounding one.

Or (c)Rappers aka the awful sounding mainsream rappers who scream, whine or simply talk without even making an attempt to rap properly. E.g. Fetty Wap, Lil Wayne, Chris Brown, Drake and his drunken slurry drawl, etc.

That or just plain 'Party Rocker' type trash ironically pioneered by LMFAO themselves.

It seems modern pop has no room anymore for bass or baritone pitched men.

I cringe everytime I listen to a male pop singer and it's always a high pitched sounding guy.

The men have a homogonous sound, in both voice and musical composition.

Charlie Puth, Shawn Mendes, JB, etc. are the whiny tenors with complete generic trash.

Ed Sheeran, Jamie Lawson, Passenger, James Bay, The Lumineers, etc. have the folk sound going on. They're actually pretty good at times, and this category varies from boring/not so good to actually quite beautiful.

This isn't to say all pop is bad.

The women also do sound generic. Almost all female singers sound the same to me nowadays except for the rare exceptions like Lorde.

Otherwise it seems almost every black female singer sounds like Rihanna.

Two girl groups, Fifth Harmony and Little Mix are difficult to tell apart.

- Anyway...the CHAINSMOKERS SUCK.

Yes, those are the guys the made Selfie, but at a rapid rate they keep releasing cheesy pop hits like Roses and Closer.

Many seem to think Selfie was bad but now they've 'evolved'.

Nope.

Closer is a rubbish song.

Cheesy, simplistic lyrics with the most awkward chance at throwing in a cultural reference (Blink 182) I've ever seen.

That obnoxious kazoo sound as the chorus. Ugh.

- One Direction aren't the worst boy band of all time.

I have a challenger to the title: the lesser known and now broken up Allstar Weekend!

Who the heck even is that rapper? I'm not sure if he's even in the band yet there's no "feat. X" in the title.

Geez.

At least One Direction have one slightly okay song (Midnight Memories) these 'Allstar' guys just don't.

I strongly agree with everything you wrote, everyone sounds the same nowadays, if I were to listen to all their songs for the first time and not be told who is the vocalist I'd assume it would the same person. Corporatism is real strong in today's pop music so artist are often discourage from sounding too different.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2016, 9:02 pm

Outrider wrote:
Closer is a rubbish song.

As long as you don't mean the (infamous) Nine Inch Nails song, we're good. ;)

Although it does annoy me how people take "Closer" out of context all because of the "I wanna f**k you like an animal" line in its chorus. It's not a mere dumb lust song, it's about how the main character of The Downward Spiral uses sex as an escape, and how he feels he needs it in order not to feel worthless or empty inside. It's about self-pity, escapism , and self-fulfillment. It's simple, but deep. It's not "I want sex" but "I want sex because I am a tortured individual who needs an escape and wants to feel something".

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2016, 10:59 pm

Electronic music gives me a headache.

I don't like the Rolling Stones or Bob Dylan, either. I can't resist singing along with the one line from Dylan's "Like a Rolling Stone,"

"Carrying on his shoulder a SIAMESE CAT!"

Amebix
Toucan
Toucan

08 Dec 2016, 11:25 pm

The Beatles were a singles band, The Rolling Stones were an album band.
What I mean by this is, every Beatles album is uneven. But every one of them has some really amazing songs, even if they're mixed in with weak ones. The Stones, on the other hand, obviously have some fantastic classic songs, but I would say they have far fewer than The Beatles. That said, The Rolling Stones have way more consistent albums, where you don't want to miss a single track. I would also say Stones albums follow themes more successfully, making the songs stronger when heard together with the other songs on the album/of the theme. If I had to pick out favorite songs from each band, I'd probably pick out way more Beatles songs than Stones ones. But if I have to listen to an album straight through, I'd pick the Stones over the Beatles in a heartbeat. For one thing, the Beatles never did an album I enjoy nearly as much as Let It Bleed.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2016, 11:05 am

Both The Beatles and the Rolling Stones albums have far more interesting songs than the albums done by anyone today. Most bands have albums with one recognizable hit song, while the rest is boring. I have heard albums where literally (and I mean it literally) every song sounds the same. Yawn!

Amebix
Toucan
Toucan

10 Dec 2016, 11:34 am

IstominFan wrote:
Both The Beatles and the Rolling Stones albums have far more interesting songs than the albums done by anyone today. Most bands have albums with one recognizable hit song, while the rest is boring. I have heard albums where literally (and I mean it literally) every song sounds the same. Yawn!

