Page 19 of 20 [ 307 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

Aisling
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

21 Oct 2019, 9:42 pm

hi there, got an invite from Stardust! I havent read WH in such a long time, since I was a teen really. It affected me a lot I remember, all that wild unfulfilled passion and tragedy. Must also admit to Kate Bush's song keeping this book alive in my memory!

If anyone doesnt have a copy of the novel (like me), you can read it free online here:

https://www.wuthering-heights.co.uk/wh/ ... chapter_01

Stardust_Dragonfly
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2019, 12:09 pm

On reflection, I like the character of Lockwood. When I’ve previously read WH I’ve looked past what he said to try to get to what I thought of as the ‘actual story’, which was a mistake as we’re seeing things through his eyes so I should have paid more attention. :) It seems his social struggles are what sent him to seek isolation, only to find that’s not what he wanted and ending up tangled in the messiness of WH- and he gets lost in the snow. Poor guy. And the window scene :skull: do you think it was Catherine’s ghost, or a dream or something else?

I loved the snowy descriptions, I could just imagine looking out and the landscape being unrecognisable. I generally love any winter descriptions in books. :heart:

I’m really enjoying the story through Nelly’s eyes, too. I like how honest and forthright she seems- admitting her initial fear of Heathcliff, her taking part in teasing him and later growing fond in a way of him- thinking he was uncomplaining and not vindictive. The animal imagery Nelly uses is quite interesting too and full of contrasts- on one hand, she says Heathcliff is uncomplaining as a lamb, but also describes this as being from hardness which doesn’t seem lamb-like at all, and also describing him as a Cuckoo.

I also found in interesting how she classes herself one of the Lintons, calling them ‘us’ and this contrast between her being a part of the family (being offered a gift by Mr Earnshaw and eating porridge with Cathy and Hindley), and Heathcliff’s introduction to them all. Who is Heathcliff? I remember wondering on my last read if he was actually Mr Earnshaw’s son or a relation of some sort.

:study:

Aisling
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

23 Oct 2019, 1:15 pm

I've only started wading through the vast list of characters already in Chapters One and Two and am confused. This is all me and I dont like reading books online either, you can't dog ear an online page...

Aisling
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

23 Oct 2019, 1:30 pm

Stardust_Dragonfly wrote:
And the window scene :skull: do you think it was Catherine’s ghost, or a dream or something else?

Yes it was a ghost, her icy little ghost hand. Someone posted a photo of Catherine's room at Ponden Hall on Twitter,
I got chills looking at it (I hope this works!)

[https://twitter.com/hell4heather/status/857877773511270401

Stardust_Dragonfly
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2019, 4:15 am

Aisling wrote:
I've only started wading through the vast list of characters already in Chapters One and Two and am confused. This is all me and I dont like reading books online either, you can't dog ear an online page...

If you read it on the kindle app I think you can bookmark it? :)
I think when looking through this thread I came across a previous post by Isabella saying the characters all have similar names/sounds on purpose to mystify the reader. :D If that's true it certainly works, lol.

Here's a brief summary of the characters (thinking if we get confused we can just refer back to this :lol:):

Lockwood: First character we meet, new tenant of Thrushcross Grange.

Heathcliff: Landlord of Thrushcross, orphan that Mr. Earnshaw brings home from Liverpool and raises alongside his own children, Isabellas husband. Linton’s father

Catherine Earnshaw/Linton: Daughter of Mr Earnshaw, sister of Hindley, wife of Edgar, Catherine’s mother.

Hindley Earnshaw: Son of Mr Earnshaw, brother of Catherine, Husband of Frances, Father of Hareton

Mr Earnshaw: Father of Hindley and Catherine

Edgar Linton: Brother of Isabella, husband of Catherine, father of Cathering (younger)

Isabella Linton: Sister of Edgar, wife of Heathcliff, mother of Linton

Frances Earnshaw: wife of Hindley, mother of Hareton

Hareton Earnshaw: son of Frances and Hindley, cousin of Catherine (younger)

Linton Heathcliff: Son of Isabella and Heathcliff, cousin and husband of Catherine (younger)

Catherine (younger/jnr): daughter of Catherine and Edgar, wife (widow) and cousin of Linton, cousin of Hareton

Joseph: Servant that’s worked at WH for a long time, speaks in Yorkshire dialect

Nelly Dean: Servant first of WH and later Thrushcross

Stardust_Dragonfly
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2023, 9:18 pm

Aisling wrote:
Stardust_Dragonfly wrote:
And the window scene :skull: do you think it was Catherine’s ghost, or a dream or something else?

Yes it was a ghost, her icy little ghost hand. Someone posted a photo of Catherine's room at Ponden Hall on Twitter,
I got chills looking at it (I hope this works!)

[https://twitter.com/hell4heather/status/857877773511270401

The descriptions of the hand are very creepy aren't they? :pale: :lol:

That's such a fitting and atmospheric photograph. Ponden Hall is brilliant :heart:
(Ponden is the setting of a recent book, too- 'the girl at the window' by Rowan Coleman. It sounds brilliant and a bit spooky too, I plan to read it soon :D)

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2023, 9:22 pm

Anyone feel like reading WH ? :skull: