Audiophile Amplifier Headphones Question....

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2018, 1:56 pm

I have a question for anyone who owns a pair of headphones that have an internal amplifier:

I bought a pair of Blue brand wired headphones. They're the model known as "Sadie". They have an internal amplifier in the headphones. They look like this:

They have three available settings:

"Off" - In this mode you can use them as passive headphones.
"On" - In this mode the internal amp is on.
"On+" - According to the manual, this mode: "applies the amplifier's analog low-frequency enhancement circuit" aka Bass boost.

I do NOT play music in headphones on high volume since I have hyperacusis and also tinnitus. I'm extremely cautious about this. As such, I generally play music in headphones at a low or very low volume level (no fun, I know, but my days of "cranking it" are in the past. I want to keep my hearing intact).

My question: On low volume with the amp turned on, I hear the hum of the amp in addition to the music. This hum goes away if I do increase the volume of the music, but that would be louder than I would want to listen. The "Bass Boost" hum is a bit more pronounced yet. I assume the hum from an internal amp is unavoidable and "normal"?

I'm very particular about sounds. I already have a pair of passive stereo headphones that look like this:

They work well, and the padding over the head is more comfortable than the "Sadie".

I will say with the amp turned on, the "Sadie" headphone sound reproduction is better than the pair of passive David Clark headphones. I just opened the "Sadie" box today and I did crack a small smile hearing just a few songs so far with the amp on....

I'm going to listen to them a bit more to see how I like them, I guess the hum from the amp is something I'm not used to so I'm fixated on that.....

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2018, 2:05 pm

The usual source of hum is the electric field created by the AC power wiring. If you had a dual trace oscilloscope you would be able to see that the signals are in phase. It is generally picked up by the wiring between electronic devices. A clever way of reducing the pickup of AC fields is to twist the wire, creating a "twisted pair."