Page 37 of 67 [ 1063 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40 ... 67  Next

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2020, 10:09 pm

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2020, 7:18 am

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2020, 10:56 pm

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2020, 12:21 am

madbutnotmad
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2020, 6:38 pm

Hello. I used to be into jungle, intelligent DnB, Jazzy DnB, and later a bit of the more dance floor orientated sound.
I used to make jungle in the early days, and came from a more music based background rather than a DJ back ground.

Originally i was more into the hectic and intricate programming found in Jungle and intelligent DnB,
as well as perhaps broken beat etc.

Originally into jungle from smith and mighty, DJ Zinc, Ganja Crew, Photec, Andrew Weatherwall, LTJ Bookem, Peshay,
4 Hero, Fabio and Groove rider, and of course Ronni Size etc.

I was in a reggae band around the mid 90s, just local thing, so was really into fusing reggae with DnB
But there ya go, am still into reggae. making DnB and jungle did mostly wind me up anyway
i guess due to me being a hypersensitive ASD guy

still into reggae
not that fussed about the DnB scene anymore i am too old for all that

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2020, 6:56 pm

madbutnotmad wrote:
Originally into jungle from smith and mighty, DJ Zinc, Ganja Crew, Photec, Andrew Weatherwall, LTJ Bookem, Peshay,
4 Hero, Fabio and Groove rider, and of course Ronni Size etc.

All good names.

madbutnotmad wrote:
still into reggae
not that fussed about the DnB scene anymore i am too old for all that

I just put it in my ears. Haven't been out 'raving' since my mid 20's and even then the real glut was age 18-22 (1998 to 2002 whereabouts).

It serves as a grounding anchor in my life. The battle over 'is it real music' if it's electronic or sample-based seems like it never stops when I run into acoustic purists, ie. I know it's unusual that I'd actually chose to listen to it per say rather have it just be something that's on the PA's when you're popping e's.

I think for me it rolled up everything I liked about industrial, everything I liked about hip-hop, everything I liked about metal, everything I liked about jazz and just dumped it all out the same laundry chute. It still gets to me to think of those nights I'd go out when you'd see a multiracial circle of breakdancers decked out in Ecko, Hillfiger, etc. and getting deep into what sounds like it belongs more on Aliens, Blade Runner, or Dr. Who. It's that amazingly bizarre place, not to be seen again and perhaps may not be seen again for at least a few decades, where masculity's brought right next to intelligence and the transcendental - ie. where it was actually 'cool' to be all three of those things at once rather than having it be a zero-sum game.

That was the late 90's and early aughts though. Different mindset, different culture, different possibilities, and I still think a lot of people in the west are going down the pessimism drain dutifully. Mark Fischer (RIP) actually commented in one of his lectures on 'Slow Death of the Future' on dark drum n bass, sort of being the pinnacle of futurism, that futurism of that sort apexed and died in the 1990's, and we've been decaying into a world of frozen loops of synth pop that keep reaching back to times prior, cannibalizing themselves even for vaporwave and hyperpop, really zombified history getting recycled or a time past the mid aughts where generational distinctions seemed to stop.

I think of it like this - there's an ethos in this stuff that's an ethos, not a decade. If late 2010's were a devolving sort of thing that felt like it was increasing going toward the world of The Joker - that's a dumpster fire and I'd much rather internalize a different ethos and pull in a different direction, for my own sanity and psychological health. Not a great time to be 'current' in that sense.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2020, 7:00 pm

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2020, 7:10 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
Mark Fischer (RIP) actually commented in one of his lectures on 'Slow Death of the Future' on dark drum n bass, sort of being the pinnacle of futurism, that futurism of that sort apexed and died in the 1990's, and we've been decaying into a world of frozen loops of synth pop that keep reaching back to times prior, cannibalizing themselves even for vaporwave and hyperpop, really zombified history getting recycled or a time past the mid aughts where generational distinctions seemed to stop.

Correction - 'Slow Cancellation of the Future'. Just caught that.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2021, 6:47 pm

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2021, 8:12 pm

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2021, 6:05 pm

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2021, 11:33 pm

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2021, 12:21 am

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2021, 8:59 pm

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2021, 8:24 am

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2021, 8:29 am