Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

PokeJediFurBuilder90
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

29 May 2018, 6:15 pm

You know what really grinds my gears? Trying to find friends when you are a Furry. I live in small town America, where the term "Furry" is associated with sexual deviancy. They say you shouldn't fake it in a friendship, so that's why I try to be open to people about being a part of the fandom. Some people are understanding of it, and others just throw me under the bus claiming I'm a sexual deviant. This needs to stop right now people!

Biskit69
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 May 2018, 8:39 pm

I hate furrys a lot tbh (no offense)

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2018, 3:08 am

I thought maybe people were getting more comfortable with that with how popular those onesie suits of different animals or characters have become like they have them at wal-mart and target. Hell I've even thought of getting one they had a dragon suit with a cool dragon tail and I wanted it but I didn't have the money to spend on it as it wasn't something I need.

But yeah aside from hearing that it was some weird sexual thing, I always got more of the impression it was just people who like to dress up as animals like not that weird. People dress up for Halloween and people dress up for cos-play things. Plus how are you going to have sex in those kind of costumes anyways?

Ms.Berg
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2018, 7:45 am

I know someone whom I care a lot about, who are into the furry fandom and her reason seems to be her interest and liking of cartoons and characterdesign(she is very good at drawing), animals (and biomechanics, which she uses and experiments with when drawing her fantasy-/cartoon drawings) and the craftsmanship of making the costumes. One of her favorite movies is Fantastic Mr. Fox.... It all adds up in my point of view.
A furry suit is to her a way of making a drawn character come to life. Getting the exact look and expression of the character seems like something that is a driving motivation for her besides the fun of looking at the work and ideas of others. As I understand it, the costume is like a character that has been created with lots of thoughts and considerations as a creative process of self expression and personal tastes and interests.
I know for sure she doesn`t connect anything sexual to her interest and being quite young she feels embarrassed and annoyed by it when she comes across people talking about it as a sexual thing so I have been supportive as I can only see how this interest has a positive influence. I can understand people make mistakes about things they don`t understand. But this misconception is understandably uncomfortable for those(especially young people) who are loving this.

Also, as I understand it, wearing those costumes are almost an art form on its own!? You need to learn how to operate it and make it expressive and communicate the way intended and make it safe and show courtesy around others.

I have learned that this is a highly creative interest. I have been asked to help make such a (full)costume as I enjoy sewing a bit. With no experience it will be demanding but why not try...

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2018, 8:48 am

Someone being a 'Furry' doesn't matter to me; it's when they cross over into the 'Otherkin' identity that makes me question their sanity.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

vaguelyhumanoid
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

16 Jun 2018, 3:44 pm

I'm kind of a furry. I'm not really actively involved in the fandom, but I've always found it interesting. (I was more involved for a while as a teenager.) The roleplaying/worldbuilding elements and the artistic self-expression really appeal to me, plus it's a community with a lot of other queer and neurodivergent people.

foxyfluff
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

25 Jun 2018, 7:07 pm

PokeJediFurBuilder90 wrote:
You know what really grinds my gears? Trying to find friends when you are a Furry. I live in small town America, where the term "Furry" is associated with sexual deviancy. They say you shouldn't fake it in a friendship, so that's why I try to be open to people about being a part of the fandom. Some people are understanding of it, and others just throw me under the bus claiming I'm a sexual deviant. This needs to stop right now people!

Yeah,i know what you mean. I live in a small city myself and people view furries as perverts and tell me to become a anime fan. But i know without a doubt that anime has a adult side. Like i saw at a anime con, a person selling adult anime artwork at a booth. Yet somehow furries get flack,when other fandoms seem ignored for it. I wish people would open their eyes and realize that not all furries are like the stereotypes that are portrayed in csi,vanity fair and such.

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2018, 7:18 pm

You know you are being offensive when you try to point out your mean no offense. Hating a group of people for being a part of a community you don't understand is disgusting. Are you part of the sites sofurry and furaffinity?

foxyfluff
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

25 Jun 2018, 7:27 pm

thewrll wrote:
You know you are being offensive when you try to point out your mean no offense. Hating a group of people for being a part of a community you don't understand is disgusting. Are you part of the sites sofurry and furaffinity?

That would be Biskit69

viewtopic.php?t=364491#p7912692

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2018, 3:58 pm

foxyfluff wrote:
thewrll wrote:

That would be Biskit69

https://wrongplanet.net/forums/viewtopi ... 1#p7912692

Yep, I didn't want to deign to even quote his post.

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2018, 5:59 pm

The co-writer of my favourite webcomic "outed" himself as a Furry on Livejournal a while back, which made me far less inclined to laugh at the usual lazy jokes doing the rounds. Even before that, I couldn't see any harm in it. I'll save all my contempt for trolls and bigots. Respect!