R.E.M.
Smashing Pumpkins
Brian Eno
Phish

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2020, 10:12 pm

There are so many bands I like it is hard to say.

Pink Floyd has been a favorite for a very long time, but I will exclude that from the list. So then there is

Behemoth
The Growlers
Satyricon
Iron Maiden
Dimmu Borgir
Rhapsody of Fire
Judas Priest
Dio
David Bowie
Iggy Pop
Joy Division
Ghost of Lemora
The Hu

just to name a few, there are many other bands/artists I really enjoy.

Portishead is good, but just not sure I'd say they are one of my favorites....like some songs I really like, but not sure about all of them. Still I do not run into many people who've heard them.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2020, 10:59 am

Converge, Insect Warfare, Magrudergrind, Spazz, Pig Destroyer, His Hero Is Gone, Orchid, Small Brown Bike, Darkthrone, Burzum, S.O.D., Municipal Waste, early Witch Tomb, wumpscut, Hocico, Suicide Commando, Atari Teenage Riot, Saetia, At The Drive-In, Wu-Tang Clan, Necro/Ill Bill/Non-Phixion, The Weathermen/Cage/Smut Peddlers/Leak Bros/MHz/Copywrite/Jakki The Motamouth/Tame One/Camu Tao, D12/Eminem/Bizarre/Swifty/Mr. Porter/Kuniva/Proof, Griselda/Benny The Butcher/Westside Gunn/Conway, MF DOOM, Busta Rhymes, Redman, Jedi Mind Tricks/Vinnie Paz, R.A. the Rugged Man.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Jgunn81
Butterfly
Butterfly

13 Mar 2020, 12:03 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
There are so many bands I like it is hard to say.

Pink Floyd has been a favorite for a very long time, but I will exclude that from the list. So then there is

Behemoth
The Growlers
Satyricon
Iron Maiden
Dimmu Borgir
Rhapsody of Fire
Judas Priest
Dio
David Bowie
Iggy Pop
Joy Division
Ghost of Lemora
The Hu

just to name a few, there are many other bands/artists I really enjoy.

Portishead is good, but just not sure I'd say they are one of my favorites....like some songs I really like, but not sure about all of them. Still I do not run into many people who've heard them.

One thing I don’t like about Portishead is the static sound in the background in s few of their songs. Humming would be my favorite song without that problem.

BlueOysterCultist
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

30 Mar 2020, 2:23 pm

This is not an exhaustive list. :)

Blue Öyster Cult
Iron Maiden
Iced Earth
Judas Priest
Blind Guardian
Demons & Wizards
Accept
Alestorm
Queenrÿche
The Protomen
Manilla Road
Therion
Within Temptation
Satan
King Diamond
Mercyful Fate
Elyose
Unseelie
Alcest
Master Boot Record
Renaissance
Emerson, Lake & Palmer
King Crimson
Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

06 Apr 2020, 5:02 am

It's hard for me to pick some. What I really like depends on what I'm into at the time. Things change a lot. I'll try to post what I listened to the most. I'll also leave out unheard of groups. & I've leave out individual artists, boy-bands & pop singers since this thread asked about bands :arrow:

Aqua
B-52s
Blink 182
Bowling For Soup
Dropkick Murphys
Eve 6
Gin Blossoms
Goo Goo Dolls
Good Charlotte
Great Big Sea
Green Day
Kiss
Motley Crue
New Found Glory
Panic At The Disco
Papa Roach
Paramore
Poison
Psychostick
Quad City Dj's
Ratt
Rise Against
Senses Fail
Simple Plan
Steel Panther
Sugarland
Sum 41
Superchick
The Click Five
The Donnas
The Offspring
The Presidents Of The United States Of America
The Sounds
The Veronicas
Third Eye Blind
Trapt
Twisted Sister
Vixen
Warrant
Winger

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Zakatar
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2020, 9:20 am

Aerosmith
Bob Seger & the Silver Bullet Band
Bon Jovi
Boston
Breaking Benjamin
Bruce Springsteen
Bryan Adams
Coldplay
Crosby, Stills, & Nash
Daughtry
Doobie Brothers
Eddie Money
Eric Clapton [inc. Cream, Derek & the Dominos]
Evanescence
Fleetwood Mac
Goo Goo Dolls
John Mayer
Journey
Lifehouse
Linkin Park
Matchbox Twenty
REO Speedwagon
Simon & Garfunkel
Snow Patrol
Styx
Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers
Toto
U2

#palestinianlivesmatter

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2020, 4:57 pm

Jgunn81 wrote:
One thing I don’t like about Portishead is the static sound in the background in s few of their songs. Humming would be my favorite song without that problem.

Funny you say that, I just spent about an hour tracking down 'good' sounding examples of cassette tape, vhs and record noise to dub into the background of my sterile sounding digital recordings to fix the problem of not enough background noise. :nerdy:

Whether it's hip-hop or metal or punk or whatever else most of my favourite recordings are fairly lo-fi. A lot of the current production methods tend to lead to overly sterile recordings that I find really uninteresting. Sometimes a grubby, rough aesthetic works best to communicate a certain atmosphere.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2020, 4:26 am

Zakatar wrote:
Aerosmith
Bon Jovi
Boston
Breaking Benjamin
Bruce Springsteen
Bryan Adams
Coldplay
Crosby, Stills, & Nash
Daughtry
Doobie Brothers
Eddie Money
Evanescence
Fleetwood Mac
Goo Goo Dolls
John Mayer
Journey
Lifehouse
Linkin Park
Matchbox Twenty
REO Speedwagon
Simon & Garfunkel
Snow Patrol
Styx
Toto
U2

I like this list the best so far(other than mine of corse) & have half those artists/groups/bands on my computer. I considered listing some of those but they were individual artists instead of a whole band. I almost mentioned LInkin ParK but I haven't really listened to them in ages but I really liked em. Maybe I'll make another post in here covering the groups I left out that aren't technically bands. I listed a lot of stuff on my 1st post that were technically bands so I thought it best to leave out the stuff that wasn't.

Zakatar
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2020, 1:17 pm

nick007 wrote:
Zakatar wrote:
Aerosmith
Bon Jovi
Boston
Breaking Benjamin
Bruce Springsteen
Bryan Adams
Coldplay
Crosby, Stills, & Nash
Daughtry
Doobie Brothers
Eddie Money
Evanescence
Fleetwood Mac
Goo Goo Dolls
John Mayer
Journey
Lifehouse
Linkin Park
Matchbox Twenty
REO Speedwagon
Simon & Garfunkel
Snow Patrol
Styx
Toto
U2

I like this list the best so far(other than mine of corse) & have half those artists/groups/bands on my computer. I considered listing some of those but they were individual artists instead of a whole band. I almost mentioned LInkin ParK but I haven't really listened to them in ages but I really liked em. Maybe I'll make another post in here covering the groups I left out that aren't technically bands. I listed a lot of stuff on my 1st post that were technically bands so I thought it best to leave out the stuff that wasn't.

When I see the word “band” in a musical sense, I think more generally of “artist”. I’m glad at least someone likes my list! Yours is probably my favorite of the ones posted beside my own as well. It’s so difficult these days to find others around my age with similar musical taste to mine, as it seems like the vast majority in my age group who listen to rock these days primarily listen to either hardcore punk or death metal, and everyone else is into hip hop/rap, electronic, bland post-2012 radio pop, or country.

#palestinianlivesmatter

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2020, 6:50 pm

Zakatar wrote:
When I see the word “band” in a musical sense, I think more generally of “artist”. I’m glad at least someone likes my list! Yours is probably my favorite of the ones posted beside my own as well. It’s so difficult these days to find others around my age with similar musical taste to mine, as it seems like the vast majority in my age group who listen to rock these days primarily listen to either hardcore punk or death metal, and everyone else is into hip hop/rap, electronic, bland post-2012 radio pop, or country.

Personally I haven't noticed that many folks here into extreme music or into hip-hop, and even fewer who appreciate both.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2020, 4:34 am

Zakatar wrote:
I tend to think artists to but some people get technical about it. I do like hardcore punk & country but they're not my favorite genres. I do like some post 2012 pop but I find some of it crosses into rap & I'm not that into rap thou I do like some. Now I'll list the stuff I left out excluding unheard of bands :arrow:

