Post your unpopular music-related opinions here

Page 23 of 29 [ 454 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 29  Next

rats_and_cats
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2016, 1:07 pm

I actually like country music, but lately it's been getting very repetitive.

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2016, 6:31 pm

Outrider wrote:
I'm surprised I kickstarted a big debate on harsh noise.

For the record, I've personally given a bit of it a chance, but it's not my thing.

As I said much earlier in this thread in my debate against some heavy metal music sounding extremely distorted, rough, abrasive, screechy and harsh, and stating that I prefer metal that sounds clean, crisp and clear (or 'pop'/mainstream/'plastic'), harsh noise evokes the same feeling.

Ironically, I listen to plenty of electronic, including Dubstep which is known to have a harsh sound.

But well-produced Dubstep, while still quite screechy and harsh, is far more tolerable than harsh noise of some extremely distorted forms of metal for my ears. But even Dubstep can give me a headache if I'm not in the right mindset to listen to it.

Just personal taste, nothing more. Doesn't mean crisp and clean is better than rough and harsh, and vice-versa.

I simply cannot listen to music that hurts my ears and head. I've always preferred 'clean' sounding music.

kristallen wrote:
Psytrance is the worst music (sub)genre ever.

As a big fan of Uplifting Trance, I agree. Not the worst genre ever for me, but certainly quite high on the list.

PsyTrance just never clicked with me and I don't understand why it has such a large following.

It's boring and too robotic (with many of the sounds actually having machine/robot type sounding noises), repetitive and obnoxious at best, and just plain awful at worst. It doesn't have very much emotion or heart. Comparing it to uplifting may be unfair, but even other sub-genres of trance like Prog., Tech or Classic '90s trance have far more emotion.

Modern 'Psytrance' in particular is pretty much the Trance version of Dubstep/Big Room House - mainstream, watered down, harsh, simplistic, ugly.

Just look at all the disgraceful 'trance' songs in the Beatport.com top 100 for trance and you can see evidence of this.

Here's the worst Psytrance-ish song I have ever heard in my life (warning: It's absolutely awful and over-compressed):

This was #1 on the websites top 100 at one point, and still is on the chart around 50. :x

I disagree with Psytrance. It has it's just ok tracks but it also has incredible tracks when it mixes samples and music incredibly well.

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2016, 6:32 pm

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
If someone likes or dislikes a genre of music, that's their opinion. If someone thinks a certain genre is s**t, that's their opinion too. I hate having to argue semantics, but there are people here missing the point of what this thread's about. I like hearing people's opinions on things, and I like to hear why people may or may not agree with those opinions.

Now, if I had the opportunity, I would change the title of this thread to "Post (and discuss) your unpopular music-related opinions here", but of course it won't let me. :roll:

Yeah and I can disagree.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2016, 8:54 pm

Outrider wrote:
Here's the worst Psytrance-ish song I have ever heard in my life (warning: It's absolutely awful and over-compressed):

This was #1 on the websites top 100 at one point, and still is on the chart around 50. :x

I think it's alright, nothing special, really. I've heard better trance music before, but I would take it over most of the idiotic brostep trash out there. That breakdown with the high pitched sounds is kind of annoying though.

gamefreak89
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Aug 2016, 1:01 am

Peter Gabriel is overrated and Phil Collins isn't all that bad. Songs such as "In the Air Tonight" make up for the banal garbage he put out later on. Besides is "So" really that great of an album, just because its overplayed does not make it good. Just take a look half the music being shoved down our throat as we speak. (Bieber and Swift just to name a few)

Enya is actually pretty good, I feel the musical elite write-off her music due to a strong bias against New Age music in general. That or any type of music non-hip middle-aged people like.

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2016, 1:41 am

gamefreak89 wrote:
Peter Gabriel is overrated and Phil Collins isn't all that bad. Songs such as "In the Air Tonight" make up for the banal garbage he put out later on. Besides is "So" really that great of an album, just because its overplayed does not make it good. Just take a look half the music being shoved down our throat as we speak. (Bieber and Swift just to name a few)

Enya is actually pretty good, I feel the musical elite write-off her music due to a strong bias against New Age music in general. That or any type of music non-hip middle-aged people like.

I haven't heard much hate aimed at Enya.

gamefreak89
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Aug 2016, 1:55 am

thewrll wrote:
gamefreak89 wrote:

I haven't heard much hate aimed at Enya.

