Page 1 of 66 [ 1054 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 66  Next

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2017, 10:16 pm

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2017, 12:18 am

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Britte
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2017, 5:29 am

Britte
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2017, 5:32 am

Britte
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2017, 5:34 am

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2017, 9:17 am

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2017, 9:41 am

I've been pretty impressed with Mark System's whole Final Approach LP, very grown-up and sophisticated vibes in his work. Even considering the quality of the whole album this one stands out for me in particular:

Britte
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2017, 1:13 pm

I'm not sure this track qualifies. I will delete if need be. I happened upon your thread and the tracks I listened to are reminiscent of Tycho, which I listen to, frequently, while working, so I thought I might participate, here. Although, admittedly, I am not sure if it fits within the genre, because, I am not familiar with the term/genre Drum & Bass. One difference I notice is, the pace of the beats, compared to the pace of the tracks you've posted. I suppose I can look for a Wikipedia description. I hadn't thought of that. I particularly like the Klute track you posted. I spent a couple hours listening to the music in this thread, trying to decipher between this genre and some other music I listen to, in addition to Tycho. I had, actually, posted some, however wound up deleting, in case it wasn't applicable to this topic/genre. This is a good learning opportunity for me.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2017, 1:27 pm

TY - I'll take a listen when I get home. Tycho - Past is Prologue definitely qualified. It's really tied to the beat structure first and foremost but, then again, there are some tracks that would still cluster with dnb without having it quite in the usual sense. Take these for example:

Britte
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2017, 2:27 pm

Thank you for the description and examples. Interestingly, I'm finding the tempo of several of the tracks you've posted, to provoke a rather intense, physical feeling, similar to a fight or flight sensation.

Not sure if this would qualify, based on the inconsistency of the tempo in various parts.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2017, 2:56 pm

I did get a chance to listen to Poyo.

I think the way I'd describe that one - it sounds like a J-Dilla type of hip-hop beat with flourishes of Footwork influence (check Dj Rashad - Double Cup for an example of what that's about) and the vocal samples almost remind me of something you'd pull from Purity Ring or Teishi. It's tough to really genre lable stuff like that, maybe sort of like Ambient Indie-Pop?

The the best way I could really explain the difference betwen hip hop beats and dnb is that dnb is double-time, ie. most hip hop has usually been in the 80-90 bpm range where dnb tends to be between 165 and 176 bpm, the bulk of it these days is between 170 and 174 with the older stuff, like late 90's, in the mid 160's.

Ivy Lab started pushing something called 'half-time' which was really going back and doing hip-hop tempos again but reinterpreting it based on ideas that they (Sabre, Stray, and Halogenix) had from years of making drum n' bass:

Britte
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2017, 3:17 pm

Thank you. I'm going to listen to those artists you've mentioned. Thanks for the beat/tempo information. I sincerely appreciate the education. Will have a listen to the track you just posted, shortly.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2017, 4:49 pm

Np!

Returning to dnb:

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2017, 7:39 pm

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2017, 6:48 am

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2017, 3:30 pm