Post your unpopular music-related opinions here

Page 22 of 29 [ 454 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 29  Next

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2016, 3:58 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
thewrll wrote:
If Harsh noise is pretentious then every single other type of music is pretentious.

To be fair, when music isn't pretentious it ends up like Lil Wayne or prefab pop BS. Maybe 'being pretentious' isn't as bad of thing as we're all implying.

Yeah. It just riles me when someone attacks something I adore and tries to degrade it.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2016, 4:19 pm

thewrll wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
thewrll wrote:
If Harsh noise is pretentious then every single other type of music is pretentious.

To be fair, when music isn't pretentious it ends up like Lil Wayne or prefab pop BS. Maybe 'being pretentious' isn't as bad of thing as we're all implying.

Yeah. It just riles me when someone attacks something I adore and tries to degrade it.

Maybe a 'tell everyone how badly what they like sucks' themed thread isn't for you. Unpopular opinions are often critical of things others adore. You have my empathy, but not my sympathy.

The more coleslaw explains where he's coming from the less of a dick he comes off as. This is rare, most people tend to sound worse the longer they speak.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

kristallen
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 Jul 2016, 9:49 pm

untz untz untz (please repeat)

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2016, 11:06 pm

This may be an unpopular opinion thread, but it's still OK to discuss what you think of other people's opinions.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2016, 12:26 pm

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
This may be an unpopular opinion thread, but it's still OK to discuss what you think of other people's opinions.

Complaining that someone's opinion hurts your feelings isn't expressing what you think of their opinion though. :wink:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2016, 1:08 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

Complaining that someone's opinion hurts your feelings isn't expressing what you think of their opinion though. :wink:

Plus if there where any particularly mean-hearted trolls, they'll know what to do to get under that persons skin, you don't want that. I don't think I've seen any trolls like that in this thread...but you never know if they're lurking or not.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2016, 1:51 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

I'm the OP, and I think civil discussion is OK. Needlessly getting under other people's skin isn't, however.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2016, 2:24 pm

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

I'm the OP, and I think civil discussion is OK. Needlessly getting under other people's skin isn't, however.

That opinion makes me unhappy.

(See, now there's no room for civil discussion beyond you responding 'okay, that's nice to know' because I haven't offered any criticism of what you said, just complained it hurts my tender feels. How you feel about an opinion and why you disagree aren't the same.)

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2016, 5:16 pm

I was complaining about someone deriding a whole subgenre. I find it hard to believe that someone who hasn't really explored a genre can bash it. Explore noise and then come back and attack it.

Cyreides
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 Jul 2016, 5:35 pm

I think the perceived quality of music (and all entertainment for that matter) is entirely subjective and based on ones own feelings at any given moment, personal experiences, personal likes/dislikes etc. and there is no inherent value to any of it that would place one song/album/artist/genre above another.

Last edited by Cyreides on 27 Jul 2016, 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2016, 5:55 pm

thewrll wrote:
I was complaining about someone deriding a whole subgenre. I find it hard to believe that someone who hasn't really explored a genre can bash it. Explore noise and then come back and attack it.

I agree with this, and was onside when you were arguing that it's a valid form of sonic art. Comments like this, where you express an idea and not just a feeling lead to constructive discussions; there's room for discussion because it isn't just 'I feel this way', which no one can dispute with without invalidating your genuinely felt emotions.

Dismissing a type of music without going beyond how one feels about it doesn't invite further discussion, but it can be demanded. 'Okay, why do you hate chap-hop?'
Dismissing someone's thoughts on the basis of how you feel about them doesn't invite further discussion either.

And now that I've said that spiel, please call me out if I ever do it.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2016, 6:07 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
thewrll wrote:

I agree with this, and was onside when you were arguing that it's a valid form of sonic art. Comments like this, where you express an idea and not just a feeling lead to constructive discussions; there's room for discussion because it isn't just 'I feel this way', which no one can dispute with without invalidating your genuinely felt emotions.

Dismissing a type of music without going beyond how one feels about it doesn't invite further discussion, but it can be demanded. 'Okay, why do you hate chap-hop?'
Dismissing someone's thoughts on the basis of how you feel about them doesn't invite further discussion either.

And now that I've said that spiel, please call me out if I ever do it.

Is Chap Hop real?

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2016, 7:01 pm

If someone likes or dislikes a genre of music, that's their opinion. If someone thinks a certain genre is s**t, that's their opinion too. I hate having to argue semantics, but there are people here missing the point of what this thread's about. I like hearing people's opinions on things, and I like to hear why people may or may not agree with those opinions.

Now, if I had the opportunity, I would change the title of this thread to "Post (and discuss) your unpopular music-related opinions here", but of course it won't let me. :roll:

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2016, 7:17 pm

Telling people what genre of music to listen to is wrong.

Outrider
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2016, 6:02 am

I'm surprised I kickstarted a big debate on harsh noise.

For the record, I've personally given a bit of it a chance, but it's not my thing.

As I said much earlier in this thread in my debate against some heavy metal music sounding extremely distorted, rough, abrasive, screechy and harsh, and stating that I prefer metal that sounds clean, crisp and clear (or 'pop'/mainstream/'plastic'), harsh noise evokes the same feeling.

Ironically, I listen to plenty of electronic, including Dubstep which is known to have a harsh sound.

But well-produced Dubstep, while still quite screechy and harsh, is far more tolerable than harsh noise of some extremely distorted forms of metal for my ears. But even Dubstep can give me a headache if I'm not in the right mindset to listen to it.

Just personal taste, nothing more. Doesn't mean crisp and clean is better than rough and harsh, and vice-versa.

I simply cannot listen to music that hurts my ears and head. I've always preferred 'clean' sounding music.

kristallen wrote:
Psytrance is the worst music (sub)genre ever.

As a big fan of Uplifting Trance, I agree. Not the worst genre ever for me, but certainly quite high on the list.

PsyTrance just never clicked with me and I don't understand why it has such a large following.

It's boring and too robotic (with many of the sounds actually having machine/robot type sounding noises), repetitive and obnoxious at best, and just plain awful at worst. It doesn't have very much emotion or heart. Comparing it to uplifting may be unfair, but even other sub-genres of trance like Prog., Tech or Classic '90s trance have far more emotion.

Modern 'Psytrance' in particular is pretty much the Trance version of Dubstep/Big Room House - mainstream, watered down, harsh, simplistic, ugly.

Just look at all the disgraceful 'trance' songs in the Beatport.com top 100 for trance and you can see evidence of this.

Here's the worst Psytrance-ish song I have ever heard in my life (warning: It's absolutely awful and over-compressed):

This was #1 on the websites top 100 at one point, and still is on the chart around 50. :x

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2016, 1:03 pm

thewrll wrote:
Is Chap Hop real?

No, Professor Elemental and Mr. B only exist in our very best dreams. Image

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iRTB-FTMdk

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う