Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Balbituate
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Apr 2018, 7:38 am

So lately I’ve been hating modern pop. I know. How original... As a teen I pretended to hate pop, but I still secretly enjoyed it. Now I truly hate 90% of it. I don’t even want to. My inner hipster is happy I can hate pop without trying, but the part of me that wants me to make friends and connect with people isn’t. I still like outdated pop like 90s and 2000s rnb. This makes me feel kind of old. My age on my profile isn’t accurate here. I’m in my early 20s. I feel too young to not enjoy some modern pop. My hate for modern pop sure makes me fun at parties. I just want to be able to have fun and dance to modern pop. But I can’t even enjoy dancing to it! My taste isn’t even worth being a snob about. I enjoy eurotrash and I guess mindlessly listening to trap. Trap is probably the main modern music I listen to and I barely ever listen to it. I only ever listen to it when I want to disassociate from my thoughts. I guess to the average person it looks like I’m some hipster who only listens to indie. I guess I do enjoy some indie, but a lot of it is boring to me.

shaima sallam
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Apr 2018, 7:46 am

I think that modern pop is ordinary meanwhile, but back in the 90s it was original..
for me I listen to all genres of music, but I really enjoy classic rock.

Balbituate
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Apr 2018, 8:06 am

shaima sallam wrote:
I think that modern pop is ordinary meanwhile, but back in the 90s it was original..

I feel like that as well, but I’m not sure it’s true. I feel like it’s just because I’m old. I guess I like a lot of genres as well. Just nothing that will make me popular at a party.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

09 Apr 2018, 9:02 am

Balbituate wrote:
shaima sallam wrote:

I feel like that as well, but I’m not sure it’s true. I feel like it’s just because I’m old. I guess I like a lot of genres as well. Just nothing that will make me popular at a party.

I wondered why should you force anything on your tastes. Why not enjoy what you enjoy, whatever it is? Opera, symphonies, Buddhist spiritual music, Estonian pagan metal, whatever moves you!
Then I read this. Oh, this is it. You see your music tastes as an obstacle to become popular at parties.
I see two possible solutions:
1. Pretend to like whatever is "hot";
2. Party with people with compatibile tastes.

Your choice.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Balbituate
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Apr 2018, 9:23 am

magz wrote:
Balbituate wrote:
shaima sallam wrote:

I wondered why should you force anything on your tastes. Why not enjoy what you enjoy, whatever it is? Opera, symphonies, Buddhist spiritual music, Estonian pagan metal, whatever moves you!
Then I read this. Oh, this is it. You see your music tastes as an obstacle to become popular at parties.
I see two possible solutions:
1. Pretend to like whatever is "hot";
2. Party with people with compatibile tastes.

Your choice.

I guess I’m more concerned about not looking like I’m enjoying myself. I used to enjoy dancing at parties, but now I don’t because I hate the music. Guess I can just pretend to enjoy myself. I guess the monthly LGBT party has compatible music taste with me. I’m pretty happy about that. Interesting that my music taste is compatible. I don’t really think I fit in with the LGBT community.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2018, 7:18 pm

Why would you want to stop being a music snob?
98% of everything is rubbish.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Balbituate
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Apr 2018, 5:00 pm

funeralxempire wrote:

Because my music taste isn’t anything worth being snobby over, lol.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2018, 5:54 pm

Balbituate wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

So? You like what you like, and you dislike what you don't like. Nothing wrong with that.

Balbituate
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Apr 2018, 6:00 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Balbituate wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

So? You like what you like, and you dislike what you don't like. Nothing wrong with that.

I just feel like I’m too harsh against music I don’t like such as nickelback or clubbing music. If people heard what I said about music I hate I bet they could find some stuff I listen to and make fun of it even worse.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2018, 6:36 pm

Balbituate wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Balbituate wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

I just feel like I’m too harsh against music I don’t like such as nickelback or clubbing music. If people heard what I said about music I hate I bet they could find some stuff I listen to and make fun of it even worse.

Regardless, you're entitled to your opinion. For instance, I think most country is the most wretched noise I've ever heard, but there are many who like it. I have my tastes, and so do country music fans.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

12 Apr 2018, 12:11 am

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/snob

Quote:
Definition of snob
1 British : cobbler
2 : one who blatantly imitates, fawningly admires, or vulgarly seeks association with those regarded as social superiors
3 a : one who tends to rebuff, avoid, or ignore those regarded as inferior
b : one who has an offensive air of superiority in matters of knowledge or taste
Having your own tastes does not make you a snob.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2018, 6:54 pm

Balbituate wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Balbituate wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

Nothing wrong with that, we can mock each other's favourite music and just accept that plenty of stuff with mass appeal lacks personal appeal.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2018, 8:10 pm

Last year on the radio, everything was slow jam fingersnaps "go go go" (I had to listen to a lot of it at work). Nobody will remember most of it in two years, and next year who knows what the trend will be. Maybe it'll be something you actually like?

I won't pretend to follow that kind of stuff, and I don't know the names, but I read an article about how a couple of famous producers, who are well known for religiously clinging to stale "it will sell" formulas, are losing a lot of their female clients, in light of the recent string of sex scandles. So maybe we'll start seeing some positive changes?

I just looked it up, one of the producers is Dr. Luke.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2018, 1:01 am

SabbraCadabra wrote:
Last year on the radio, everything was slow jam fingersnaps "go go go" (I had to listen to a lot of it at work). Nobody will remember most of it in two years, and next year who knows what the trend will be. Maybe it'll be something you actually like?

I won't pretend to follow that kind of stuff, and I don't know the names, but I read an article about how a couple of famous producers, who are well known for religiously clinging to stale "it will sell" formulas, are losing a lot of their female clients, in light of the recent string of sex scandles. So maybe we'll start seeing some positive changes?

I just looked it up, one of the producers is Dr. Luke.

I don't even really know what is on the radio, I just use spotify and listen to the stuff I like...its really quite nice, I can have a variety of music but not have to suffer through songs I don't like or don't want to listen to at that moment.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2018, 6:59 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
I don't even really know what is on the radio, I just use spotify and listen to the stuff I like...its really quite nice, I can have a variety of music but not have to suffer through songs I don't like or don't want to listen to at that moment.

The local top 40 station (or whatever it's called) is one of the few stations that comes in well at work, so they got us a Sonus so we could stream whatever we wanted...so of course, they're streaming basically the same music, but without the censoring =|

I'm pretty sure we're not allowed to wear headphones, but nobody says anything anymore, so I pull mine out when I have to. I could just turn up my stereo louder, but I don't think anyone else enjoys having a loudness war with Jerry Garcia or Pigpen =)

Ardea cinerea
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Apr 2018, 6:45 pm

Listen to what you like, let people make and listen to what ever music they like, just live and let live.