Page 4 of 20 [ 307 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 20  Next

feeli0
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2018, 9:13 pm

A bit cheezy anf not reaally Wutheringy. It mean on Ilkley Moor without a hat. ( Bar the hat)

AQ 40
ASD-1

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2018, 9:14 pm

feeli0 wrote:

:heart: I love this feels, minus the #$@@!*# worms part!!

feeli0
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2018, 9:33 pm

The ducks? Could change it to then the ducks will go eat t’wolves.... lol
Sorry way off topic

AQ 40
ASD-1

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2018, 9:41 pm

feeli0 wrote:
The ducks? Could change it to then the ducks will go eat t’wolves.... lol
Sorry way off topic

LMAO
Glad you guys are enjoying my mystical Emily. I stopped after Chapter 3 today. Will commence tomorrow and then wait to see if anyone has thoughts to post.

feeli0
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2018, 9:51 pm

Ive finished chapter 3 too. Do you have a glossary of the more obscure terms such as ‘laiking’ (one of Joseph’s)

AQ 40
ASD-1

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2018, 9:51 pm

feeli0 wrote:
Ive finished chapter 3 too. Do you have a glossary of the more obscure terms such as ‘laiking’ (one of Joseph’s)

Page #? I'll check my different editions. Or, I'll attach this :heart:

Joseph

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2018, 10:36 pm

A quick tangent into the local dialect...

I've not read any Bronte for a very long time, and relatively little; but from memory, I would say that the eye dialect is pretty good, given the limitations of orthography and that the dialect will have changed somewhat since the book was written. I live about 5 miles or so from Haworth, and at one time, on the street in Thornton where the sisters and Branwell were born; I've lived around the accent and dialect for about thirty years now.

Although the T+apostrophe is the idiomatic way of writing the glottal stops in Yorkshire dialect, the "t" is rarely pronounced in this part of Yorkshire (there are relatively few places where it is); it's usually elided to leave just the glottal stop. People trying to imitate a Yorkshire accent get this wrong a lot, and often tend to emphasis the T's; much to the annoyance of Tykes (born and bred Yorkshire folk).

It's been a while since I've heard On Ilkla Moor Baht'at; it was a common campfire song back in my caving days. It's considered something of a cliche over here; no Yorkshire brass band would dare do a concert without it! I rather like that it's such a dark song; cannibalism by proxy!

Translation: Baht'at = without a hat. (for "bah", think "I like them all bar this one.")
Translation: Laikin = not working, having a day off, idling around.

I'm already a bit committed to other books at the moment, but I'll keep an eye on the thread, and if there's any other local dialect etc. that interests anyone, feel free to ask. There are quite a few Yorkshire dialect dictionaries on-line too, but I've never found one that stands out as particularly definitive; even today the dialect is very noticeably different in areas separated by only a few miles. Here particularly, the dialect is quite a mongrel, as it was an area that saw a huge influx of people from elsewhere to work in the mills during the Industrial Revolution, particularly from neighbouring Lancashire and from Ireland.

Tha's med a reet champyun thread. Ah'm bahn fo' t'neet, 'appen ah'll sithee on t'neks login.
Translation: You've made a very good [right champion] thread. I'm off for the night, maybe I'll see you on the next login.)

Redxk
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2018, 11:21 pm

Delightful!

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2018, 11:25 pm

Doubly delightful! My relatives resided in Haworth and Otley at that time, and I'm fascinated by the slight derivations in dialect across West Yorks. Please join us in any conversation, whether or not you'd like to read along!

It's so nice to hear from you again Trogluddite! It's been a few months!

Is

feeli0
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2018, 12:31 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
feeli0 wrote:

Page #? I'll check my different editions. Or, I'll attach this :heart:

Joseph

Thanks that helps. larking as in larking about... all good

AQ 40
ASD-1

feeli0
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2018, 12:39 am

Trogluddite wrote:
A quick tangent into the local dialect...

I've not read any Bronte for a very long time, and relatively little; but from memory, I would say that the eye dialect is pretty good, given the limitations of orthography and that the dialect will have changed somewhat since the book was written. I live about 5 miles or so from Haworth, and at one time, on the street in Thornton where the sisters and Branwell were born; I've lived around the accent and dialect for about thirty years now.

Although the T+apostrophe is the idiomatic way of writing the glottal stops in Yorkshire dialect, the "t" is rarely pronounced in this part of Yorkshire (there are relatively few places where it is); it's usually elided to leave just the glottal stop. People trying to imitate a Yorkshire accent get this wrong a lot, and often tend to emphasis the T's; much to the annoyance of Tykes (born and bred Yorkshire folk).

It's been a while since I've heard On Ilkla Moor Baht'at; it was a common campfire song back in my caving days. It's considered something of a cliche over here; no Yorkshire brass band would dare do a concert without it! I rather like that it's such a dark song; cannibalism by proxy!

Translation: Baht'at = without a hat. (for "bah", think "I like them all bar this one.")
Translation: Laikin = not working, having a day off, idling around.

I'm already a bit committed to other books at the moment, but I'll keep an eye on the thread, and if there's any other local dialect etc. that interests anyone, feel free to ask. There are quite a few Yorkshire dialect dictionaries on-line too, but I've never found one that stands out as particularly definitive; even today the dialect is very noticeably different in areas separated by only a few miles. Here particularly, the dialect is quite a mongrel, as it was an area that saw a huge influx of people from elsewhere to work in the mills during the Industrial Revolution, particularly from neighbouring Lancashire and from Ireland.

Tha's med a reet champyun thread. Ah'm bahn fo' t'neet, 'appen ah'll sithee on t'neks login.
Translation: You've made a very good [right champion] thread. I'm off for the night, maybe I'll see you on the next login.)

Awesome information Trogluddite. I was assuming Joseph's speech was also much older than the vernacular of the day as he was apparently ancient. Dialects do change over time and it gives a glimpse of the history of local language - which I am fascinated with but really do not know much about. For example I compare my dads Bootle accent compared with what I hear on the telly as current scouse accents and I can hear differences. I suppose because I have spent 54 years away from my native land I hear differences. Thanks for contributing here!! !

AQ 40
ASD-1

AprilR
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2018, 4:46 am

I'm currently on chapter 4 also, and really enjoying it! Although i'm glad to know that i'm not the only one having trouble with the dialects, the story is very gripping!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2018, 7:11 am

Joseph says certain words very Scottish—in a “stane” vs “stone” sense.

There’s lots of “air” pronunciations, too.

There no evidence of the “x” phoneme (the “ch” pronunciation in “loch), though.

Was the Yorkshire dialect more Scottish in the old days?

(Scots-English, not Scots-Gaelic)

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2018, 10:38 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Joseph says certain words very Scottish—in a “stane” vs “stone” sense.

There’s lots of “air” pronunciations, too.

There no evidence of the “x” phoneme (the “ch” pronunciation in “loch), though.

Was the Yorkshire dialect more Scottish in the old days?

(Scots-English, not Scots-Gaelic)

Supplementary Reading re: Dialect

This is the most detailed information I can find on Joseph's dialect, from the intro of my book:
The Annotated Wuthering Heights, ed. Janet Gezari, Harvard Press, 2014 p. 18-20

I hope you can read these scans but I'm not sure how large they will be when posted (or how to post them larger).

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2018, 10:41 am

Great explanation. Clarifies things. "West Yorkshire dialect has much in common with Lowland Scots."

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2018, 10:44 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Great explanation. Clarifies things. "West Yorkshire dialect has much in common with Lowland Scots."

Glad to help! I'm sorry the middle page is essentially illegible (blurry).