Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2018, 2:50 am

Uhh I feel bad because this guy died in like 2015 and pretty sure at the time I had no idea who he was. But my boyfriend found a show that was a film adaptation of one of his books called 'the color of magic' just had three episodes but I liked it a lot. But the whole time it seemed a little familier.....basically I recognized the Death character from a book I read quite a while back...gave it away when he called his horse 'Binkey' because I remembered in the book I read the Death character had a horse named binkey.

But yeah I literally read part of one of his books and that was enough for when I saw that little mini-series to be like...oh this is familer, pretty sure i read a book by this guy. So yeah now I want to track down all the books and read them. Just kind of sad because that author, well he's dead.....from the wikipedia page, he eventually developed Alzheimer disease......but fought against it as long as possible till it finally took him. Just sad because from what I read he seemed like a really cool person, he was even an advocate for Orangutans...like donated money to help them. But it was just sad seemed like for a while he thought maybe the alzheimers wouldn't get to him so much....but towards the end he couldn't even write on his own...and had to have someone dictate for him. Though when he died I guess someone wrote a tribute for him...in the same style he did the writing for the character Death.

Does anyone else appreciate this author?

Temeraire
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2018, 4:31 am

Yeah, I like his books.

They are very easy to read and light hearted as well as creative.

I will be reading another of his books as soon as I finish my present book.

The great thing about getting into his books is that he has written so many that they will entertain you for a long time.

I was also very sad to hear he had died - a huge loss for us appreciators.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2018, 4:47 am

Temeraire wrote:
Yeah, I like his books.

They are very easy to read and light hearted as well as creative.

I will be reading another of his books as soon as I finish my present book.

The great thing about getting into his books is that he has written so many that they will entertain you for a long time.

I was also very sad to hear he had died - a huge loss for us appreciators.

I really like his Death character, that is why I picked up the first book...I liked the idea of a story about death. in the one I read he was banished by the auditors or whatever to live as a human but I think he gained back the death status somehow...and there was something about snow-globes growing into cities. I didn't finish the book because I had to return it to the library...but now I want to finish it and read others.

Its just crazy if my boyfriend hadn't found that bbc t.v adaptation I might not have ever remembered anything about that book. But like the instant we started watching it, it seemed familer but it took a while before I realized I recognized the death character.

Temeraire
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2018, 4:55 am

Death makes appearances in other books too so you are in for a treat.

I am pleased I found an author which stirs me as I have a limited interest in book themes.

You will introduced to all sorts of characters which will make you smile.

He is well worth it.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2018, 4:57 am

Temeraire wrote:
Death makes appearances in other books too so you are in for a treat.

I am pleased I found an author which stirs me as I have a limited interest in book themes.

You will introduced to all sorts of characters which will make you smile.

He is well worth it.

OH yeah there are good characters, lol like rincewind the failed wizard...he is entertaining.

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2018, 7:27 am

Terry Pratchett is straight up one of my greatest heroes! He's a massive cult figure here in the UK. He always manged to be both funny and thought-provoking. No going for the lazy jokes there... and he created enough great characters for ten series. If you haven't encountered Nanny Ogg or Captain Carrot yet, you're in for a treat. Everything I've heard about him makes him sound like an uncommonly decent human being- compassionate, fearsomely intelligent, and unusually down-to-earth for a famous author.

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2018, 10:05 am

I have always meant to read more of Terry Pratchett's books - I have thoroughly enjoyed the half dozen or so Discworld novels that I've read so far. I love the way that he effortlessly slips in his observations and criticisms of the modern world; it is a rare writer who can manage to be so satirical while keeping the laughter flowing and not slipping into invective (Douglas Adams is another who comes to mind.)

And I was heartened to discover that Death loves cats! :D

Esmerelda Weatherwax
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2018, 7:14 pm

Google my username, Sweetleaf, and you'll see just how much I appreciate Sir Terry.