I know this is the unpopular opinions thread, so please don't take this as a criticism. You're definitely right about most mainstream bands, because that's basically how the pop market operates: an "artist" releases one or two hit songs, then fills the rest up with fluff. And the mainstream is awful, even mainstream rock music. But the thing is, the mainstream is less relevant now than it's ever been because of the internet. I literally have no idea what's going on in the mainstream, because I can just isolate myself from all that and only pay attention to the underground genres I'm interested in, since my underground music of preference is so easily accessible now. I think a lot of middle aged people who didn't grow up with the internet are still not used to this process, so they're probably more exposed to pop music than, say, I am, and if that's what you think today's music is like, of course you'll think music has gotten worse.

I'm not going to actually disagree with you on the Beatles and Stones because they're two of the greatest bands of all time, but I do disagree with the general notion that music has gotten any worse. For one thing, now making music is so accessible to everyone that there's endless crap out there, but there's also an endless supply of amazing stuff going on.

Since you're focusing on the Beatles and Stones, here's a psychedelic recommendation. This band's really young, but ridiculously musically gifted:

And for a raw rock sound:

Maybe listen to the second song first - it's stronger

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2016, 5:08 am

I think popular music has always been crap, but the reason why people have such fond memories of music from previous eras is because they focus on the good stuff while ignoring the bad.

Amebix
Toucan
Toucan

11 Dec 2016, 9:21 am

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
I think popular music has always been crap, but the reason why people have such fond memories of music from previous eras is because they focus on the good stuff while ignoring the bad.

Oh my God yes, this x1000.
If you ever want to perform an interesting exercise, look up the popular stuff that was topping the charts back in the 60s and 70s. Most of it is horrendous stuff you've never heard of, and rightfully so.

Skibz888
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2016, 12:35 pm

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

Agreed. And likewise, they're hostile towards today's music because they focus on the crap while ignoring the good stuff.

muffinhead
Toucan
Toucan

12 Dec 2016, 1:12 am

Music today is more a commodity than it ever has been. Radio has lost relevance as a medium to introduce listeners to groundbreaking music. Bands are a thing of the past. People make songs, not albums.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2016, 10:57 am

It has always been a commodity and has been always criticized for being all hype

I think all the autotune vocals is a bunch of crap used to cover up lack of talent, which is exactly what they said about disco and synthpop decades ago.

What it is, is us being old and out of touch, just as with previous generations

And a lot of the popular songs have always been crap

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2016, 10:08 pm

IstominFan wrote:

'anyone' today?...Are you sure you aren't more referring to pop music and what makes it onto the radio? I listen to a lot of music made by currently active bands and it certainly doesn't sound all the same....and there is plenty just as interesting as those two bands.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2016, 10:19 pm

muffinhead wrote:
Music today is more a commodity than it ever has been. Radio has lost relevance as a medium to introduce listeners to groundbreaking music. Bands are a thing of the past. People make songs, not albums.

I listen to quite a few bands that have made albums and continue making them.

The radio isn't the only place to get music, there are independent record stores with good music and there are things like spotify and amazon music....none of the music I like is on the radio.

muffinhead
Toucan
Toucan

12 Dec 2016, 11:23 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
muffinhead wrote:

I listen to quite a few bands that have made albums and continue making them.

The radio isn't the only place to get music, there are independent record stores with good music and there are things like spotify and amazon music....none of the music I like is on the radio.

I'm speaking broadly of the music scene today. And by "bands are a thing of the past" I was saying that massively popular acts today are overwhelmingly solo artists. It's less about a group of people each contributing and rather about a single talent.

Lunella
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2016, 11:29 pm

^ Maybe for the mainstream music but certain genres simply don't have that and are still going strong.

deafghost52
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Dec 2016, 10:03 am

Amebix wrote:
The Rolling Stones were an album band.
What I mean by this is, ... [t]he Rolling Stones have way more consistent albums, where you don't want to miss a single track. I would also say Stones albums follow themes more successfully, making the songs stronger when heard together with the other songs on the album/of the theme.

Man, if you like album bands, you gotta check out Dream Theater. Awake was an album that held themes throughout quite consistently (even motivic phrases) without making it grow old*. I don't know if you're into metal, but I highly recommend them.

*Some good examples are the "Caught in a Web" chorus which makes a return in "Erotomania," and the "Space Dye Vest" chorus which makes a preemptive appearance in "The Mirror." :mrgreen:

-- Claude Debussy