Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

dyadiccounterpoint
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 May 2019, 6:28 pm

I've put in many hours in devotion to my craft, both in terms of technique and theory, but I simply can't improvise well with others. It doesn't matter how simple the genre is. I start overthinking everything, fall behind, and really have issues getting into the group vibe.

Does anyone else struggle with spontaneous group oriented improv vs. solitary composition?

We seldom realize, for example, that our most private thoughts and emotions are not actually our own. For we think in terms of languages and images which we did not invent, but which were given to us by our society - Alan Watts

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2019, 6:32 pm

I play tabletop RPGs -- have been since about 1980. You don't have to worry about blocking or hitting your mark (unless you're using miniatures), as the action all takes place in your head. They're great for improvising dialog, and if someone takes notes, the story can be re-narrated later.

It's been said that Firefly and Serenity were born out of Joss Whedon's own Traveller campaign, but he will neither confirm nor deny it.

:D

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

elbowgrease
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2019, 8:55 am

I've barely ever played with other people. Other than a guy I grew up with who played the drums.
I find it really difficult to improvise by myself, like I need to hold whatever the tune is together even though there's no one but me listening to it. I think it would be a lot easier to improvise with a group. But I don't know how well I would do at improvising WITH the group, if that makes sense.