Where should an absolute beginner get started with Art?

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

shyteddy
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 May 2018, 2:25 am

I've never picked up a paintbrush or drawn anything more complex than a naked stick figure. Nonetheless, of all the skills man can cultivate under heaven there's none I desire more firmly to emanate than to put my imagination to canvas - and be able to draw, paint, or sketch my ideas with a degree of clarity. I'd like to get started as an artist and buy for me some materials but I'm overwhelmed by the sheer wealth of information available, and I'm not sure where to get started. Better late then never though I suppose.

To my artists here- Where do you suppose a beginner should get started? What are the best resources, tutorials, materials, courses, and so forth that a beginner can utilize to get an overview of what drawing/painting/sketching involves in detail? Preferably none that will wage war on my pocketbook, I simply can't afford to pay for one, but if free materials exist, I'll gladly use them. I thank you all in advance for answering.

Appletree_1987
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

08 May 2018, 2:41 am

Hello shyteddy.
I have one bit of advice only, go to amazon and order yourself a copy of the book 'drawing on the right side of the brain' by Betty Edwards.
Go buy yourself a pad and some pencils (not overly expensive eh?) and then get started.
you said you are overwhelmed so i am giving you the simplest advice I can think of, this book is totally amazing and I used it myself having never done drawing in my life, if you want to get started in art then I can think of no better place than to get started on the exercises in this book.
Please go for it and let me know how you get on.

I tried to post a link to the book on amazon but as a new user i am not allowed to post a link. :(

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2018, 4:55 am

If you've never really painted or drawn much then I suggest you start with getting some cheap paper, pens and paint, ones that kids usually doodle with. You know, just get a hang of it without thinking too much and see what kind of art you want to do, what you're good at and if you enjoy it or not. After you get these things figured out then you could start thinking about art courses.

...But well, I'm not an artist, so take my advice with a grain or two of salt.