Any Trip Hop and other related genre fans? Please Share!

Page 4 of 16 [ 241 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 16  Next

Nights_Like_These
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2016, 12:47 am

This one's cool too:

--Aldous Huxley

SnailHail
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Dec 2016, 8:25 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
SnailHail wrote:
I've gotten around to listening to several Sevdeliza songs a few days ago and decided, I think she is alright, although her style seems a bit creepy 8O .

She seems like she's on that sort of David Lynch / Jungian kick with her stuff and she waxed a bit philosophical about the Human video being a parody on how we once had God watching us and now we supplement that with other people.

It's also a trip to see that she's a pro athlete as well; Dutch national basketball team. Shaq's albums clearly sounded nothing like her stuff.

That's cool at least she has a steady income to fund her music career if it doesn't get too big.

My favorite song from her so far is That Other Girl

That Damaged Girl is suppose to be a more upbeat version, I really want to like it but the A$AP Ferg parts ruin it for me.

Nights_Like_These
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2016, 4:47 am

--Aldous Huxley

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2016, 1:47 pm

Another thing, I know I'm breaking script here but Submotion Orchestra is mad hot. This is an oldie; Fragments, 1969, Alium, and Colour Theory are real good too. They're more jazz than dubstep so:

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Nights_Like_These
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2016, 5:13 pm

Since you started this thread, I've been pretty much exclusively listening to this kind of music. lol There's just so much good stuff out there. 10 years ago I would have never listened to these styles so much (even in the 90s when trip-hop was becoming well known I didn't really listen to it a lot). It's amazing how much one's musical tastes can change over the years!

--Aldous Huxley

SnailHail
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Dec 2016, 7:47 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
Another thing, I know I'm breaking script here but Submotion Orchestra is mad hot. This is an oldie; Fragments, 1969, Alium, and Colour Theory are real good too. They're more jazz than dubstep so:

Submotion Orchestra stills falls under some of the related genres I listed and their music is great and certainly has the feel of some trip hop elements! I just listened to the Fragments album and I'm now in love with group. I'm thinking about posting some Trip Rock songs soon to try and break the comfort of only sharing pure trip hop since it almost kept you from sharing a great group like that.

Nights_Like_These wrote:
Since you started this thread, I've been pretty much exclusively listening to this kind of music. lol There's just so much good stuff out there. 10 years ago I would have never listened to these styles so much (even in the 90s when trip-hop was becoming well known I didn't really listen to it a lot). It's amazing how much one's musical tastes can change over the years!

When I first listened to trip hop I thought it was boring ambient music with some hip hop style drum beats. I didn't even like Archive's Londinium album at first but after actually listening to it with some decent headphones and volume turned up, paying attention to all the sounds I realized how much of a trip hop song I didn't hear and how amazing it was. The same songs I thought were boring now sounded like the best thing ever. I was only listening to the loudest ambient sound and drum beats on poor quality headphones and speakers. I probably would of never became a trip hop fanatic if I didn't give it a second chance and got to listen to it on decent speakers. As a byproduct it also got me into hip hop since the only hip hop I thought of was mainstream rap hip hop which I despise.

SnailHail
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Dec 2016, 7:52 pm

One of my top 5 favorite Unkle songs. I think this is a mix of alternative rock, trip hop, and electronica.

Quiet Time is truly an amazing song from Archive. They need to make another album with Rosko John in it. I can't really make out what is being said at the end of the song other than maybe "freedom fall, I'll never" and no lyrics site has it but it just sounds so awesome.

I'm probably going to unload more Archive and Unkle on you guys in the future.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2016, 7:57 pm

I like those genres, though I haven't listened to it in a while.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2016, 11:01 am

Neat tune and I really like the way the video was done; nothing says getting wracked to the core like a good dose of dissociation.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

SnailHail
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Dec 2016, 2:06 am

Nice share now that I'm on break I'm going to chill to some trip hop albums

My class had a small christmas party, just giving gifts to our teacher, eating donuts, and listening to music. Everyone was taking turns playing music, when it became my turn the first time I decided to play a recent Massive Attack song. Everyone was pretty much saying "WTF is this?" and "Are you a hipster?". And now I'm bit sad at the possibility of trip hop not getting another golden era any decade soon if this how my generation sees one of the biggest trip hop artist ever. I even tried playing some trip hop that has rap and they didn't like it either.

Speaking of the holidays I just discovered a new song and artist. I learned from the comment sections that this song was used in a holiday movie called "The Holiday" so now I'm going to watch that movie.

Nights_Like_These
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2016, 4:37 pm

SnailHail wrote:
Speaking of the holidays I just discovered a new song and artist. I learned from the comment sections that this song was used in a holiday movie called "The Holiday" so now I'm going to watch that movie.

Interesting. I thought that was Imogen Heap singing (she has a pretty distinct voice), but I didn't realise she'd been part of a duo before.

--Aldous Huxley

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2016, 6:00 pm

This is neat, just found it on Youtube - almost reminds me of a smoother Purity Ring with electronics and beats reminiscent of Sepalcure:

SnailHail
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Dec 2016, 1:35 am

[quote="techstepgenr8tion]This is neat, just found it on Youtube - almost reminds me of a smoother Purity Ring with electronics and beats reminiscent of Sepalcure:[/quote]

I've listened to that duo before, from their song Unfold, it felt too much like the type of music sepalcure makes which is a turn off for me, but skimming through that EP you posted allowed me to give them another chance. I really like "Can I" and "Fantasy"

Found this new artist and this song has a nice mix of downtempo and trip hop

Nights_Like_These
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2016, 10:15 pm

A remix of an Alice Russell song:

--Aldous Huxley

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2017, 10:33 pm

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2017, 10:43 pm

I always felt like trip-hop, at it's core, was something like a UK remodeling of reggae and dancehall - you hear dancehall heavily in tunes like Tricky's Tricky Kid (I can visualize that Jamaican outdoor club from the movie Belly when I listen to it).

This one's reggae-heavy in a way where she sounds like she's partly copping Martina and even throwing some Brad Nowell tricks in for good measure:

And what has to be my favorite oldshool Massive Attack tune: