Do you ever feel bad about abandoning a project?

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2019, 8:52 pm

Sometimes I have a lot of concepts at once and end up scrapping a story idea in favour of a new one. It can be difficult to see a story all the way through. Whilst I've managed to finish short stories, I have yet to bring a long one to completion. Currently attempting that with a story which is in the works. Maybe I'll even animate it at some point, but I shouldn't get too ahead of myself. Sometimes my ambition leads to my worst habits. I attempt too much. Hopefully I don't end up abandoning this one, because it's coming along quite nicely. I'll probably look back on it in the future and wonder what on Earth I was thinking when writing such rubbish though. :lol:

Unfortunately, I'm keeping the plot of this one a secret. Just in case it does lead to something, I don't want to risk trouble by revealing the plot online before the release. However, it seems unlikely. I should just focus on actually finishing the story for now! :wink:

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2019, 4:59 pm

I rarely abandon them, they end up shelved and forgotten (or sometimes not).

Sometimes they get reinterpreted, like 'my movie script' turned into 'my novel'.
Currently that's low priority because I'm working on my mixtape, but a second diorama and a shelf are both calling me. (The diorama and shelf both evolved out of an earlier project).

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2019, 10:24 pm

I've abandoned plenty of stuff I've written in the past, and have felt terrible about it. But I've also picked up the abandoned projects later, and finished them.

TUF
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2019, 6:35 am

I always abandon long pieces of prose writing. I think in short lyrical spurts.

In the end, I quit writing them. People say you can make money out of novels. While it's true that you can make more money from novels than poems, (not JK Rowling) it still isn't something - with a few exceptions - where you can make a fortune. And I don't write for cash, I write because I need to or for fun or for beauty.

If I want to write for cash I write an article and get £40 for it. They pay loads for fact based articles. That's the most I've ever earned on a piece of writing and although the research took a lot more effort than I'm used to, the craft of writing involved was almost non-existent. Just my natural writing style.

I feel bad about my visual art. I always want to have a beautifully detailed piece but that takes a lot of time. My favourite artists are aspies who do (such as Stephen Wiltshire) or the artists some people suspect of being autistic, from a time before autism (too many to mention). People who have elaborate detail in their art, so much so sometimes that you need a magnifying glass to see it all.

Instead my stuff is relatively minimalist. That's because I lose patience if I don't finish it in the space of six hours or so. And I'm a perfectionist.

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2019, 7:02 am

I do feel bad, but not so bad now I've read the above posts. Maybe it's all part of tortured artist syndrome.

My novels usually get so complicated and go down so many blind alleys that I usually give up... and it stresses the hell out of me. I'm thinking of starting another fantasy novel, but this time writing it entirely for myself, rather than trying to write it for an ideal imaginary reader. If I finish it, I may publish on line, for free.

My main talent however, is for line drawings... faces and figures. But a nuerological condition has largely killed my ability to do that... I just can't get the fine control over my fingers. I have recently tried doing some more stuff and it's ok, but my confidence is just not there. It's not all doom and gloom, though, I now tend to do large canvasses, but I'd describe them as decorative art rather than fine art.

But... keep on going, everyone... and that includes me!

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame

Rustifer
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Feb 2019, 12:31 am

No. That is because I don't abandon anything that is not good for me or hasn't already run its course. The exception might be if I was forced to abandon something due to health or some such thing so I just hope it doesn't come to that.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2019, 3:44 pm

It has happened, but I eventually return to them at some point.

Currently, I'm trying to finish a historical dramedy about Franz Kafka (it will be called "The Transition") and his relationship with Felice Bauer, but if I get stuck, I'll just set it aside and work on something else.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2019, 4:12 pm

AnonymousAnonymous wrote:

Currently, I'm trying to finish a historical dramedy about Franz Kafka (it will be called "The Transition") and his relationship with Felice Bauer, but if I get stuck, I'll just set it aside and work on something else.

Sounds intriguing!
I myself had written a story inspired by The Metamorphosis called The Gregor Samsa Appreciation Society. In fact, that had been my first published story.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2019, 4:15 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:

Sounds intriguing!
I myself had written a story inspired by The Metamorphosis called The Gregor Samsa Appreciation Society. In fact, that had been my first published story.

I want to read it!

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2019, 4:30 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:

Sounds intriguing!

I want to read it!

It can be found on Amazon in an anthology called A Roll Of The Dice. This is the first compilation of short stories written by the writers group I belong to called The Science Fiction, Fantasy, and Horror Writers Of Spokane. We also have A Roll Of The Dice II, available on Amazon, too.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2019, 4:35 pm

I used to write a lot as a kid and teen, before just stopping altogether as I turned 20. Even before that I abandoned nearly every story at some point. Very few were finished.
I didn't feel bad about it in most cases, because I just wanted to write something else instead (lost interest), or got stuck.

I have my share of unfinished games too.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2019, 4:30 am

Always

That is why I have stayed too long doing things when there are more useful things I could be doing.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman