Page 1 of 5 [ 67 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Dnuos
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2010, 6:42 pm

There was a thread about this earlier, I think, but can't seem to find it. It was titled "Radiohead - The definitive aspie band" or something like that.

For a band, does Radiohead's music seem to come across as Aspie-ish to anyone? I mean, a lot of us seem to identify with their songs. Even beyond the song 'Creep', their lyrics, mood, and melodies seem to have that sense of a lack of "belonging here", and the melancholy because of that. Just listening to OK Computer, 'Paranoid Android', 'Subterranean Homesick Alien', and other songs seemed to have this feeling.

Especially with Kid A, though it's not really the lyrics in that case.

And both Thom Yorke and Jonny Greenwood seem kind of aspie-ish. Not necessarily the other members of the band, but I'm sure at least one of them comes close to it.

Not jumping to any conclusions, but does anyone else who listens to Radiohead get this?

Last edited by Dnuos on 10 Aug 2010, 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2010, 7:10 pm

"Creep" is a theme song for AS.

Alternative
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2010, 5:43 am

Radiohead's alienated lyrics, can easily be related to people with AS, as well as the social misfits in the NT world.

Take "The Bends" for example:

"I wanna be a part of the human race."

That there is an anthem of a lyric crying out to us. :wink:

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2010, 1:19 am

"How to Disappear Completely" is a song that resonates a lot with me. The lyrics themselves are pretty simple but when you add all the weird echoey synth sounds, swelling violins, and dissonant electronic noises along with Thom's voice it adds a lot of depth.

skysaw
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2010, 5:16 pm

I don't understand the hype about Radiohead at all. I liked the songs Street Spirit and Lucky, but that's about all. Most of the rest just sound bland to me. I thought Paranoid Android was utter crap.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2010, 9:40 pm

skysaw wrote:
I don't understand the hype about Radiohead at all. I liked the songs Street Spirit and Lucky, but that's about all. Most of the rest just sound bland to me. I thought Paranoid Android was utter crap.

It must be a matter of perspective, or the way music emotes in our brains is just different. I find most of the rock and pop music that gets played on the radio excruciatingly bland and emotionless.

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2010, 9:52 pm

Radiohead are my favourite modern band, so my opinion is a little skewed.

Musically and lyrically, very few groups create anything that speaks to me on the same level that Radiohead do.

I must have listened to In Rainbows hundreds of times. That album should be sold as an alternative to meds for anyone feeling isolated or low.

robo37
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2010, 2:21 am

Street Spirit.

'This machine will... will not comunicate... these thoughts, and the strain I am under...'

Iron Lung's a good song aswell.

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2010, 5:59 am

Dnuos wrote:
And both Thom Yorke and Jonny Greenwood seem kind of aspie-ish. Not necessarily the other members of the band, but I'm sure at least one of them comes close to it.

Not jumping to any conclusions, but does anyone else who listens to Radiohead get this?

Thom Yorke comes across as very Aspie in interviews, as well as in his song-writing. Jonny Greenwood is a definite candidate when you consider his pursuit of all things musical. Obsession doesn't even begin to describe his ability with multiple instruments.

Delirium
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2010, 1:14 pm

adifferentname wrote:
Dnuos wrote:

Thom Yorke comes across as very Aspie in interviews, as well as in his song-writing. Jonny Greenwood is a definite candidate when you consider his pursuit of all things musical. Obsession doesn't even begin to describe his ability with multiple instruments.

Or maybe he's just passionate about music.

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2010, 2:27 pm

Delirium wrote:
Or maybe he's just passionate about music.

I'm certain he is passionate about music, but that degree of practical knowledge seems almost inhumanly obsessive to me and I'm hardly joe normal when it comes to pursuit of musical creativity.

But I certainly would not suggest that alone constitutes reason for a diagnosis. I just find the possibility intriguing. If they were both diagnosed they would make great ambassadors for AS.

Hector
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2010, 11:02 am

You don't have to have AS to be different or feel like a misfit. Radiohead are one of the most popular bands in a mostly non-AS world, and the subject matter of their songs seemingly plays a big role in this.

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2010, 7:21 am

Hector wrote:
You don't have to have AS to be different or feel like a misfit. Radiohead are one of the most popular bands in a mostly non-AS world, and the subject matter of their songs seemingly plays a big role in this.

This is an excellent point, but that has been the case with bands and musical styles down the years. However, the original question was not "Do people generally associate culturally with bands?" or "Do a large percentage of people feel disatisfied or out of place?". This is apparent with minimal observation.

Very few artists appeal to my specific brand of 'misfitting' than Radiohead do. Are they the definitive Aspie band? Yes, in my opinion. Could this be down to one or more of the group having AS? Arguably, yes.

There is a clear case for Thom Yorke having AS. He appears to 'stim' on stage, he seems very 'aspie-awkward' in interviews and has documented obsessions that fit the condition. If he did have AS it might explain the apparent affinity that aspies seem to have with their music.

Hector
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2010, 9:04 am

adifferentname wrote:
Hector wrote:

This is an excellent point, but that has been the case with bands and musical styles down the years. However, the original question was not "Do people generally associate culturally with bands?" or "Do a large percentage of people feel disatisfied or out of place?". This is apparent with minimal observation.

The question is on whether the themes of Radiohead's music are particular to AS, and whether one may gather that certain members have AS themselves. I wouldn't rule out the latter, but I don't find it all that apparent. The former I just don't see. Maybe people with some mental illness or strong phobia that also makes them social misfits can relate to the lyrics of many of their songs.

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2010, 9:42 am

Hector wrote:
The question is on whether the themes of Radiohead's music are particular to AS, and whether one may gather that certain members have AS themselves. I wouldn't rule out the latter, but I don't find it all that apparent. The former I just don't see. Maybe people with some mental illness or strong phobia that also makes them social misfits can relate to the lyrics of many of their songs.

The OP asked:

Dnuos wrote:
For a band, does Radiohead's music seem to come across as Aspie-ish to anyone?

And my answer to this is a categorical 'yes', as the music does come across as 'Aspie-ish' to me.

I would not presume to argue that the music of Radiohead does not appeal to anyone without AS, but the themes and lyrics of much of their work has clear associations that I suspect all aspies can relate too.

In much the same way, a hip-hop artist might appeal to a larger percentage of black inner-city youths than white middle class people from Norfolk. If I then discovered a clique of Norfolk public schoolboys who were fans of black music it would not lead me to suggest that the themes within hip-hop are less relevant to those black youths.

But if you don't see it then you don't see it. Your opinion is not 'wrong', it just differs from my own.

Delirium
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2010, 8:41 pm

adifferentname wrote:
Hector wrote:

The OP asked:

Dnuos wrote:
For a band, does Radiohead's music seem to come across as Aspie-ish to anyone?

And my answer to this is a categorical 'yes', as the music does come across as 'Aspie-ish' to me.

I would not presume to argue that the music of Radiohead does not appeal to anyone without AS, but the themes and lyrics of much of their work has clear associations that I suspect all aspies can relate too.

In much the same way, a hip-hop artist might appeal to a larger percentage of black inner-city youths than white middle class people from Norfolk. If I then discovered a clique of Norfolk public schoolboys who were fans of black music it would not lead me to suggest that the themes within hip-hop are less relevant to those black youths.

But if you don't see it then you don't see it. Your opinion is not 'wrong', it just differs from my own.

1. You can't diagnose someone you've never met.
2. A lot of people have some of the symptoms of Asperger's, but don't actually have it. Most of the symptoms of Asperger's overlap with other mental disorders.