Page 3 of 5 [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Feb 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 99,729
Location: the island of defective toy santas

05 Dec 2018, 3:38 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
The only instrument I play is Texas Instruments :wink:

does it make musical sounds? on the subject of transistors, you might consider picking up an Omnichord and toying around with it, you might like it a lot. :dj:



lelia
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 11 Apr 2007
Age: 68
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,897
Location: Vancouver not BC, Washington not DC

05 Dec 2018, 3:43 pm

Auntblabby, there are so many beautiful instruments: violin, marimba, harmonica .... and harp. Harp might well be the queen. I wonder if it takes as long to learn as a Sitar.



blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 19 Nov 2017
Age: 67
Gender: Female
Posts: 4,512

05 Dec 2018, 7:55 pm

AspE wrote:
blazingstar wrote:
AspE wrote:
Fretless Tackhead Banjo. Made it myself.


YES! Do you like it? Have you heard Rhiannon Giddens play fretless minstrel banjo? I am playing a fretted banjo...I'm afraid I will always be out of tune with fretless.

I started out playing piano and violin in grade school through half of high school. Played piano for a while with contra dance musicians, but only performed a few times. Played a little bit of Irish fiddle. I have a beautiful Yamaha upright grand that doesn't get played enough. :( And three banjos. The main one is an Eastman reproduction of the Whyte Laydie. Don't you love that name? :D

Those are nice. I have heard Rhiannon Giddens, she's incredible. If you can play fiddle, that's fretless too, so... very similar skill.


I had/have trouble with hitting the notes on the violin. :oops:

RG: did you see her TED talk? Wow! And every time I hear Julie, I get goose bumps. She is one powerful woman.


_________________
paralysis by over-analysis


AspE
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 31 Dec 2007
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,114

05 Dec 2018, 9:27 pm

Yeah, Julie. That song made me tear up. Very powerful.



Ligma
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

User avatar

Joined: 14 Dec 2018
Age: 19
Gender: Male
Posts: 41

16 Dec 2018, 4:33 pm

guitar, bass, drums & piano/keyboard



funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Oct 2014
Age: 36
Gender: Male
Posts: 9,324
Location: I'm on the streets like curbs

16 Dec 2018, 10:54 pm

I play guitar and bass, program drum machines and synths, I can sing and I'm starting to get the hang of rapping.



Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 11 Mar 2013
Age: 41
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,276
Location: Dunking jammy dodgers

17 Dec 2018, 10:42 am

Guitar. Mainly rhythm. Mostly use an acoustic, I just love the quiet, gentle sound of it. So much emotion in an acoustic guitar.

Would love to play piano. Been looking at possibly buying a 2nd hand one sometime soon.



Blue_Star
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

User avatar

Joined: 3 Sep 2009
Age: 39
Gender: Female
Posts: 141

17 Dec 2018, 11:30 am

Still played occasionally: piano (began at preschool age) & alto sax (fifth grade)
Haven't played in years: soprano sax (shaped like a sax, not a straight one; seventh grade) & metal clarinet (eighth grade)
Stopped learning as a kid: ukulele (maybe sixth or seventh grade)
Misc other: recorder (fourth grade, school req) & hand chimes (fourth grade)



IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 Nov 2017
Gender: Female
Posts: 34,122

21 Dec 2018, 7:13 pm

Does anyone play harmonica? I might get one as a last minute gift for someone who plays guitar, bass, sitar, percussion, sax, trumpet, keyboard, piano, etc. I just have a few questions!



Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 10 Apr 2014
Age: 39
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,603
Location: USA

21 Dec 2018, 7:20 pm

I don't anymore, not when I've got an entire orchestra available to compose with in my sequencing software. That said, Euphonium used to be my main instrument, but I played trombone in jazz band, tuba in marching band, trumpet as a child, F. horn in the 2nd band, and picked up guitar and alto sax on my own.



IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 Nov 2017
Gender: Female
Posts: 34,122

21 Dec 2018, 7:42 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Does anyone play harmonica? I might get one as a last minute gift for someone who plays guitar, bass, sitar, percussion, sax, trumpet, keyboard, piano, etc. I just have a few questions!


