Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Glflegolas
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Oct 2017, 7:10 pm

Good day folks,

About a couple days ago, I listened to this song.

If you have abseloute pitch (like myself), you'll know that the key of each of the songs is different. In fact, of the five songs here, they are in the following keys: 1: E flat major, 2: C major, 3: F major, 4: C major, and 5: E major.

What was interesting is that I especially enjoyed the first and last songs, even though all five are in the same style: military orchestral music. Those songs are in E and E flat major. In fact, I listened to the first song "The Caisson Song" in C major, and it just didn't sound as nice.

Then, I moved on to Mike Plume's song "More than a Game", and that's also in E major, and the melody here is just great.

On Hank Snow's "I've Been Everywhere", I also enjoy the third verse the most -- again E major. Same goes for when I play piano music, I almost always choose either E or E flat major. Or, I'll go with C# or C minor, the relative minors of the keys. For example, El Dorado by TSFH is written in two keys. It starts in G minor, and moves on to C minor.

So, is it just me that particularly enjoys E and E flat major (or any other key for that matter), or do lots of you have favourite keys?

Myers-Briggs personality: The Commander
Asperger's Quiz: 79/111, both neurodiverse and neurotypical traits present. AQ score: 23 Raads-r score: here

Glflegolas
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Oct 2017, 7:12 pm

By the way the frequency of E4 is 329.628 Hz, while Eflat4 is 311.127 Hz. FYI.

Myers-Briggs personality: The Commander
Asperger's Quiz: 79/111, both neurodiverse and neurotypical traits present. AQ score: 23 Raads-r score: here

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2017, 3:13 am

I do like E, especially E minor, but since I also sing, I have to take my range into account when I'm writing, or covering someone else's song. I also like to try to have some variety.

Have you ever looked into alternate pitches? I suppose that's not very feasible with a piano. I had read some interesting conspiracy theories that since certain frequencies can elicit certain responses in humans (makes sense), that standard concert pitch was created during World War II as an attempt to help control the populace (uh...okay suuure maybe).