:-)

"I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people," said the man. "You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides."
-- Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2018, 1:39 am

While I had never read any of Pratchett's stuff, my late dad was definitely a fan.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2018, 1:55 am

PhosphorusDecree wrote:
Terry Pratchett is straight up one of my greatest heroes! He's a massive cult figure here in the UK. He always manged to be both funny and thought-provoking. No going for the lazy jokes there... and he created enough great characters for ten series. If you haven't encountered Nanny Ogg or Captain Carrot yet, you're in for a treat. Everything I've heard about him makes him sound like an uncommonly decent human being- compassionate, fearsomely intelligent, and unusually down-to-earth for a famous author.

Yeah I want to read more, from what I can tell there are a couple more film adaptations of his books, of course currently they are not available for view or purchase on amazon prime. So books it is...lol. But yeah I like the style of humour, like its funny because its ridiculous and illogical and fun, rather than some more american humour I guess where its funny 'cause its stupid regardless of the context you put it in'. IDK I have always preferred British humour...I mean people like that Dane Cook comedian here in the U.S and as far as I can tell he just makes mean jokes about different sorts of people and half the comedy seems like that...its just talking s**t about people. So I certainly prefer the satirical kind of silly sort of comedy as opposed to that.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2018, 2:38 am

Pratchett isn't my fave author by any means. I am far more fan of horror and thrillers.
But his books are good, pretty funny. So far I have liked the Rincewind books most.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

Esmerelda Weatherwax
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2018, 7:33 pm

I adore Rincewind. He's a "pathetic hero" - the universe craps on him constantly and mightily, and he keeps wiping it away from his eyes, and heading right back into whatever hideous mess he knows he has to help fix*. If you've read "The Last Continent" it's marvelous to see him fall into a place where he ends up greatly loved, even though he decides he can't stay.

*I think this makes him an Honorary Aspie ;-) - there's an old thread around here somewhere in which it devolves that all of us who posted have the same hard-wired response to accident/disaster: we run towards it. To try and help.

"I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people," said the man. "You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides."

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2018, 9:52 pm

^ I haven't read it yet. The Rincewind stories I have read are The Color of Magic, The Light Fantastic, Interesting Times, and Eric.

Do you know if Unseen Academicals is any good? I was a bit put off by it being so much about football, since that's not an interest of mine.

Quote:
If you've read "The Last Continent" it's marvelous to see him fall into a place where he ends up greatly love

I wonder if that means that Oz is the natural homeland of aspies? :lol:

Quote:
*I think this makes him an Honorary Aspie ;-) - there's an old thread around here somewhere in which it devolves that all of us who posted have the same hard-wired response to accident/disaster: we run towards it. To try and help.

I remember that thread. I was one of the "dissenters" there, not lacking fear or sense of danger at all. In the face of disaster/danger I will either freeze, hide or flee. Unfortunately for me, I am most likely to freeze. I certainly don't run towards it, so it's not hard wired in me.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2018, 10:00 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
I really like his Death character, that is why I picked up the first book...I liked the idea of a story about death.

Death is a really optimistic guy. He's always grinning. If you like Death you should read Mort.

Hey does anyone remember when Discworld was a cartoon?

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2018, 5:42 pm

Skilpadde wrote:
Do you know if Unseen Academicals is any good? I was a bit put off by it being so much about football, since that's not an interest of mine.

Maybe one for the completist... it kind of rounds off Vimes' character arc, if you're reading the City Watch books. The football theme turned out more interesting than I expected. But the writing is very hit-and-miss. This was well into Pratchett's final illness, so while there are brilliant bits, there are other parts that are painful to read, they're so below his usual standard.

Esmerelda Weatherwax
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2018, 5:49 pm

^^ Seconded.

Theoretically you can read the novels in any order, but it's actually a lot more fun on the first go-round if you try to go through them in chronological sequence - you get to see the characters develop that way, and his characters are really worth watching unfold.

I will be forever grateful to the colleague who started me off with Guards! Guards! and Wyrd Sisters.