Any rolling stones fans? Brian Jones an Aspie?

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

TheCheekyRambler
Butterfly
Butterfly

14 Jan 2019, 6:39 am

I've been doing some reading on Brian Jones, the founder of the rolling stones.

He seemed to have some aspergers traits
Didn't trust other people.
Music was his life and he was gifted in his work.
Struggled to fit in with band members and was kicked out of the band for not turning up. He was alienated as the other band mates had to "carry" him.
Struggled with addiction possibly due to the pressure of being famous.
Has been described as hyper sensitive.
Suffered with mental health issues.
Wanted to travel alone when touring with the band. https://youtu.be/i-tnMHbaLws notice in the video his fidgeting (stimming) and complaining of the bright lights.

Anybody have any thoughts?

Edit. Also i found this written on another forum that gives a deeper insight however not much was known about Brian.

Quote:
He was:
-Highly talented, able to quickly learn and master any given instrument. Started off professionally trained with the piano and recorder.

-Bored easily (he for example only took up the guitar to begin with as he got bored of the recorder and piano; abandoned the guitar for more exotic instruments as the guitar bored him). Once he mastered an instrument, it held no more interest for him.

-Highly insecure (for example, according to exes, he DID write songs or the beginnings of songs and played them for her, but was too insecure to show them to the Stones)

-Highly paranoid. This worked in tandem with his insecurity and each fed off the other. His heavy drug abuse, and subsequent mistreatment by the Stones as well as ALO isolating him from the band, only worked to increase his paranoia. His paranoia and insecurities worked together to stop him from fully committing to any solo work as well as potentially bringing full fledged songs to the table in the Stones.

-Vain and petulant, but also of very low self esteem. Needed a constant stream of people around him to keep his morale up.

-Didn't like to be pushed or forced, and didn't like to spend hours working on songs whereas Keith and Mick would work for hours/days perfecting a riff/song/etc. When interested, was said to become very driven and almost like a different person.

-Arguably suffered from a sense low self worth and what we'd probably call Bipolar Disorder now, perhaps with Schizoid features, which made him vicious at times and quite nasty to be around (these qualities were worsened still by the underlying lack of self worth, paranoia, insecurity, which in turn was fed by the mistreatment and isolation). The heavy drug abuse also heightened these issues he had to an unbearable degree, which in 1969 made him seem like a douche rather than a genuinely troubled person since things like BPD were unknown or really untreatable.

Also, while he was initially a blues purist, by 1968, he was deeply interested in electronic music and what we'd today call world music or prog. The new, bluesy, simpler circa 1968 Stones tracks likely bored him and so his contributions declined further and indicated a divide between he and the band. He would show up to the studio with an exotic instrument in 1968 which was deemed unneeded on a track for example and placed away from the band in a booth...So he eventually stopped turning up to sessions...Which only further diminished his status in the band. Brian is all over Beggar's, but it's on non-guitar tracks, fit more for experimental music than blues rock.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 155 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 47 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

Astroecho
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

14 Jan 2019, 8:07 am

Love the Stones! Interesting idea Cheeky Rambler.
I just looked on Wiki and says 'Both Jones' parents were interested in music: his father, Lewis, was a piano teacher in addition to his job as an aeronautical engineer, and his mother, Louisa, played piano and organ and led the choir at the local church.' and he passed Chemistry and physics A levels.
Who knows? He had a few children very young he didn't see and would be interesting if traits showed up in them but we will prob never know. He'd be just the sort of angsty musician I'd have liked when younger! lol

TheCheekyRambler
Butterfly
Butterfly

14 Jan 2019, 8:14 am

I never thought about his children, but that too is an interesting thought.
There were many things about him that people put down to him thinking he was better than the rest of the band but he's very insecure and fragile and Mick and Keith would apparently not go easy on him often taunting him when things became tough for the band because of his constant let downs and drug use often. I do not believe he would have thought he was more important.

Thankyou for your reply.

Astroecho

14 Jan 2019, 9:00 am

I know I would have found it awful if the band I'd got together rejected me and didn't appreciate my ideas. One of the infamous '27 Club'. Such a shame as he was amazing.

You could be on to something Cheeky. 8)

lostproperty
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2019, 9:46 am

Wasn't it Keith stealing his girlfriend that triggered his demise?
I don't know how an aspie would be able to cope with being a rock star with all of the pressures of fame but then Peter Tork (who was eventually diagnosed) managed it, although he did The Monkees after 3 years.

TheCheekyRambler
Butterfly
Butterfly

14 Jan 2019, 10:51 am

Astroecho wrote:
I know I would have found it awful if the band I'd got together rejected me and didn't appreciate my ideas. One of the infamous '27 Club'. Such a shame as he was amazing.

You could be on to something Cheeky. 8)
Club 27 became one of my special subjects for a while. So young :cry:

TheCheekyRambler
Butterfly
Butterfly

14 Jan 2019, 11:00 am

lostproperty wrote:
Wasn't it Keith stealing his girlfriend that triggered his demise?
I don't know how an aspie would be able to cope with being a rock star with all of the pressures of fame but then Peter Tork (who was eventually diagnosed) managed it, although he did The Monkees after 3 years.

Yes Anita Pallenberg. This could be a big trigger i believe.
Most likely a collective of things. He didn't make it easy for himself.

Astroecho

14 Jan 2019, 5:22 pm

I wish the site just had a 'thumbs up ' icon :) I also hope that the Rolling Stones gave some money to the kids he had but didn't care that much about (Wiki has some women just paid off to go away). I know that seems a bit over the top but I really hate it how kids get the short straw.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2019, 2:07 pm

Interesting speculation, but hard to prove.

Have heard, and read, bits and pieces about the inter band conflict between Jones, and the rest of the stones. Some have cited class differences (Jones was upper middle class, and the rest were working class), others of cited a certain "ethical gap " between him and the rest (he was obsessed with crediting the Black American bluesmasters who originated many of their songs, and the were rest cavalier about it), and just general jealousy between all five of them (Charlie Watts almost punched out Jagger when Jagger asked "hows my drummer?" "I don't go around saying 'hows my singer to him'").

It could be that there was also a neurological gap between Jones and the rest. And none of the above and that are mutually exclusive. He might have been aspie on top of the above, or...not. Who knows?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2019, 2:35 pm

Brian Jones was one of the founding members of the Rolling Stones. He drowned in a swimming pool after ingesting copious amounts of amphetamines, barbiturates and alcohol. At least it put an end to his woman-beating ways. It was likely the beatings that drove Anita into Keith's arms.