Harmonica in Key of C? Major C? Key of G? Blues? (Oh wait you can get 12 kinds from A - G Sharp? ... ) 8O

I have no idea what any of that means!



Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 10 Apr 2014
Age: 39
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,603
Location: USA

21 Dec 2018, 10:34 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
Does anyone play harmonica? I might get one as a last minute gift for someone who plays guitar, bass, sitar, percussion, sax, trumpet, keyboard, piano, etc. I just have a few questions!


Harmonica in Key of C? Major C? Key of G? Blues? (Oh wait you can get 12 kinds from A - G Sharp? ... ) 8O

I have no idea what any of that means!

There are 12 'keys' in music, a harmonica, not having moving parts to change notes, can only play in one key. So if you're playing a bunch of different songs in different keys you'll need more than one harmonica to accomplish that. If you can only get one, I'd say it depends on the music you're playing. If it's a type of music that also features a guitar then E and A are your best bet (E and A are the most common guitar chords). If it's blues get a blues one, etc.



IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 Nov 2017
Gender: Female
Posts: 34,122

21 Dec 2018, 10:36 pm

Aristophanes wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
Does anyone play harmonica? I might get one as a last minute gift for someone who plays guitar, bass, sitar, percussion, sax, trumpet, keyboard, piano, etc. I just have a few questions!


Harmonica in Key of C? Major C? Key of G? Blues? (Oh wait you can get 12 kinds from A - G Sharp? ... ) 8O

I have no idea what any of that means!

There are 12 'keys' in music, a harmonica, not having moving parts to change notes, can only play in one key. So if you're playing a bunch of different songs in different keys you'll need more than one harmonica to accomplish that. If you can only get one, I'd say it depends on the music you're playing. If it's a type of music that also features a guitar then E and A are your best bet (E and A are the most common guitar chords). If it's blues get a blues one, etc.


Thank you very much! That's extremely helpful! Yes, it would nearly always be used in conjunction with guitar and / or blues. I'll go from there and ask more questions in the shop so I don't sound totally clueless! Thanks again and happy holidays!



AltoClarinet
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

Joined: 2 Jan 2018
Gender: Female
Posts: 54
Location: Montreal, Canada

22 Dec 2018, 10:07 am

I'd like to get back into playing piano. I have a nice electric piano, but it's still at my dad's house.



zcientist
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

User avatar

Joined: 14 Dec 2018
Gender: Male
Posts: 404
Location: Mee-chee-gan

23 Dec 2018, 1:07 pm

Bass guitar, and I'm fairly new to it.


_________________
"Think of me when you look to the night sky..."-Zorak from SGC2C


Chummy
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 14 Dec 2010
Age: 27
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,318
Location: Micronesia

02 Jan 2019, 7:19 pm

Kiprobalhato wrote:
Chummy wrote:
Kiprobalhato wrote:
piano. trying to get my hands on a yamaha digital piano with weighted keys.

learning some guitar. i have a strat.


I've got the YAMAHA Montage, it's a beast and one of Yamaha's current best instruments.
But it is as expensive as a car. If you are looking for something cheaper, the Roland RD-2000 can be had for cheaper especially 2nd hands prices are real good! and as a bonus it has wooden parts in its piano keys which Yamaha's don't have unless you go way up in prices to some of their Clavinova models (which may cost like a high end sports car)

Or, a real bargain would be the Kawai MP11. Since the MP11SE came out 2nd hand prices dropped vastly on the original model. It's nearly identical. Hardware is the same, it just has some minor improvements and 1/2 more piano sounds - but I heard it has the best piano action just like an acoustic grand, full wooden keys/action in cheaper prices than what you would get from YAMAHA since Kawai is a much smaller company.


i don't have a house to sell.


Nobody has. Just saying buy it second hand. It's less expensive than you think. I mean you could always go for something really cheap, but would you enjoy it as much? learning on too cheap of an instrument might deter you from continuing playing it. And even if not, you should always learn on a good sounding piano no matter your level of play, especially if you are a beginner obviously. Of course I don't say you have to get the flagship models, duh, but an older Flagship model or even mid range price of earlier generation that just got a replacement model will just be a steal in second hand prices. Like literally!