Finnish
German
Spanish
and many more....

staremaster
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2016, 10:09 pm

There is stuff all over the place, you just need a few leads. Good music can be found everywhere.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2016, 1:18 pm

Well I do listen to plenty of foriegn metal, there is so much good metal in the world...it would be a shame not to look at metal coming from other countries outside ones own.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2016, 2:16 pm

Does Esperanto music count as foreign? :nerdy:

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2016, 2:52 pm

I'm into Cambodian Funk Yodeling.

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2016, 6:19 pm

AspE wrote:
I'm into Cambodian Funk Yodeling.

yes. please be specific like that, beacuse that, for me, is a great find.

I'll return the favour by pointing to attwenger, which is an experimental austrian folk music duo. not foreign for me, but probably most of you.

and there's always Yat-Kha -mongolian metal.
and the very stressful Melt Banana from Japan.
and the rather relaxed Shonen Knife, also Japan.
Einstuerzende Neubauten, a classic. German experimental Industrial, turned old guys making more relaxed, experimental music now... Only half as fun if you don't understand the lyrics, but some of their songs are in english. with german accent.
Bodenstaendig 3000 -German 8-bit music with hilarious lyrics, if you speak german. Aphex Twin saw them live once and signed them to Warp records immediately, their debut Album titled "Maxi German Rave Blast Hits 3"

edit: after googling Cambodian funk yodelling, I fell in love with this tumblr full of ... asian yodelling and indians singing about hitler (also metal from everywhere!):
http://cambodianfunkyodeler.tumblr.com/

Last edited by shlaifu on 05 Oct 2016, 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2016, 6:44 pm

African Funk from the 1970's is also very, very cool. (Orchestre Poly Rythmo de Cotonou)

I like Turkish Psychedelic music from the same era.

Cambodian and Vietnamese pop music from that time is great. There is an excellent compilation called Cambodia Rocks.

intravenus_de_milo
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

07 Oct 2016, 4:32 am

In the 1990s, I discovered the Japanese Shibuya-Kei genre. Couldn't get enough of it. I own just about every Pizzicato Five album, along with a few other bands.

CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2016, 2:29 am

Cintakmarka, I'm curious to know what Indonesian artists or bands you like. Here are some of my favourite songs:

anagram
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2016, 3:33 am

huh, i was going to post a new thread on "music in other languages". i was only trying to decide where to post it, when i saw this one (though maybe i'll still post that thread later, because this isn't exactly the same thing as what i was thinking. but i'll follow this thread for a while first). lately most music i've been listening to is either in english or instrumental. but i'm realizing how this ends up excluding music that i could easily like, simply because it's sung in other languages and/or it's not meant for a global audience

i never really had a specific interest in one particular kind of music from one particular place, but over the years i've been interested in music by specific artists from different places and in different languages. i'm more interested in variations of "regular pop music" right now, but i used to have a slightly more eclectic taste. a name that instantly comes to mind is amadou & mariam (who i was introduced to through manu chao). they're really good. i just don't like to listen to them anymore because they remind me of periods of my life i don't want to remember, when i had this stuff playing on repeat all the time

(despite the title of the song above, they're actually from mali)

if i'm not mistaken, the language they sing in other than french is bambara

MamaFrankie5259
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2016, 2:47 pm

One of my favourite singers is the Vietnamese girl Khanh Linh who reminds me of Barbra Streisand vocally. I also like Kurdish music.

The gentleman on my avatar is the Swedish vocalist Tomas Ledin who has recorded in English but mainly prefers his own language. He is an absolute genius!

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2016, 4:40 pm

I will leave this awesomeness from Norway here: