Page 18 of 20 [ 307 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2019, 7:54 am

Sir Sensealot wrote:
Haven't read any of their works myself though.

Thank you for the video! If you're interested in reading along please let us know!!

Sir Sensealot
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

12 Oct 2019, 4:27 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
If you're interested in reading along please let us know!!

Thanks for the offer. I think I'll have to pass on it. I don't spent a lot of time reading so mostly it takes me a few months to finish an averaged sized book. Might I stumble on a second hand copy in the future, it wouldn't hurt to buy it I guess.

Irimias
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Oct 2019, 5:10 am

I've already read it long ago. A very good book. I've also visited the bronte museum as its not far from where my parents live.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2019, 11:10 am

Sir Sensealot wrote:
Great documentary about the Brontë family and the beautiful countryside they grew up in:

Walking Through History Series 4 Episode 1: Brontë Country

Haven't read any of their works myself though.

I enjoyed the video but the autistic part of me can't refrain from pointing out three small errors.

The video states that Charlotte went to Belgium to be a teacher. This is partly true, but it fails to mention that Emily and Charlotte both journeyed to Brussels together, as students, to master French composition and German philosophy. Whilst there, Emily, an accomplished pianist, taught music. The sisters returned home in 1842 upon the death of their Aunt, but Charlotte returned to Belgium alone in 1843, as a teacher of English. Her love affair with Héger changed the course of English literature.

A second error: This video states that Jane Eyre's success prompted Emily and Anne to publish their novels. In reality, Emily and Anne's novels were complete by mid 1847, and accepted for publication by Thomas Newby, whereas Charlotte's book, The Professor, which was expected to complete the sisters' three volume set, was rejected repeatedly; Jane Eyre was yet to be penned. Charlotte, in envy of her sisters, wrote Jane Eyre in the summer of 1847 and it was published swiftly by Smith, Elder and Co. in October 1847, just ahead of her sisters' novels. WH and AG weren't released until December 1847 because of delays by Thomas Newby, but the novels were written and sent to publication before Jane Eyre was yet conceived. To this effect, Emily's and Anne's writing compelled Charlotte to create her masterpiece novel, and not vice versa.

The third error is in the end of the video, where it is asserted that all of the Brontës are interred in the family vault at St. Michael's. Anne died and was buried in Scarborough in May 1849, during her holiday with Charlotte, and Ellen Nussey. She is the only Brontë not lain to rest under the church floor boards. This fact was not stated, and its omission is disrespectful to Anne.

I'm sorry for adding corrections. It was a beautiful video clip, but errors really grate on me. Sorry for being pedantic but that's my OCD personality and attention to detail. I can't help it.

Sir Sensealot

12 Oct 2019, 1:42 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
I'm sorry for adding corrections. It was a beautiful video clip, but errors really grate on me. Sorry for being pedantic but that's my OCD personality and attention to detail. I can't help it.

No worries. Seems like some facts are clearly not checked properly. I think it's important that the research team involved in making a documentary should do a thorough job, but apparently this isn't always the case.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2019, 3:45 pm

Sir Sensealot wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:

No worries. Seems like some facts are clearly not checked properly. I think it's important that the research team involved in making a documentary should do a thorough job, but apparently this isn't always the case.

Thanks for agreeing with me. I'm always irked by this error on Google, as well. It states that Isabella Linton's child is Catherine Linton, which is wrong. The child "Catherine" is her niece.

Isabella and Heathcliff have a son, who is named Linton.

I wonder how to correct Google / Wikipedia?

Stardust_Dragonfly
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2019, 7:40 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Hello and of course you may join!! !

Ponden Hall and the Heatons are certainly reputed to be a possible inspiration for the book. I think I mentioned it last year in some of our group posts. Ironically, I was just looking at pictures of the box bed yesterday.

When would you want to start reading?

I'm good to start whenever. :D I've never been part of a reading group before so I'm not sure how it works. Do we post our thoughts as we finish a chapter? I feel like I struggle a bit with putting things into words myself, so if I say anything confusing please ask me what I mean :lol: this might help me to improve :)

I've just had a look through this thread and seen the pictures of Ponden. It's an amazing place to stay, although I don't think I could sleep in the box bed 8O. I loved seeing the tiny books, too- they fascinate me.

I’ve always really loved the intensity and emotion Wuthering Heights has, as well as the descriptions of nature and the moors. It's like they have that same intensity and are almost a character, too. I'm looking forward to reading it again and learning more. :D

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2019, 8:32 am

Hi Stardust,
It looks like it's just you and me, kid! :wink: Please start whenever you'd like. I'll probably get through a chapter or two today. I'll post some thoughts or observations as I go, and you're free to do the same. No structure necessary!

:skull:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2019, 8:52 am

Last night was perfect "Wuthering" weather.

Rain; swirling wind; leaves flying; ocean, rivers, and lakes in tumult.....

19th century ladies' hair flowing with the wind. Hats falling off heads......

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2019, 1:00 pm

I read two chapters with a focus on WH as a psychological prison: the inhabitants are detached from society as inmates with no sign posts for escape, and "buried alive" in their own solitude or isolation.

I also looked at themes of boundaries, and the tension of dualism: South vs. North, Lockwood's analysis of Heathcliff as an extension and reflection of his own psyche, Catherine as a 'beneficent fairy' vs. 'dark witch', and gender role reversals for people in their natural state.

Other themes to consider:
Physical boundaries
Social boundaries
Animal imagery
Reality vs. delusion

I'm analysing Lockwood's role a lot more than I usually do. Charlotte Brontë said that Emily required an interpreter between herself and the world, so I'm viewing Lockwood as her interpreter between psychology and social demand. He is flawed from the start and proves himself highly unreliable.

I'm also seeing autistic traits throughout these chapters, but that's just my confirmation bias!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2019, 7:58 am

One could actually edit Wikipedia.

Just sign up for it.

It’s better if you could cite where you got the info that Catherine was Isabella’s niece—a passage from the novel.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2019, 8:10 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
One could actually edit Wikipedia.

Just sign up for it.

It’s better if you could cite where you got the info that Catherine was Isabella’s niece—a passage from the novel.

Well that would be cute! Isabella Linton logs in to Wikipedia to correct her child's name ... :wink:

Is that image box that I attached (about Isabella) generated by Wikipedia? I wasn't even sure. It comes up when I google her name. I'll try reading the actual Wikipedia information page, but I think it's accurate if I remember correctly.

Update: Yes, the regular Wikipedia page of information says she has a son.

Stardust_Dragonfly
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2019, 8:02 am

Hey! :)
I've read the first two chapters so far. I'm reading it on the kindle, it says it's the '1910 John Murray edition'.
Looking at it from the point of view of a psychological prison and being detached from society is an interesting take! :) I can see where you’re coming from- Lockwood seems to have gone there specifically for the isolation and detachment, and when he thinks Catherine jr. is married to Hareton he thinks she’s thrown herself away due to being ‘buried alive’ and not knowing any better :lol:.

They all seem a bit detached from each other too, I think? They all have their own issues that they’re going through, Heathcliff with his obsession for revenge (I don’t understand why he’s seen as a romantic hero when he’s awful :lol: ), Hareton being kept like a servant, and Catherine jr being literally imprisoned there, with nowhere else she could go. It’s strange how Lockwood thinks he’s out of place in the ‘pleasant family circle’- is it that although they are all out of place they somehow fit together in a way he can’t contribute to, or is he perceiving the scene differently (like when he thought the dogs would be friendly and mistook the rabbits for cats)? Why did he go back the next day when he thought he wasn’t wanted there, going so far as to jump over the fence? I’d never really considered him much before but he is quite interesting. :)

I’ve found the contrasts quite interesting too- Heathcliff and the room he’s in, the ‘cats’ actually being dead rabbits, how the dogs are perceived and their actual nature, and the two opposing descriptions of Catherine (Fairy and Witch). It all seems to add to the feeling of not quite knowing what is going on, like looking through fog or something.

I can see why now is the perfect time for reading Wuthering Heights, I usually get it muddled up with books and read ones with winter descriptions in summer and vice versa :lol:. I’m hoping to read more today and post later too :)

(sorry for replying so late, I’ve had this terrible cold and not been online much.)

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2019, 1:20 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
I enjoyed the video but the autistic part of me can't refrain from pointing out three small errors.

I didn't watch all of it, but there are some great continuity errors for locals to spot, too. I used to live just around the corner from Green Lane in Thornton where he begins, and the following shot of him walking down Sapgate can only be explained by the desire to find pretty "period authentic" cobbles for him to walk on! (good camera work to keep the crappier aspects of Market Street out of shot, too!) And I hope that someone helpfully pointed him in the right direction when he strides off across Ogden Reservoir in the wrong direction! Always nice to see some of my favourite haunts and hear a little bit of our local accent, though.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2019, 1:35 pm

Trogluddite wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:

I didn't watch all of it, but there are some great continuity errors for locals to spot, too. I used to live just around the corner from Green Lane in Thornton where he begins, and the following shot of him walking down Sapgate can only be explained by the desire to find pretty "period authentic" cobbles for him to walk on! (good camera work to keep the crappier aspects of Market Street out of shot, too!) And I hope that someone helpfully pointed him in the right direction when he strides off across Ogden Reservoir in the wrong direction! Always nice to see some of my favourite haunts and hear a little bit of our local accent, though.

My 3x great grandparents lived at Newall Hill (Lodge and Main), and others were wool combers at Oldfield Gate farm. Many are in the St. Michael's graveyard. It's so nice to hear your input. Such a pity you don't have your PM on so I can say hello.

Aisling
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

21 Oct 2019, 9:42 pm

hi there, got an invite from Stardust! I havent read WH in such a long time, since I was a teen really. It affected me a lot I remember, all that wild unfulfilled passion and tragedy. Must also admit to Kate Bush's song keeping this book alive in my memory!

If anyone doesnt have a copy of the novel (like me), you can read it free online here:

https://www.wuthering-heights.co.uk/wh/ ... chapter_01