Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2016, 12:25 am

Hey just because I'm a metalhead doesn't mean all I listen to is death metal :(

Yet I have gotten this comment multiple times like I'll hate something if it's not death metal. I guess my brother has to...lol it's just hard not to kind of laugh at that considering some of the stuff outside of metal we listen to. I mean sure we listen to more extreme metal and all that but we also appreciate things like:

I mean technically death metal is probably the form of metal I listen to least.

Not sure the purpose of this...I guess do any of you get people assuming you wont like some music because you're typical preference.

W91T
Toucan
Toucan

11 Jul 2016, 2:59 pm

Before, people were surprised when I told them that I listened to metal and rock music because I was very quiet and shy. I have no idea what they thought I listened to though. I can actually like any kind of music. But because of that I don't know much about the different genres. As long as I think it sounds good I listen to it.

n3uRo
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Jul 2016, 7:55 pm

Before I had long hair people were really surprised when I wore a Marilyn Manson shirt to school. But, now that my hair is longer and gets in my eyes a lot people assume I'm emo and I like screamo, when what I actually listen to is like Nirvana, Nine Inch Nails, Megadeth, and Tool.

ShesGone
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Jul 2016, 8:33 pm

Yeah, sweetleaf, I hear you. Obviously, what we're listening to is none of nobody's business.

Katatonic
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2016, 10:11 am

I'm known as the Death Metal guy around town and work.....but I also listen to other things like Tears For Fears, Phil Collins, Rod Stewart, Stevie Wonder, Boards of Canada, Thundercat, Otis Redding, Django Reinhardt, Red House Painters/Sun Kil Moon, and other things.. Its always fun to see peoples reactions to the other things I listen to. I probably listen more these days to Post Rock/Metal and stuff like BoC than I do Death Metal. But some times I just need that chainsaw buzz of Entombed or Dismember to get me thru the day :D

Muziek
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Jul 2016, 6:22 pm

For me, it is the opposite. People are supprised that I listen occassionally to death metal -- eg Entombed and Death --or metal in general.

Chummy
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2016, 7:02 pm

The final countdown- epic song.

Personally I don't like metal and am a musician but have friends who play in professional metal bands and honestly taste in music doesn't have to do with choosing friends for me. I was never in a metal concert and don't like the fashion/subculture revolving around the music but firstly it's most important to be a good person. BTW there are alot of wrong stereotypes around metal (and other music genres)... Metal concerts are not violent, yes they're loud that's the whole point but it's not a fist fight extravaganza.

I was wayyyyy ashamed of my taste of music. Because I like oldies (60s-90s and especially 80s synthpop and rock) and not Rihanna or Biber or whatever's on the radio right now.... which is weird because young people are supposed to love those boy bands (one direction or something) and stuff. But now I don't give a rat about it because I'm not in high school and I am not a subject of that peer pressure.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2016, 7:35 pm

Chummy wrote:

Personally I don't like metal and am a musician but have friends who play in professional metal bands and honestly taste in music doesn't have to do with choosing friends for me. I was never in a metal concert and don't like the fashion/subculture revolving around the music but firstly it's most important to be a good person. BTW there are alot of wrong stereotypes around metal (and other music genres)... Metal concerts are not violent, yes they're loud that's the whole point but it's not a fist fight extravaganza.

I was wayyyyy ashamed of my taste of music. Because I like oldies (60s-90s and especially 80s synthpop and rock) and not Rihanna or Biber or whatever's on the radio right now.... which is weird because young people are supposed to love those boy bands (one direction or something) and stuff. But now I don't give a rat about it because I'm not in high school and I am not a subject of that peer pressure.

I like a lot of older music to....and I certainly have friends who aren't into metal, I have a wide range of things I listen to outside of metal or will enjoy listening to if someone else puts it on. But sometimes people assume if it's not metal and brutal I wont like it just because they know I like metal, but they couldn't be more wrong. Granted I like hanging around people who do like metal because it's fun to enjoy it with people but I enjoy lots of other stuff to.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2016, 1:29 pm

n3uRo wrote:
Before I had long hair people were really surprised when I wore a Marilyn Manson shirt to school. But, now that my hair is longer and gets in my eyes a lot people assume I'm emo and I like screamo, when what I actually listen to is like Nirvana, Nine Inch Nails, Megadeth, and Tool.

By ignoramus standards 'emo' and 'goth' are labels to refer to people who listen to 'screamo metal' which refers to any sort of hard rock more aggressive than Blink 182. They don't need to understand that hardcore/metal/screamo/goth aren't any anyway synonymous, they don't need to understand that the fanbases associated with different genres of aggressive music have their own distinct subcultures that are often apathetic or even outright hostile towards each other. All they know is 'scary dudes who listen to scary s**t' - who cares that VNV Nation, Job For A Cowboy, and Pig Destroyer sound nothing a like.

Just because people have no understanding of what a label means doesn't mean they won't attempt to apply it.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2016, 9:40 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
n3uRo wrote:

By ignoramus standards 'emo' and 'goth' are labels to refer to people who listen to 'screamo metal' which refers to any sort of hard rock more aggressive than Blink 182. They don't need to understand that hardcore/metal/screamo/goth aren't any anyway synonymous, they don't need to understand that the fanbases associated with different genres of aggressive music have their own distinct subcultures that are often apathetic or even outright hostile towards each other. All they know is 'scary dudes who listen to scary s**t' - who cares that VNV Nation, Job For A Cowboy, and Pig Destroyer sound nothing a like.

Just because people have no understanding of what a label means doesn't mean they won't attempt to apply it.

That is certainly true...I remember getting called goth back in highschool even though I didn't even know what goth music was at that point but at that time I guess wearing black and dark colors a lot meant you must be goth :roll:. I didn't really identify with any specific sub-culture/group till I got into metal.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2016, 2:35 am

Chummy wrote:

Personally I don't like metal

But the Final Countdown IS metal...

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2016, 4:30 pm

Ganondox wrote:
Chummy wrote:

Personally I don't like metal

But the Final Countdown IS metal...

Not death metal or extreme metal though, people tend to also be surprised when they find I also listen to a bit of hair/glam metal.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2016, 5:01 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
That is certainly true...I remember getting called goth back in highschool even though I didn't even know what goth music was at that point but at that time I guess wearing black and dark colors a lot meant you must be goth :roll:. I didn't really identify with any specific sub-culture/group till I got into metal.

Getting called 'goth' all the time played a big role in getting me to discover bands like Bauhaus, The Cure and Joy Division. Finding Sykospark.net lead to me being exposed to some industrial beyond NIN, Filter and Marilyn Manson. That stuff was good for getting me to expand my tastes away from just metal all the time.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

CheeseSlice
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Jul 2016, 5:08 pm

I know right, like when I say " I like metal." people immediately think of stuff where all they do is scream.

Love the song by the way.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2016, 5:14 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

Getting called 'goth' all the time played a big role in getting me to discover bands like Bauhaus, The Cure and Joy Division. Finding Sykospark.net lead to me being exposed to some industrial beyond NIN, Filter and Marilyn Manson. That stuff was good for getting me to expand my tastes away from just metal all the time.

Yeah I've really only started listening to more goth and post punk within the past couple of years, Joy Division was what really struck my interest. I also like that industrial/electronic music with harsh vocals but not sure the specific genre name for that, but I certainly do like it.