Maybe not hate, however people I deal with tend to complain how her music is boring and tends to put them to sleep. Musically journalists on the other hand tend not to like Enya because her music isn't innovative enough/ all sounds the same. I for one do not feel that way, any song will sound similar to another song by that artist if your not familiar with their music. Its when you listen to an album multiple times (and not just listen but actively listen) will you tell the difference between songs.

Thats like me saying a lot of New Order songs sound the same just because of the distinctive way Peter Hook plays his bass.

kristallen
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

04 Aug 2016, 6:48 am

Outrider wrote:
It doesn't have very much emotion or heart.

Nope. It's just dead in my ears/head.

Outrider wrote:

Ouch.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2016, 7:46 am

I found this to be interesting, however the part near the end about loudness equalization seems to run counter to everything that was said before. I've heard songs and albums that rely on dramatic shifts in loudness, and if it's meant to be a part of the listening experience, then I want to preserve it. This is why I don't use ReplayGain or similar technologies; it's basically just another form of dynamics compression.

That said, I think it would be great if more audio systems had compressors built in, so that you could adjust the amount of compression for different listening environments. For instance, if I'm watching a movie late at night and I want to be able to hear the dialogue, but I don't want to wake the neighbors whenever there's an explosion, a compressor would be really useful to have.

Outrider
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2016, 3:35 am

Musical processing is not always a bad thing.

For some genres, it is absolutely necessary to achieve the sound, especially in Electronic, unless you're specifically going for a retro sound.

Autotune is not bad at all and should most definitely be used very slightly and subtly to enhance already good existing voices.

Of course, it should not be abused to make-up for a lack of singing talent.

Compression in music is not always a bad thing when used properly.

The loudness wars certainly has ruined the quality of sound, making everything sound flat and distorted by pushing the loudness over 0.0dB.

But, using compression in music in itself is not a bad thing, it is just more often than not abused.

I've heard plenty of electronic songs that still retain decent dynamics (6-10 on the dynamic range meter) and have been compressed to about -3 dB (the minimum most music selling websites like Itunes and what the radio requires).

Their production is crisp and clear, and the sound aren't distorted or abrasive to the ears.

If we're going to have musical processing, this is the way it should be done.

akuakuaku
Butterfly
Butterfly

16 Sep 2016, 1:43 am

Death Grips are one of the only good hip-hop/rap groups

Guns n Roses are one of the most overrated bands ever

Glam Metal is terrible

Most EDM i've heard is boring and repetitive

EDM that is supposed to sound "uplifting" and has melodic female vocals is really cheesy

Most Japanese idol groups are terrible

K-pop is also terrible

American death metal > European death metal

Deafheaven are better than pretty much any European black metal band

Lordes "Pure Heroin" album is one of the best pop albums ever

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2016, 4:49 am

akuakuaku wrote:
Death Grips are one of the only good hip-hop/rap groups

Guns n Roses are one of the most overrated bands ever

Glam Metal is terrible

Most EDM i've heard is boring and repetitive

EDM that is supposed to sound "uplifting" and has melodic female vocals is really cheesy

Most Japanese idol groups are terrible

K-pop is also terrible

American death metal > European death metal

Deafheaven are better than pretty much any European black metal band

Lordes "Pure Heroin" album is one of the best pop albums ever

I wouldn't really call those unpopular opinions. ;)

You know what is unpopular though? Power electronics.

SnailHail
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Sep 2016, 12:54 pm

You all have nearly complete fecal matter taste in music except for Outrider 8) Just kidding :lol: (kinda)

My real unpopular opinion: The best songs and artist usually are not mainstream or popular, the less people that listen to them the better they usually are.

SnailHail
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Sep 2016, 12:56 pm

cthulhuhead wrote:
AnonymousAnonymous wrote:
I hate rap music. It'll never change because its subjects will always be: drugs, money, cars, and sex.

Agreed. I cannot wrap my head around how so many of my peers find it to be enjoyable. It's a deal-breaker if a friend likes rap, hip-hop, pop, or that absurd dubstep that seems to be a trend.

How do you guys feel about this rap song?

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2016, 1:45 pm

If you out of hand dismiss the validity of hip-hop as a form of music, we can't be friends. More importantly, you've also rendered any additional musical opinions you might express utterly worthless. Image

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2016, 8:01 pm

Cheesy as it may be, this song helped me open my mind somewhat to hip hop. It's still not my favorite genre, but when Nine Inch Nails does it, it's actually kinda cool.