Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

LegoMaster2149
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2017, 9:53 am

I am sure someone has already asked this question on the forum, but I wanted to ask this to you guys anyway: Are you good at drawing, or do your drawings look bad to you? I am not really good at drawing. I am a perfectionist in that area, and I have a very hard time, if not almost impossible time thinking of the image in my head or not using a visual. How good are you guys at drawing? And if you want to, you are welcome to post your drawings down below. ;)

From the curious being,

-LegoMaster2149 (Written on November 1, 2017)

hobojungle
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2017, 12:42 pm

Sometimes. I would say for every ten drawings drawings I make, one is good. But I am enjoying the process again & that is the most exciting thing.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2017, 5:33 pm

When I was young, drawing cartoon animals used to get me praised for being creative and talented. Now it gets me smacked with the label that I'm a "furry" and therefore an object of much hate. As if I wasn't enough of one as it is. While I often got praised by adults and younger kids, teens around my own age harassed and bullied me because it was all I had such an intense interest in cartoons. Now things are even worse. If drawing cartoon animals is now wrong, I guess showing any love or affection for real animals, even your pets, is being a furry too. Yes, I get it. If you have any positive feelings towards anything it means YOU WANT TO SCREW WITH IT! :roll:

I have to go die, now. :(

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2017, 1:44 am

I used to be half-way decent, I'd need to practice a bit to get back to that level though. :|

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Kiki1256
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2017, 12:32 am

People, no. People are hard to draw. I draw good animals, though. Lately I've been drawing lemurs. Wikihow has a good tutorial on how to draw a lemur.

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2017, 12:39 am

Nope. I feel like I draw like an 8-year-old.

Embla
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Nov 2017, 1:19 am

I've been drawing every single day for almost my entire life. But I didn't start getting good at it before I started practicing in the right way.
I used to think that I was as good as I could get, because even though I kept on drawing and drawing, it all just stayed at the same quality.
Then I learned about the thing called conscious learning. That is, instead of just keeping on drawing the same stuff in the same way all the time (which, when you think about it, obviously didn't lead anywhere), I started practicing all the things I'm bad at. Started with water and architecture, and moved on to light and color composition, right now I'm doing a lot of plants and mushrooms. Using a lot of photo references, and I just recently found out about the awesome power of youtube tutorials.
I've improved so much in such a short time just from learning this, and I recently started getting illustration-jobs!

So, it's not all about talent. More about putting in the practice where it's needed.

If you want to improve your drawing, you could try finding a critique-group. There are a few of them on facebook, and probably a lot of other places as well. People are usually very nice and helpful, and really great at pointing out the mistakes that you can't see yourself. And critiquing other people's work can be really helpful too.

(I'm too dumb to figure out how to post pictures here, but I put out a lot of paintings and stuff on instagram: https://www.instagram.com/emblagranqvist/)

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2017, 1:52 am

I mean I can draw ok if I set my mind to it, but its not like realistic drawing more abstract so not the best. I did take a class on portrait sketching with charcoal which I did pretty good with, but that is not really drawing...because a lot of times you rub your fingers on the charcoal to spread it and what not to get the shapes you want so not the same thing as taking a pencil and drawing outlines. Nonetheless I wasn't really into that even though I was pretty good...currently I have been trying to get into minature painting, and have done pretty good so far.

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2017, 5:00 pm

Depends how boring the lecture is. :wink:

Yeah...I'm something of a doodler. I tend to draw abstract, but I can also draw realistically somewhat- my notebook is just filled with random drawings of body parts like eyes, noses, lips, hair strands, eyebrows and hands. Occasionally shoes. I don't tend to draw full bodies of people very often, and usually just practice drawing particular parts. Also, I like drawing certain animals, plants and stars.

As for abstract, I tend to do negative space illusions with shapes, surreal cartoonish drawings, made up animals, and whatever else comes to mind.

Sometimes I draw stuff without really thinking, such as when we were doing about film and media, and I drew an old film projector in my notebook.

I also like drawing character designs, but they are not exactly great... :?

whatamievendoing
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2017, 8:33 am

I like to think I'm at least decent. Haven't picked up a pencil in a couple of years, though.

Here are a couple of what I consider to be some of my better drawings:
https://thatmadfinnishguy.deviantart.co ... -312903323
https://thatmadfinnishguy.deviantart.co ... -339820511

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

10 Nov 2017, 7:00 am

I really s#ck at drawing due to bad fine motor-skills & a tremor disorder that can act up when doing things with fine motor-skills.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

aspieinwonderland1
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

12 Nov 2017, 1:39 pm

There are times when I feel like I'm good at drawing. And there are times when I feel like I can't draw.

I love drawing but I'm not a professional artist.

I created my own drawing style since I'm not a big fan of creating realistic art.

I consider drawing as a stress reliever. But sometimes it can be stressful.

I draw people in the same pose because I have a hard time drawing what's in my head. Because I want to improve my drawing skills, I'm taking online drawing classes.

AspergersActor8693
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2017, 9:17 am

While my skills as an artist are prominent in some places (see username), unfortunately the gift of drawing has skipped me. It is a shame because I see some wonderful artwork and I wish that I could do something like that.

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2017, 9:43 am

Depends on the kind of drawing.

- When I was a kid, I was always drawing, but nearly always cars, aeroplanes, spaceships etc. Then, when I was at school I studied Engineering Drawing - note, not CAD (Computer Aided Design), this was old style with a drawing board, compasses and very sharp pencils. That kind of drawing, I was very good at, it just seemed to come naturally (I blame all those Lego/Meccano instruction booklets I read as a kid!) Later on, I did learn some CAD and have done a little in jobs, but I miss the old-fashioned way of doing it.

- Drawing from life or "artistic" drawing, not so good. Sometimes I can end up with something that is a good representation of the subject, but I feel like the engineering drawing gets in the way, and the drawings look to me like an engineer's or architect's scratchpad rather than "art". I labour everything, and get too focused on precision and tiny details at the expense of the whole. I really envy the people who can suggest the "essence" of something in only a few lines. When I used to paint, it was almost exclusively abstract, partly for that reason and also because my taste in art is skewed that way.