Britney Spears
Carrie Underwood
Cledus T Judd
Eddie Money
Hilary Duff
Janet Jackson
Jennette McCurdy
Katy Perry
Ke$ha
Kellie Pickler
Kelly Osbourne
Lady Gaga
Lindsay Lohan
Luke Bryan
Michael Jackson(I actually listen to Janet more thou)
Meat Loaf
Miley Cyrus
Miranda Cosgrove(I have a mega huge crush obsession with her)
Miranda Lambert
Ozzy Ozborn
Pat Benatar
Phil Collins
Randy Houser
Selena Gomez
Skye Sweetnam
Taylor Swift
Toby Keith
Weird Al Yankovic

& while typing this I'm listening to the Guano Apes

Zakatar
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2020, 4:13 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Zakatar wrote:
...It’s so difficult these days to find others around my age with similar musical taste to mine, as it seems like the vast majority in my age group who listen to rock these days primarily listen to either hardcore punk or death metal, and everyone else is into hip hop/rap, electronic, bland post-2012 radio pop, or country.

Personally I haven't noticed that many folks here into extreme music or into hip-hop, and even fewer who appreciate both.

I'm talking my generation in general, not on here in particular.

nick007 wrote:
I tend to think artists to but some people get technical about it. I do like hardcore punk & country but they're not my favorite genres. I do like some post 2012 pop but I find some of it crosses into rap & I'm not that into rap thou I do like some. Now I'll list the stuff I left out excluding unheard of bands :arrow:

Britney Spears
Carrie Underwood
Cledus T Judd
Eddie Money
Hilary Duff
Janet Jackson
Jennette McCurdy
Katy Perry
Ke$ha
Kellie Pickler
Kelly Osbourne
Lady Gaga
Lindsay Lohan
Luke Bryan
Michael Jackson(I actually listen to Janet more thou)
Meat Loaf
Miley Cyrus
Miranda Cosgrove(I have a mega huge crush obsession with her)
Miranda Lambert
Ozzy Ozborn
Pat Benatar
Phil Collins
Randy Houser
Selena Gomez
Skye Sweetnam
Taylor Swift
Toby Keith
Weird Al Yankovic

I'm not saying I hate any of those genres I mentioned (well, beside most rap and post-2012 pop, I prefer listening to music with melody (which most post-2012 pop and all hip hop/rap severely lacks) and real instruments, or synths played like real instruments as is the case with a lot of 80s pop and rock), I just prefer less-extreme varieties of rock.

#palestinianlivesmatter

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2020, 4:28 pm

Zakatar wrote:
I'm not saying I hate any of those genres I mentioned (well, beside most rap and post-2012 pop, I prefer listening to music with melody (which most post-2012 pop and all hip hop/rap severely lacks) and real instruments, or synths played like real instruments as is the case with a lot of 80s pop and rock), I just prefer less-extreme varieties of rock.

While hip-hop tends to use simple melodies, you'd be showing your ignorance of the genre to insist it's utterly without melodies. Melody isn't an element that's emphasized but that's not the same as being devoid of melody. Perhaps you only can appreciate music that fits a certain formula and you're entitled to that preference, but dismissing it as less artistic because you fail to appreciate it says more about your own mindset then it does about that type of art. Lots of simpletons dismiss what they can't understand but it's never something to be proud of.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Zakatar
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2020, 4:51 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Zakatar wrote:

While hip-hop tends to use simple melodies, you'd be showing your ignorance of the genre to insist it's utterly without melodies. Melody isn't an element that's emphasized but that's not the same as being devoid of melody. Perhaps you only can appreciate music that fits a certain formula and you're entitled to that preference, but dismissing it as less artistic because you fail to appreciate it says more about your own mindset then it does about that type of art. Lots of simpletons dismiss what they can't understand but it's never something to be proud of.

Spoken word ≠ melody. Some rap songs do have sung choruses/bridges, yes, and like I said before I don't hate all rap, just most of it. I probably should've said I prefer melodies that do more than just switch between the same 2-3 notes.

#palestinianlivesmatter

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2020, 5:16 pm

Zakatar wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Zakatar wrote:

Spoken word ≠ melody. Some rap songs do have sung choruses/bridges, yes, and like I said before I don't hate all rap, just most of it. I probably should've said I prefer melodies that do more than just switch between the same 2-3 notes.

Ignoring that speech itself contains melodic information, people use pitch as a component when speaking, it's not as though it's merely spoken word over a drum beat, there's generally a melodic component to the instrumental as well.

12tone has a few videos that deal with the question of melody within hip-hop:

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う